Erie Otters 2023-24 Offseason Thread (Part 2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Guy In Burlington

Mar 17, 2022
Seem to remember Brad Boyes being out a few weeks with mono during our 1st championship season.
You remember correctly. It was before the ‘02 World Juniors, and he did recover in time to play in the tournament although he wasn’t great. In fact, Stan Butler was the coach of that team and after it was done he said he was going to call Sherry Bassin and tell him to get Boyes on a power skating program.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
I’d be really surprised if it hurts him draft wise.
All it takes is a few guys out of Martone, Misa, Hensler, trethewey, McQueen, Frondell, Ryabkin to start off real hot and and Schaefer starts off slow from hypothetically a while with no hardcore activities. It’s not like he will be end of the first round because of this but may not go 2 or 3 like how he has had some sites list him.

The big one though is the 2 Canada Vs US prospect games. Definitely can’t miss those- and he has to do well in those too. Will be playing all the top Americans and with the top Canadians. I have tickets to the Oshawa game I’d love to see him play.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
All it takes is a few guys out of Martone, Misa, Hensler, trethewey, McQueen, Frondell, Ryabkin to start off real hot and and Schaefer starts off slow from hypothetically a while with no hardcore activities. It’s not like he will be end of the first round because of this but may not go 2 or 3 like how he has had some sites list him.

The big one though is the 2 Canada Vs US prospect games. Definitely can’t miss those- and he has to do well in those too. Will be playing all the top Americans and with the top Canadians. I have tickets to the Oshawa game I’d love to see him play.
Most important are the last viewings. The further Erie goes in the playoffs, the better for Schaefer and Spence. Everyone loves a winner.

Reactions: sbpointer and RB76

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
I’d be really surprised if it hurts him draft wise.

It kinda depends on how it goes, mono can linger for weeks or months and it's not like a bruised ankle that you can just baby and play through, it can really kick your ass while you have it

Wouldn't be the first player to have his draft stock slapped around by mono. Timothy Liljegren comes to mind as a recent one. Sean Couturier was in the 1-2 convo with Adam Larsson but mono derailed his draft season.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
It kinda depends on how it goes, mono can linger for weeks or months and it's not like a bruised ankle that you can just baby and play through, it can really kick your ass while you have it

Wouldn't be the first player to have his draft stock slapped around by mono. Timothy Liljegren comes to mind as a recent one. Sean Couturier was in the 1-2 convo with Adam Larsson but mono derailed his draft season.
To your point, everyone reacts differently and it’s too early to speculate. If it lingers or is a worst case situation, yes - of course it can impact his draft slot. But it happening now vs say February is a big difference. Even if it lingers until the holiday, he still has a full second half of the season plus potential playoffs to bounce back and with his talent, that might be all he needs to get back to the top of people’s draft boards. Will have to wait and see

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
To your point, everyone reacts differently and it’s too early to speculate. If it lingers or is a worst case situation, yes - of course it can impact his draft slot. But it happening now vs say February is a big difference. Even if it lingers until the holiday, he still has a full second half of the season plus potential playoffs to bounce back and with his talent, that might be all he needs to get back to the top of people’s draft boards. Will have to wait and see

Missing the first half of the season can completely derail a draft year though. It's already a lot of pressure and then you lose half of your window of opportunity, so much extra pressure gets thrown on that second half and you're working from way behind because you haven't been on the ice & in games while everyone is in midseason form.

There's no perfect time to get mono lol but I don't think I'd pick the start of the season since you could end up with 0 games at 100%

The good thing for Schaefer is, draft positioning doesn't define a player so it really won't actually impact the trajectory of his career at the end of the day

ZinErie

Nov 12, 2013
The year Erie won their 1st championship, Brad Boyes had mono before the Christmas break. He was Electric the 2nd half of the season, en route to his 2nd consecutive MVP. Most people who get mono don't suffer the effects for months. Is it possible? Sure. Schaefer apparently contracted mono a month before the start of the regular season. So it's also possible he'll be at 100% when the season starts.

Reactions: NOA and Mata

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
The year Erie won their 1st championship, Brad Boyes had mono before the Christmas break. He was Electric the 2nd half of the season, en route to his 2nd consecutive MVP. Most people who get mono don't suffer the effects for months. Is it possible? Sure. Schaefer apparently contracted mono a month before the start of the regular season. So it's also possible he'll be at 100% when the season starts.
Yeah and even some of the cited examples were still high draft picks. Could it slide him from 3rd overall to like 7th? Sure. But if he’s THAT special to warrant a top 5, let alone top 3 pick, then even half a season + playoffs will show that and teams aren’t going to be scared away from early year play when you can cite mono as part of the cause. Missing later in the year is much more likely to disturb things. And to Zin’s point, while it can happen, it’s pretty rare to linger for 3-4 months..

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
I would have to agree with those stating it SHOULDN'T affect his draft stock unless something out of the ordinary happens with regards to it. We aren't talking a serious injury, it's a relatively common virus amongst teenagers.

His on ice play to end the season last year in the playoffs coupled with his world juniors play matter more than this minor setback. Unless this somehow drastically affects his on ice performance it shouldn't be cause for alarm.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad