Prospect Info: Emil Heineman

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
The best thing about the Toffoli and Lehkonen trades, and all the other vet trades, is it helped us tank so we could get Slaf, Reinbacher, and Demidov.
That was part of it but hitting on those early 1st round picks was also super important.
I'm not complaining. It didn't take me long into this new management cycle to realize the franchise isn't broken anymore.
That is a great thing IMO.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
That was part of it but hitting on those early 1st round picks was also super important.
I'm not complaining. It didn't take me long into this new management cycle to realize the franchise isn't broken anymore.
That is a great thing IMO.
Yes! Hitting on those early draft picks is the most important job of the scouting department. And so far they're looking good in that most important aspect - plus they got Hutson, Fowler, Hage, Beck, Engstrom, Bogdan, etc... with the later picks.

I'm really hoping Savard, Armia, and Dvo can get us 2nd round picks at this trade deadline. Would love to see what Hughes can do with them, including packaging one with the Florida 1st.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Hopefully he impress enough in pre season to start the season on the team, he could be a decent bottom 6 player for us
I like his work ethic, skating, and shot.

I have my doubts about his ability to stay healthy.

Also, like Anderson, he needs to improve his overall game.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Heineman has the size, shot and strength to make it.
I still wonder if his brain can adjust to the NHL speed.
In 59 AHL games he has scored 22 goals, that's almost a 30 goal average over an entire season. He has the skill.
He also can hammer people along the boards. He has a prime opportunity to make the team in September with RHP out, Pearson, Ylonen, White all gone.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Yes! Hitting on those early draft picks is the most important job of the scouting department. And so far they're looking good in that most important aspect - plus they got Hutson, Fowler, Hage, Beck, Engstrom, Bogdan, etc... with the later picks.

I'm really hoping Savard, Armia, and Dvo can get us 2nd round picks at this trade deadline. Would love to see what Hughes can do with them, including packaging one with the Florida 1st.
I really only want 1sts because the picks are going to be late round picks but if the best they can do is a 2nd take it. Habs own 2nd and Pittsburgh's could be early 2nd round picks. Hopefully they can add one of them to say Savard to get a late 1st or use one to move up with one of the 1sts they already have.

Reactions: MTL Dirty Birdy

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I really only want 1sts because the picks are going to be late round picks but if the best they can do is a 2nd take it. Habs own 2nd and Pittsburgh's could be early 2nd round picks. Hopefully they can add one of them to say Savard to get a late 1st or use one to move up with one of the 1sts they already have.
It’s this year or never for him. I lost confidence in him but he can win a spot with a big camp

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Does he have a future in any capacity with the Habs?
He has only played about 60 AHL games and has scored 22 goals.
Strengths that I noticed watching him in Laval-
Good size
Very strong on his skates
Does not shy away from physical play
Excellent shot
Good skill

What may hinder him-
Not sure his hockey IQ is good enough
Injury prone

Where he could land a spot-
4th line with his size and grit with the ability to move up if needed.

Reactions: Habs13

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Does he have a future in any capacity with the Habs?
He has only played about 60 AHL games and has scored 22 goals.
Strengths that I noticed watching him in Laval-
Good size
Very strong on his skates
Does not shy away from physical play
Excellent shot
Good skill

What may hinder him-
Not sure his hockey IQ is good enough
Injury prone

Where he could land a spot-
4th line with his size and grit with the ability to move up if needed.

He has pathways to 3rd and 4th line roles with the Habs. His size and shooting ability can translate there.

Reactions: Andy and Tyson

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Heinemann should make good player. I remember in camp 2 years ago he was among our best players. I know he's had concussion issues. Sometimes curtails careers. Hoping he can make the jump. There's good skill there
I really don't know what happened to the player we saw come over at the tail end of the season a couple of years ago.
Heinemann became stilted and was never effective at finding the areas he was scoring from back then.
I don't know if we asked him to be the defensive consciousness on his line but he looked lost on many nights.
The only saving grace was his skating ability it did help him show some value at least.

Reactions: Tyson

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I really don't know what happened to the player we saw come over at the tail end of the season a couple of years ago.
Heinemann became stilted and was never effective at finding the areas he was scoring from back then.
I don't now if we asked him to be the defensive consciousness on his line but he looked lost on many nights.
The only saving grace was his skating ability it did help him show some value at least.
Huge make or break camp for him coming up.
Also worth noting is that he has barely 60 AHL games of experience.

Reactions: Rapala

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Heineman has the size, shot and strength to make it.
I still wonder if his brain can adjust to the NHL speed.
In 59 AHL games he has scored 22 goals, that's almost a 30 goal average over an entire season. He has the skill.
He also can hammer people along the boards. He has a prime opportunity to make the team in September with RHP out, Pearson, Ylonen, White all gone.
He's far more engaging than say Ylonen ever became so that is where he would start.

Reactions: MasterD and Tyson

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
He's strong, is a puck hound, and has a great shot. He just can't seem to stay healthy.

I think he can be a good 4th liner, but he can't seem to get a flow in his development with all the injuries.

Reactions: Tyson

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
One thing I noticed last season was that when he finished his checks they were punishing hits. The kid is very strong.
I have him at least one grade higher than RHP for a number of reasons one of which is he is more suited to the role he will fit in.
I seriously have no use for RHP on a fourth line and I don't think he's good enough to play on our third.
I remember talking about how he got stopped dead in his tracks twice on the same shift vying for ice on that fourth line.
Honestly I'll be very surprised if RHP ever plays another game for the Habs.
The injuries are racking up very quickly on top of each other he's definitely no Gallagher at that same age.
I don't think he can play that style and survive.

Reactions: Tyson and Andy

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I have him at least one grade higher than RHP for a number of reasons one of which is he is more suited to the role he will fit in.
I seriously have no use for RHP on a fourth line and I don't think he's good enough to play on our third.
I remember talking about how he got stopped dead in his tracks twice on the same shift vying for ice on that fourth line.
Honestly I'll be very surprised if RHP ever plays another game for the Habs.
The injuries are racking up very quickly on top of each other he's definitely no Gallagher at that same age.
I don't think he can play that style and survive.
RHP is 💯 % not a piece for building a contender.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I don't know if we asked him to be the defensive consciousness on his line but he looked lost on many nights.
Didn't he have concussion?

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Didn't he have concussion?
Yeah he's struggled with concussion more than once.
Keep in mind coming out of Europe he's only averaged 40 some odd games a season for years now.
His high was actually 23/24 where he played 52 including four with us.
One of the biggest walls players face coming over as well as coming out of the NCAA is that 82 game grind.
We often speak of the NA ice but realistically the schedule ends up having the greatest impact.
More touted players will stumble on this than anything else IMO.

Last edited:

PavelBrendl

Jul 9, 2013
He's strong, is a puck hound, and has a great shot. He just can't seem to stay healthy.

I think he can be a good 4th liner, but he can't seem to get a flow in his development with all the injuries.
I've been really high on Heineman, but the injuries definitely are holding him back. Just haven't seen him find his groove consistently enough at 22 years of age because of it.
I do still see potential for a very high quality bottom 6 player that can play physical, forecheck and add a scoring threat. Definitely a tier above 4th liner for me, but with the substantial improvement in our forward depth after adding Demidov and Laine, even players like Newhook or Roy may see their place in the top 6 in danger over the next couple of seasons. Is there a place for Heineman beside Newhook/Roy and Beck? Will be very interesting to watch Laval this year and see what players like Xhekaj and Tuch have to say about that.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
I've been really high on Heineman, but the injuries definitely are holding him back. Just haven't seen him find his groove consistently enough at 22 years of age because of it.
I do still see potential for a very high quality bottom 6 player that can play physical, forecheck and add a scoring threat. Definitely a tier above 4th liner for me, but with the substantial improvement in our forward depth after adding Demidov and Laine, even players like Newhook or Roy may see their place in the top 6 in danger over the next couple of seasons. Is there a place for Heineman beside Newhook/Roy and Beck? Will be very interesting to watch Laval this year and see what players like Xhekaj and Tuch have to say about that.
What I like about Heineman is that even if his offense doesn't pan out, he's got other nhl tools that will allow him to be a successful 4th liner. Refreshing when compared to guys like Ylonen and RHP who aren't really effective in another capacity if they are not scoring.

I feel the 4th line on the habs has just been a bunch of misfits. Heineman has a good 4th line profile.

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
I think he has a shot at making it, but in his last NHL stint, he was too vanilla. To carve out a role, he needs to make an impact when he plays, even if it is in smaller minutes on the 4th line.

He has the size and some skills, it's up to him to take advantage of his chances. At this point in time, I wouldn't pencil him into any future lineups.

PavelBrendl

Jul 9, 2013
What I like about Heineman is that even if his offense doesn't pan out, he's got other nhl tools that will allow him to be a successful 4th liner. Refreshing when compared to guys like Ylonen and RHP who aren't really effective in another capacity if they are not scoring.

I feel the 4th line on the habs has just been a bunch of misfits. Heineman has a good 4th line profile.
Much agreed. Our bottom 6 has been an island of misfit toys for years. Nobody is going to remember any of these guys years down the road, but contenders and champions have bottom 6s full of role players that even if unspectacular, are memorable for what they bring. Heineman has those tools for sure.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Yeah he's struggled with concussion more than once.
Keep in mind coming out of Europe he's only averaged 40 some odd games a season for years now.
His high was actually 23/24 where he played 52 including four with us.
One of the biggest walls players face coming over as well as coming out of the NCAA players graduating is that grind.
We often speak of the NA ice but realistically the schedule ends up having the greatest impact.
More touted players will stumble on this than anything else IMO.
Concussions are a wildcard. That's likely where it is. No way knowing how his career will continue

Ad

Upcoming events

• France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,632.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Israel vs Italy
    Israel vs Italy
    Wagers: 7