Erie Otters 2023-24 Offseason Thread (Part 2)

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
If Misiak does return, he could play LW in the top 6 if they felt Royston was ready for top 6 minutes. Edwards could move back to his natural RW spot. Trade Alfano. I don’t think we can afford to trade Sova in any scenario. Crazy idea is I wonder how much we could get for Fimis. Might be easier to trade him/get more.
Speaking of RW, looking at Rockford, they'll have Nazar and Ryder Rolston but I don't think anyone else naturally plays RW on that roster.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
If Misiak does return, he could play LW in the top 6 if they felt Royston was ready for top 6 minutes. Edwards could move back to his natural RW spot. Trade Alfano. I don’t think we can afford to trade Sova in any scenario. Crazy idea is I wonder how much we could get for Fimis. Might be easier to trade him/get more.

Fimis finished the year as the best all around player on the team, and it was not particularly close imo. I think Fimis slightly edges Wakely as the best OA centre in the league.
In six playoff games, Alfano and Edwards combined for 11 goals on Fimis’ wings. I like Misiak too, but why trade Fimis and Molnar to make a spot for a player that would occupy both import and OA spots?

Reactions: Mata

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Fimis finished the year as the best all around player on the team, and it was not particularly close imo. I think Fimis slightly edges Wakely as the best OA centre in the league.
In six playoff games, Alfano and Edwards combined for 11 goals on Fimis’ wings. I like Misiak too, but why trade Fimis and Molnar to make a spot for a player that would occupy both import and OA spots?
good points. Problem with Misiak is he takes up 2 valuable spots (import AND overage). Not really worth other the headache of keeping him and figuring out what OA plus import you move.

And I agree that Fimis has to stay. He has the ability to put up 80-90 points this year, along with being a C, and you just aren’t replacing that easily through a trade. Yes he would have more value than Misiak, Alfano, and some others but because he’s an OA, his value is less than what he’s worth to the current roster.

Guy In Burlington

Mar 17, 2022
Because ECHL isn’t much better of a league, just has older players. Depending on the things they want him to work on and potentially his/his agent’s perspective, OHL might make more sense. Maybe they want to see how he does sticking to a routine. He’s played on 3 teams, in 3 different cities / 2 different countries, the past 3 years. Maybe they feel yet another change would be somewhat limiting. Idk I’m not a coach or developer but I’m sure they would have their reasons.

And yes it doesn’t seem likely but Scott Powers is a pretty legit source so there has to be some smoke there. Dylan Strome eventually got sent back as a 4th year when nobody really expected it (much different situation but a much higher pick). Warren Foegele (unsigned) got sent back as OA. Sometimes things like this still happen. Probably not ideal but also Misiak wasn’t even a top 3 forward for Erie last year despite the expectations and draft status. Personally, I don’t think he’s AHL ready unless you are think bottom line minutes and some big development happens over the next few months (all possible). So then it becomes ECHL or comfort, familiarity in the O.
Strome was just 19 and the O was his only other option. But maybe that’s what you meant by different situation.

I’m sure Misiak to the OHL could definitely happen, I would just be surprised is all. The ECHL, regardless of what you may think of the league, is still pro hockey with stronger players and an environment where Chicago controls his day to day. Their coaches, their players, systems, etc.

You just don’t see signed OAs get sent back to junior that often. Obviously him coming back gives Erie options and would not be a bad thing, but I’m not holding my breath.

SouthernOtter

Jan 3, 2015
good points. Problem with Misiak is he takes up 2 valuable spots (import AND overage). Not really worth other the headache of keeping him and figuring out what OA plus import you move.

And I agree that Fimis has to stay. He has the ability to put up 80-90 points this year, along with being a C, and you just aren’t replacing that easily through a trade. Yes he would have more value than Misiak, Alfano, and some others but because he’s an OA, his value is less than what he’s worth to the current roster.
For the record, they should keep Fimis. I think he’s going to have a monster year. The curiosity I have is would there be a team out there that blows us away and helps the 2 year window idea. Misiak isn’t thaaat far away from his level and I think his trade market will be significantly smaller. How significant is the question. Regardless, if Misiak returns it’s good news for Erie to acquire more assets for the window.

Reactions: NOA

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Strome was just 19 and the O was his only other option. But maybe that’s what you meant by different situation.

I’m sure Misiak to the OHL could definitely happen, I would just be surprised is all. The ECHL, regardless of what you may think of the league, is still pro hockey with stronger players and an environment where Chicago controls his day to day. Their coaches, their players, systems, etc.

You just don’t see signed OAs get sent back to junior that often. Obviously him coming back gives Erie options and would not be a bad thing, but I’m not holding my breath.
Yes.. it’s exactly what I meant RE Strome. I was just pointing out situations where people didn’t expect it or said it “doesn’t make sense” to send him back. Stuff happens and ultimately nobody here predicted it until Scott Powers said it, so now we are talking about the what if situation which I think is fair. The only reason he wouldn’t be back is because he’s a “signed” player (which yes I understand is a big factor) but if not for that then we are probably talking about a real shot he’s back even before Powers info. He is far from developed and probably could use another year in OHL. I was disappointed with him last year considering his “1st overall” pick status.

Reactions: Guy In Burlington

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
He’s go back to Europe before going back to Erie.
Yes that could make sense too but @ZinErie shared the info directly from source with more insight than all of us combined and he said the plan was to send him to Erie. Things change but they do own his rights and have him signed so I imagine they can push him in the direction they want him to go…

What’s more likely is he’s back in the OHL, traded before playing in Erie

SouthernOtter

Jan 3, 2015
Yes that could make sense too but @ZinErie shared the info directly from source with more insight than all of us combined and he said the plan was to send him to Erie. Things change but they do own his rights and have him signed so I imagine they can push him in the direction they want him to go…

What’s more likely is he’s back in the OHL, traded before playing in Erie
What’s a team that would be able to trade for him? Maybe Oshawa or Brampton? Maybe get a guy like Bedkowski in return. The import AND overage makes it a hard thing to figure out. Sarnia could be an option of their picks don’t come over but sounds like they would.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
What’s a team that would be able to trade for him? Maybe Oshawa or Brampton? Maybe get a guy like Bedkowski in return. The import AND overage makes it a hard thing to figure out. Sarnia could be an option of their picks don’t come over but sounds like they would.
They probably won’t get much of anything in return because of the import + OA status. It will be an underwhelming deal. They honestly could just have to release him too.

SouthernOtter

Jan 3, 2015
Releasing him would really suck. We already have limited assets so this chance to get some could be the difference. Question for you. Do you think Molnar comes back as an overager? Erliden being an 05 has to be an option for 2 years. We need him. Edwards will be a good OA guy. Then we probably should keep one of the defensemen in 25/26. If we don’t see him coming back, would trading Alfano and Molnar really be a bad option? Both could get something in return.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
They probably won’t get much of anything in return because of the import + OA status. It will be an underwhelming deal. They honestly could just have to release him too.
Wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility, but they could shop Molnar and an OA player, perhaps say Alfano and look to double down on returns to make it happen.

I agree he underperformed based on his draft position and such, but it would be possible to keep him, trade off Molnar and an OA to get picks AND perhaps fill out middle forwards for a return.

Not exactly ideal, but just trying to think outside the box IF what was stated earlier is true and Stan is looking for a way to keep him in Erie.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Releasing him would really suck. We already have limited assets so this chance to get some could be the difference. Question for you. Do you think Molnar comes back as an overager? Erliden being an 05 has to be an option for 2 years. We need him. Edwards will be a good OA guy. Then we probably should keep one of the defensemen in 25/26. If we don’t see him coming back, would trading Alfano and Molnar really be a bad option? Both could get something in return.

Yeah, trading Alfano really would be a bad idea imo. If I recall correctly, Butler accepted a 2.5 year contract only. The otters should be expected to ice the best team possible this season.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

There is a chance Barrie won’t have two imports. They could use a RW and Misiak would improve their OAs. Barrie will have too many forwards and need to make tough decisions on a few middling middle six, so there’s a potential fit.

Niagara may not have two imports, and their top OA and centre Bryant could miss significant time to start. They also have too many forwards.

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
Would you say this is the go for it year for Erie?

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Would you say this is the go for it year for Erie?
We talked about this a bit earlier in the summer. Yes and no. Erie will lose a lot of key pieces after this year which would lend itself to it being a go for it year. However, they still don’t have a lot of assets (picks and young prospects) to properly fill out their top needs. Goalie is still a huge question mark though they hope the import draft addresses it, and someone else emerges as a reliable backup. Depth a major issue in the forward group and likely needs addressed through a trade or 2. High end talent might be a spot they need to upgrade but won’t know until the fall.

They have a solid foundation to be a team capable of making a run and should at least be slotted in the 4-5 seed. In a world where they are able to add a top 6 forward, a top 9 forward, and potentially have a few assets to add a minor piece elsewhere if needed- they could make a real run. Problem is they don’t really have the assets imo put everything into this team. Wait and see.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
We talked about this a bit earlier in the summer. Yes and no. Erie will lose a lot of key pieces after this year which would lend itself to it being a go for it year. However, they still don’t have a lot of assets (picks and young prospects) to properly fill out their top needs. Goalie is still a huge question mark though they hope the import draft addresses it, and someone else emerges as a reliable backup. Depth a major issue in the forward group and likely needs addressed through a trade or 2. High end talent might be a spot they need to upgrade but won’t know until the fall.

They have a solid foundation to be a team capable of making a run and should at least be slotted in the 4-5 seed. In a world where they are able to add a top 6 forward, a top 9 forward, and potentially have a few assets to add a minor piece elsewhere if needed- they could make a real run. Problem is they don’t really have the assets imo put everything into this team. Wait and see.
Interesting to hear u say depth is an issue. I actually look at Erie & think they'll fight to have some of the best F depth in the conference (I view it a bit weaker this yr to be fair.)

Spence/Molnar/Edwards/Alfano/Fimis/Terrance should be a pretty damn good top 6. Challenger/McDonald should make for 2/3 of a decent 3rd line & I'm sure u have another 1or2 Fs u guys like/think could be solid. But I guess that's TBD to prove your point.

Right now I actually think u guys have arguably a top 2 roster in the conference. A lot depends on the euro G which is TBD but he seems encouraging. Does puzzle me why more emphasis wasn't put into having more assets for this year, but pretty good foundation to begin camp I'd say.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Interesting to hear u say depth is an issue. I actually look at Erie & think they'll fight to have some of the best F depth in the conference (I view it a bit weaker this yr to be fair.)

Spence/Molnar/Edwards/Alfano/Fimis/Terrance should be a pretty damn good top 6. Challenger/McDonald should make for 2/3 of a decent 3rd line & I'm sure u have another 1or2 Fs u guys like/think could be solid. But I guess that's TBD to prove your point.

Right now I actually think u guys have arguably a top 2 roster in the conference. A lot depends on the euro G which is TBD but he seems encouraging. Does puzzle me why more emphasis wasn't put into having more assets for this year, but pretty good foundation to begin camp I'd say.
They can’t keep BOTH Alfano + McDonald (when they already have Fimis/Sova as OAs)… their “3rd line” let alone “4th line” is mediocre at best right now unless you are relying on a 16 year old mid first round pick to be an impact player which is a bit unfair

Their top 6 is good, I don’t disagree (which is why I said on the surface it is a “go for it” roster) but beyond that, it’s Messier, Hammond, Challenger, and a complete list of unknowns (and even those 3 are unknowns but I guess we at least know their names). Their 3rd line is not close to there yet, especially in the context of going for it. Yes, it could be better than expected if Challenger makes a quick transition and someone else makes a big leap in their development but that’s asking a lot imo. While their top 6 looks promising, it will still be interesting to see if Edwards continues to develop and Spence/Terrance take a noticeable step forward in order to give Erie the higher end forward talent that is usually required to make a legit run

Still some question marks. They are in a good spot going into camp but when talking going for it, being buyers, the issue is them being able to properly fill out the holes they have with the assets they have

Last edited:
Reactions: StingUpdates

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
They can’t keep BOTH Alfano + McDonald (when they already have Fimis/Sova as OAs)… their “3rd line” let alone “4th line” is mediocre at best right now unless you are relying on a 16 year old mid first round pick to be an impact player which is a bit unfair

Their top 6 is good, I don’t disagree (which is why I said on the surface it is a “go for it” roster) but beyond that, it’s Messier, Hammond, Challenger, and a complete list of unknowns (and even those 3 are unknowns but I guess we at least know their names). Their 3rd line is not close to there yet, especially in the context of going for it. Yes, it could be better than expected if Challenger makes a quick transition and someone else makes a big leap in their development but that’s asking a lot imo. While their top 6 looks promising, it will still be interesting to see if Edwards continues to develop and Spence/Terrance take a noticeable step forward in order to give Erie the higher end forward talent that is usually required to make a legit run

Still some question marks. They are in a good spot going into camp but when talking going for it, being buyers, the issue is them being able to properly fill out the holes they have with the assets they have
That’s the thing I’m looking at. I think Erie has the potential to be a formidable challenger in the West this year with a solid top half of the roster but everybody is going to be adding throughout the year and at the deadline. If Erie does the same it’s going to put them in the same spot they were in before last year. Which is a really harsh and volatile AND long junior cycle. Or, they could sell off a bit, set themselves up for the future and break that cycle.

Reactions: NOA

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
That’s the thing I’m looking at. I think Erie has the potential to be a formidable challenger in the West this year with a solid top half of the roster but everybody is going to be adding throughout the year and at the deadline. If Erie does the same it’s going to put them in the same spot they were in before last year. Which is a really harsh and volatile AND long junior cycle. Or, they could sell off a bit, set themselves up for the future and break that cycle.

I don’t think Erie will be in for a particularly long rebuild if willing to move Spence next season.
The top of the roster is in place. They just need to add a #6 winger and a 3rd line centre that don’t need big point producers. The D might be ‘good enough’.

Edwards-Fimis-Alfano
Spence-Terrance- ?
Molnar- ? - Royston
Messier-Challenger-Hammond
With some exceptions (Petes ‘23) forward groups don’t get much better than that.

Last edited:

EOtterstracker

Oct 13, 2023
Royston really intrigues me here. Especially since a lot of it depends on his development. If he’s ready for second line minutes, then all that would have to be addressed would be 3C (assuming Misiak is instead traded for assets somewhere), but if you put him down on the third or even fourth line (I don’t see him being down there), then you have to address 2RW on top of 3C. Really interesting there. Would hate to break up the FEAR line, but it would have to be done. I couldn’t see where Royston would be first line. Also, Phillips is the 6’6 201 pound u18 draft prospect. Hasn’t committed yet but I think he will.

If in top 6:

Spence-Terrance-Alfano

Edwards-Fimis-Royston

Molnár-Trade-Challenger

Messier-Phillips-Hammond

Sova/Schaefer-Henry

Sova/Schaefer-Sauder

Daviault-Ambrosio

Erliden

Burns/Gibbons (Training Camp Depending)

If not in top 6:

Spence-Terrance-Alfano

Edwards-Fimis-Trade

Molnár-Trade-Royston

Messier-Phillips-Challenger

Sova-Henry

Schaefer-Sauder

Daviault-Ambrosio

Erliden

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Royston really intrigues me here. Especially since a lot of it depends on his development. If he’s ready for second line minutes, then all that would have to be addressed would be 3C (assuming Misiak is instead traded for assets somewhere), but if you put him down on the third or even fourth line (I don’t see him being down there), then you have to address 2RW on top of 3C. Really interesting there. Would hate to break up the FEAR line, but it would have to be done. I couldn’t see where Royston would be first line. Also, Phillips is the 6’6 201 pound u18 draft prospect. Hasn’t committed yet but I think he will.

If in top 6:

Spence-Terrance-Alfano

Edwards-Fimis-Royston

Molnár-Trade-Challenger

Messier-Phillips-Hammond

Sova/Schaefer-Henry

Sova/Schaefer-Sauder

Daviault-Ambrosio

Erliden

If not in top 6:

Spence-Terrance-Alfano

Edwards-Fimis-Trade

Molnár-Trade-Royston

Messier-Phillips-Challenger

Sova-Henry

Schaefer-Sauder

Daviault-Ambrosio

Erliden

You are probably a lot more familiar with the Otters roster; but Challenger playing RW for Butler does not track, at all. Maybe Edwards and/or Molnar are moved to RW, maybe Challenger is traded at the deadline.

EOtterstracker

Oct 13, 2023
You are probably a lot more familiar with the Otters roster; but Challenger playing RW for Butler does not track, at all. Maybe Edwards and/or Molnar are moved to RW, maybe Challenger is traded at the deadline.
Yeah, you’re right. I was also going off of what Elite Prospects has him listed as. Says he’s a LW, but I was thinking he would probably not object to going to RW. In the if Royston is top 6 ready lines, they could move him to center and trade for a RW instead. A bit harder if he’s not top 6. We’ll see where Stan wants him though.

Ad

Upcoming events

• France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,632.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Israel vs Italy
    Israel vs Italy
    Wagers: 7
    Staked: $30,494.00