Erie Otters 2023-24 Offseason Thread (Part 2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
The sign of how horrible our goalies might be coupled with a high octane offense.

So... Does Clarke actually have a shot at making the final roster?

I'm surprised he played in all 3 games and there are only 16 fwds that have played games for Erie. Their updates on the camp are so bad, he may already be back with Elmira lol

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
So... Does Clarke actually have a shot at making the final roster?

I'm surprised he played in all 3 games and there are only 16 fwds that have played games for Erie. Their updates on the camp are so bad, he may already be back with Elmira lol

He will possibly get minimum games and be sent down to the junior team as a best case. However, Erie must still deal away either Molnar or Misiak and that COULD return a player landing in front of him.

Our returning players are really deep on offense, in that, most would agree there are a pretty solid 9 - 11 guys in front of him with OHL experience.

Given the moves the team has made thus far, anything is possible, but I would say he could get called up due to injury and/or for the 8 - 10 games looking into next season being more of a draw for minutes.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Appears Curran has been removed as a goalie on the preseason roster, unless it is a glitch of course. This would indicate Burns and Erliden will be our opening day duo barring another trade.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Appears Curran has been removed as a goalie on the preseason roster, unless it is a glitch of course. This would indicate Burns and Erliden will be our opening day duo barring another trade.
It’s unfortunate Erie can’t figure out this draft/develop thing with goalies. Yes, a hard position to figure out but it just seems they are as bad as it gets. They have spent high picks, low picks, mid picks - doesn’t matter, they can’t hit. Scouting a huge part but ultimately not having a true goalie coach, and specifically one who is good, is the real detriment. Lalonde/Gibbons/Lawr weren’t consider reaches but none developed. They have to figure something out … or if not, I guess keep drafting import goalies ?

Reactions: Mata and Moroz

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
It’s unfortunate Erie can’t figure out this draft/develop thing with goalies. Yes, a hard position to figure out but it just seems they are as bad as it gets. They have spent high picks, low picks, mid picks - doesn’t matter, they can’t hit. Scouting a huge part but ultimately not having a true goalie coach, and specifically one who is good, is the real detriment. Lalonde/Gibbons/Lawr weren’t consider reaches but none developed. They have to figure something out … or if not, I guess keep drafting import goalies ?

Drafting import goalies seems to work pretty well for them, why not just make that your strategy and stop using high picks on goalies. Use them on swings for high end skater talent.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Throwing Erliden to the wolves tonight in London ??

Team effort, but he will be our number 1. He's going to have to win games for the team every now and then if we want a run.

It's only preseason and this was his first taste of OHL action without Schaefer, Terrance, and Misiak. He did well and it was good he finally got his feet wet.

Reactions: 7D442 and jimbarrou

ZinErie

Nov 12, 2013
Is Schaefer hurt? Lineup for today's game only has 5 d. I assume D'amrosio(sp?) Has to sit out because of yesterday's instigating penalty.

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
Throwing Erliden to the wolves tonight in London ??
lol no wolves that’s for sure it was a tame group on our end

Is Schaefer hurt? Lineup for today's game only has 5 d. I assume D'amrosio(sp?) Has to sit out because of yesterday's instigating penalty.
The Knights would love to see Mr damrosio

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Is there a reporter that covers Erie or something that provides actual updates on the team? I'm baffled by the utter uselessness of their social media other than selling tickets and linking to boxscores lol

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Is there a reporter that covers Erie or something that provides actual updates on the team? I'm baffled by the utter uselessness of their social media other than selling tickets and linking to boxscores lol
the era of local papers with dedicated sports reporters covering the minor/junior league teams is not a thing (in the USA) anymore. thank corporate america for killing small town media.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019

You're looking at one of the best and most complete places that covers the team, the message boards. There are some Facebook groups for Erie fans, but they generally aren't as informed as these boards are IMO and mostly just a back and forth bickering instead of depth of conversation.

There are also a couple X accounts that will post moves and, on occasion, give their personal thoughts.

Dhockey16

Jun 23, 2011
Erie, Pennsylvania
You're looking at one of the best and most complete places that covers the team, the message boards. There are some Facebook groups for Erie fans, but they generally aren't as informed as these boards are IMO and mostly just a back and forth bickering instead of depth of conversation.

There are also a couple X accounts that will post moves and, on occasion, give their personal thoughts.
Yep. This is where I come for Otters info. Vic Fernandes was really good and I didn't realize it until he was gone. He'd get full training camp rosters, updates on imports, potential signings from NCAA commits, injuries and all transactions. Hope he's doing well. HFBoards it is I suppose. Post more insiders!

Reactions: ZinErie

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009

That's unfortunate.

Followed quite a few CHL teams over the years and a lot of them are really good at updating every step along the training camp process.

I just want to know what's going on with Jack Clarke but I can't complain too much I guess, wasn't expecting him to play any preseason games and he's played every one so far lol

Erie still better than Arizona Coyotes/Tucson Roadrunners. Trying to follow that while Liam Kirk was in camp was literally impossible. No wonder nobody showed up to their games

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
That's unfortunate.

Followed quite a few CHL teams over the years and a lot of them are really good at updating every step along the training camp process.

I just want to know what's going on with Jack Clarke but I can't complain too much I guess, wasn't expecting him to play any preseason games and he's played every one so far lol

Erie still better than Arizona Coyotes/Tucson Roadrunners. Trying to follow that while Liam Kirk was in camp was literally impossible. No wonder nobody showed up to their games

Most of us just follow the team. Some are STH, some have contacts such as billet families. We piece together what we can, but we haven't had an official sportscaster covering Erie in quite some time and we don't typically have any "in the know" information unless someone happens to stumble upon it.

This is pretty much the most "consistent" source of information on the team outside of official press releases.

You Otter Be There

Oct 8, 2020
Pottstown, PA
Reactions: Mata

Dhockey16

Jun 23, 2011
Erie, Pennsylvania
Didn't realize Jackson Curran is a lefty. I'm pretty confident he and Burns are the only two lefty goaltenders Erie has had in franchise history.

Edit: Curran was described on the website blurb as a southpaw. I looked up a picture and he's not - Burns still the only right handed catching goalie Erie has ever had

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad