Friedman: Enstrom has agreed to waive NMC for expanson draft

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
LV should pick Enstrom and then trade him before he becomes a free agent. I think a few playoff bound teams would have interest at or before next year's deadline.

EDIT:

Great minds think alike.

Enstrom waived his no movement clause for the expansion draft. It is active again if he is selected by Vegas.

If Vegas select Enstrom ....... they have the honor of paying him 5.75 mill for a one and done season and then he is a U.F.A.

Vegas will select Dano....who was a first rounder in 2013 and has some upside to his game. He is also cheap and under team control for the next 4 years.

GaryinPrague

Dec 12, 2011
Enstrom won't be picked
Winnipeg already has a deal in place for Vegas to take Dano, and Petan or a pick, and leave Enstrom alone

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Wouldn't be surprise if LV pick them - who else is available from win?

Scheifele
Wheeler
Little
Perreault
Lowry
Armia
Copp

Trouba
Buff
Myers

Hellebuyck

Vegas can pretty much choose from a pool which includes Matthias, Dano, Enstrom and scraps. The Dano signing makes sense now, as we did not have two additional forwards to expose before.

Anyway, big up Toby for saving our shutdown guys. I hope he stays here regardless.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I really like Enstrom as a player and he's still quite valuable. It's a shame the injuries have affected him so much.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
sorry for the laziness but who were Jets potentially going to lose if Enstrom didn't do this?

This means we will go 7/3/1. Props to Enstrom.

I think we end up protecting
Hellebuyck
Trouba/Myers/Buff
Scheifele/Wheeler/Little/Perreault/Lowry/Armia/Copp

This leaves Marko Dano, Shawn Matthias, Toby Enstrom, Mark Stuart and Michael Hutchinson (players under contract) exposed.

Who Vegas picks then ? Well the way i see it, Marko Dano is Vegas-bound. In my mind we won't see Vegas picking all these older players with 1 years left in their contracts like Enstrom, unless they have their team assembled and then pick a few to flip them somewhere else. But Enstrom has a NMC anyway, so good luck with that.

Marko Dano to me is a very expansion-like player. Young, talented and just waiting for an opportunity. We also have enough wingers so i think Dano is the guy out.

It's going to be Dano's 4th team in the NHL before even turning 23. Crazy. :laugh:

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
How come it wasn't reported he was asked to waive it on Monday?

It was speculated but neither Enstrom nor the Jets chose to make it public until his decision was made. If he had refused you would never have known he had been asked. The way it should be done.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Crazy to me that some of these guys are willing to risk it, when they don't have to and can control their own destiny. But they must have their reasons.

Enstrom to me is a guy Vegas should pick and trade

Yeah. Absolutely. Especially given what this likely means for the rest of Winnipeg's protection list gobbling up the rest of the Forwards that would've been attractive pieces instead. Grabbing a guy like Enstrom is basically like banking another prospect for the cupboards.

Though the idea of being a draft and flip to a playoff team/contender might be appealing in some respects to a guy like Enstrom. Later into his career, only so many shots left at a ring. Also an opportunity to audition a potential landing spot as a pending UFA. If that's what happens.

antiqueslivers

Apr 16, 2015
Enstrom won't be picked
Winnipeg already has a deal in place for Vegas to take Dano, and Petan or a pick, and leave Enstrom alone

that sounds waaaaay to rich of a deal for chevy to agree to. With enstrom waiving his NMC I doubt there is any kind of deal with Vegas at all.

Classy move by Enstrom though. Pure class!

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Jets will pay vegas not to take enström. Dano + something to vegas.

darkjet

Jan 11, 2013
Why would they draft Enstrom. 1 year and his NMC is still in effect if picked by Vegas. So not so simple to just flip for a draft pick.

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
Can't see why Vegas would pick Enstrom, so I would be surprised if Chevy has to pay anything at all.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Why would they draft Enstrom. 1 year and his NMC is still in effect if picked by Vegas. So not so simple to just flip for a draft pick.

Can't see why Vegas would pick Enstrom, so I would be surprised if Chevy has to pay anything at all.

It could simply be about Enstrom not wanting to leave Winnipeg. He may have agreed to waive on the condition that Chevy ensures that he won't be picked by Vegas. The Jets may have to pay something, but it will still be cheaper than the ludicrous "2nd + Armia as the ED pick" type of fee to keep Lowry, which would have been the case if Enstrom wouldn't have waived.

Dano is probably the most attractive option at this point. That does not mean that McPhee just blindly grabs him without exploiting the situation first.

Jetsetter

Mar 2, 2015
Winnerpeg
As a huge jet fan I thank Toby for waving. It helps us out a great deal and he's a true team player! THANKS TOBY!!!!! Hope VGK doesn't take you.

Tasteless Beaver

Here for the hot takes
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
Bye Dano!

I hope Toby stays too, he's probably been our best defender overall since the team came back, and he's been a favorite of mine. He's had a rough patch this year - he was injured for a stretch, and his wife is fighting cancer. I hope for his sake that more instability isn't added by Vegas picking him. I'm glad he wasn't bought out, because it gives him the chance to re-sign for a year or two in Winnipeg, either this year, or next year as a UFA (he might be too sour to do this if he was bought out).

So our scraps are: Dano, Matthias, Stuart, Enstrom, Hutchinson

Dano is already the most appealing player from that stack, I don't see any reason to further entice Vegas to take him by throwing in Petan. Even though Petan probably doesn't have a place on this team (grrrr), he's got trade value on his own. Maybe toss a mid-round pick to convince them on Dano, but use Petan to get a 3rd pairing LHD out of them.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Enstrom to me is a guy Vegas should pick and trade

I was thinking the same thing. He could be valuable to trade at the trade deadline and Vegas can just retain most of the salary if needed. I'm sure whatever they can get in return for Enstrom at the trade deadline would be more valuable to Vegas than whoever else they would pick from Winnipeg.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad