Friedman: Enstrom has agreed to waive NMC for expanson draft

Dabucs02

Jul 12, 2013
That's what the name implies. I'm not sure that is correct. Trying to find definitive answer. CapFriendly list both for many players. Why?

I believe if you have a NMC it protects you from being traded as well as from being stuffed in the minors (Remember the Wade Redden saga)

NTC just protects against trades

Also if you have a full NTC you were not automatically protected

Phaneuf has a NMC and a modified NTC

Last edited:

Luc Labelle

Lucius 895 Injuries
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2005
Winnipeg
That's what the name implies. I'm not sure that is correct. Trying to find definitive answer. CapFriendly list both for many players. Why?

Both are probably listed because the NMC gives additional protection from being placed on waivers or sent down to the minors. A player might be willing to have a modified NTC but wants the additional protection of the NMC in the case of minors / waivers.

Guffman beat me to the punch and Dabucs02 got me on the photo finish

Last edited:

greengoblin

Jan 20, 2017
You couldn't pay me if I was a GM to take Enstrom. Hell I wouldn't even take him if the Jets included a 1st.

Last edited:

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

CapFriendly takes a shortcut I wish they wouldn't because it creates confusion like you're experiencing. For CF:

"NTC" = full NTC
"Modified-NTC" = partial (modified) NTC
"NMC" = full NMC (which includes full protection against Trades)
"NMC, Modified-NTC" = partial (modified) NMC and partial (modified) NTC

So for CF, "NMC" has different meanings depending on whether it's on its own or attached with a "Modified-NTC". Would prefer they add Modified-NMC to their lexicon.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Enstroms agent made a public statement on Enstroms behalf at 1230 today.

- Enstro m loves W.P.G and thinks the Jets have a bright future that he wants to be a part of.
- He waived his N.M.C as a favour to the Jets ....... not because he wants to be a part of Vegas.

- Does not make sense for Vegas to select Enstrom !

1) Enstrom has a full N.M.C and Vegas can not trade him for picks or youth.
2) Enstrom is at the end of a large 5 year contract and is currently playing at a level well below his 5.75 million salary.
3) Not a coincidence that Enstroms agent made a public statement that Enstrom desire is to remain in Winnipeg. Bad optics and P.R. for them to pick Enstrom now. Vegas wants Wed. To be a coming out party and welcome to the league. They do not want the Press interviewing a 6 mill player that has a N.M.C. and can not be traded for pics that is stuck in Vegas for 1 year.

Plus ..... I believe Dano to be the better asset.
-Cheaper/younger
- Under team control for at least 4 more years
- Has much better trade value.

Jetsetter

Mar 2, 2015
Winnerpeg
I feel bad Enstrom has wasted his entire career in Atl/Winn. I hope he gets a chance with another team.

Yeah Pen x you're one of the reasons why I hope our team remembers the very dirty hit your idiot goon did by hitting Enstrom from behind and took him out for the rest of the season. What comes around goes around.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I would not be surprised if Enstrom said he would waive, on the condition he get re-signed.

I expect a 2year deal to be announced on July 1.

That's a win-win.

antiqueslivers

Apr 16, 2015
enstrom making this move earns an extension. I was never a big fan but he won my heart with this move!

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013

It probably lists both if the NTC portion of the NMC is modified so that the player either lists X number of teams he'll accept a trade to or Y number of teams he can't be traded to. I personally find that notation confusing. To me, it would be simpler to call it a M-NMC.

Cap Friendly is not a reliable source for CBA info. They've been wrong about that fairly often. It's fairly reliable for guesstimates about who has an NTC/NMC (but they've been wrong about that too) and especially publicly available information like salary, term, and cap hit.

Crazed Fan

Jul 9, 2011
Winnipeg
Enstrom did the Jets a huge favor. I hope he stays as 4-6D. Love that he believes in his team.
I don't want Lowry or Armia to go. Armia fills the void Frolik left. Lowry is a hitting machine and perfect for 3rd or 4th C.
I will say this about Dano, other teams hate him. Like a lot. Gets under their skin. I like what he brought so I would hate to see him go, but the Jets have the spawn of Claude Lemieux in their system so...

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
If Winnipeg already had a deal who Vegas was going to pick then why would Enstrom need to waive in the first place?

To give the Jets better leverage.

If Myers, Lowry or Perrault were exposed the cost to get Vegas to take Dano would be something significant.

Now that it's a choice between Dano and Enstrom I don't think a deal needs to be made. Dano is the more enticing peice (vs Toby's age, contract status, salary etc...)

I think when Vegas looks at teams that they will find a deeper pool of younger D (then Enstrom) to pick from. Dano has a good chance to be a useful middle 6 forward in the NHL. Given their over all choices and what the Jets are exposing I don't see how they don't take Dano.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
To give the Jets better leverage.

If Myers, Lowry or Perrault were exposed the cost to get Vegas to take Dano would be something significant.

Now that it's a choice between Dano and Enstrom I don't think a deal needs to be made. Dano is the more enticing peice (vs Toby's age, contract status, salary etc...)

I think when Vegas looks at teams that they will find a deeper pool of younger D (then Enstrom) to pick from. Dano has a good chance to be a useful middle 6 forward in the NHL. Given their over all choices and what the Jets are exposing I don't see how they don't take Dano.

I think he was making that same point. only made it in the form of a question.

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
Nice move Toby..... Now Vegas gets Dano (not bad) but we won't have to throw them a pick to take Dano over Lowry who the Jets love ....The exposed list from the Jets is pretty ugly :)

It would hurt the Jets more if Vegas took Toby over Dano.... I hope Vegas isn't in the mood to screw us over lol

Last edited:

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I think he was making that same point. only made it in the form of a question.

Just reread Mouser's post.
Seems like he's questioning the need for Toby to waive at all.
I was saying that the "cost" to make a deal to protect an exposed Toby would be way less then the other players discussed.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Just reread Mouser's post.
Seems like he's questioning the need for Toby to waive at all.
I was saying that the "cost" to make a deal to protect an exposed Toby would be way less then the other players discussed.

And I was questioning the posted premise that a deal was already in place prior to Enstrom agreeing to waive.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
And I was questioning the posted premise that a deal was already in place prior to Enstrom agreeing to waive.

Ok I see.
There's solid reasoning to believe that Dano is the best choice for Vegas already. But I can also see when the Jets approached Enstrom that ensuring he wasn't going to be picked could have been part of the conversation. We'll know once Vegas reveals all of the side deals they did.

Jets seem like perfect trade partners with Vegas post draft so hopefully any "deal" we did for Enstrom was rolled into a bigger deal.

Flyerfan52

May 3, 2012
Winnipeg
Everyone seems sure that it'll be Dano taken by Vegas. I hope so.

I think LV might surprise by taking Chiarot who is a late bloomer that I see getting better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad