Embracing the Rebuild: Tank Nation, the Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

sjci

Feb 13, 2007
Buffalo
We win tonight, but Florida came back to tie it up against Detroit and are currently in OT, Columbus beat NJ, Edmonton is up 2-1 and Calgary/Boston and SJ/NYI are just starting

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
We win tonight, but Florida came back to tie it up against Detroit and are currently in OT, Columbus beat NJ, Edmonton is up 2-1 and Calgary/Boston and SJ/NYI are just starting

Our SO win was largely mitigated by the wins from Florida, Columbus, Edmonton, and the Islanders. Still seven points back of the next worst team. Tank on!

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
The Sabres stockpiled draft picks and acted as if it was an achievement. Now, they need to package many of them to replace top-line talent that was lost when they acquired the picks in the first place. For now, the picks are small parts of an uncertain future, pieces in a bigger picture that isn’t quite clear.

http://www.buffalonews.com/columns/bucky-gleason/sabres-jigsaw-puzzle-not-easy-to-solve-20131211

I can't deny sharing a little of Bucky's view on this - it sure does feel in a way with all of the roster purging Regier did to get the draft picks that he robbed Peter to pay Paul. He got the picks but ended up with an AHL-caliber roster that can barely compete at an NHL level.

I only wish - like so many - that Pegula would have made the switch from Regier to LaFontaine before the season; Vanek's notions of a short rebuild/retool seem to be what Pat and Nolan are embracing and Vanek would have then likely stayed.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
http://www.buffalonews.com/columns/bucky-gleason/sabres-jigsaw-puzzle-not-easy-to-solve-20131211

I can't deny sharing a little of Bucky's view on this - it sure does feel in a way with all of the roster purging Regier did to get the draft picks that he robbed Peter to pay Paul. He got the picks but ended up with an AHL-caliber roster that can barely compete at an NHL level.

I only wish - like so many - that Pegula would have made the switch from Regier to LaFontaine before the season; Vanek's notions of a short rebuild/retool seem to be what Pat and Nolan are embracing and Vanek would have then likely stayed.

So who the **** do you trade to get Vanek a top-line center?

You draft one. I don't know what part of "rebuild through the draft" Bucky doesn't get. "Robbing Peter to pay Paul" is exactly the plan. You rob your present roster to support a more competitive future roster.

Last edited:

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan

...there's no winning with these TBN assclowns.

The roster was purged because the roster was bad. It was stripped down and parlayed into draft picks. Don't "trade" the picks to acquire an "available" top-line talent; just use the picks on top-line talent near the top of the draft.

For the record, I didn't read the whole article -- just the snippet you quoted -- so I have no clue what Bucky's even getting at. Based on that excerpt, it's just more complaining.

Does this idiot think he's qualified to build an NHL roster? Based on his annual offseason articles (his armchair GM bs), he does. And I think it's adorable.

Last edited:

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Oh boy...

Note that this is a jab at Bucky , not at any poster here.

"The Sabres stockpiled draft picks and acted as if it was an achievement. Now, they need to package many of them to replace top-line talent that was lost when they acquired the picks in the first place. For now, the picks are small parts of an uncertain future, pieces in a bigger picture that isn’t quite clear."

Acquiring those draft picks was an achievement. How they are used will determine whether or not it was successful, but in the end, they stuck to a plan, and saw it through (referencing Regier removing the old guard).

In all likelihood, they WILL package some of those picks together for players. You can't make that many selections. That's not a revelation or a face-saving move; that's part of a rebuild.

This baffles me. He's essentially saying nothing, and hoping to draw the anger of the losing team's fans to support him out of an emotional response.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore

So now he's bemoaning the trading of a core group that he always derided for frequently coming up short? He always ripped Regier for the too-safe approach he took to building his team. Regier and ownership finally decide to go bold, and that's a problem, too?

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
So now he's bemoaning the trading of a core group that he always derided for frequently coming up short? He always ripped Regier for the too-safe approach he took to building his team. Regier and ownership finally decide to go bold, and that's a problem, too?

They didn't trade Pominville and Vanek for Crosby and Kane therefore it's a fail, of course!

:facepalm:

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
I'm sure there were lots of teams out there willing to give us a better player than Vanek for... Vanek.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012

He's got hf logic, trade my under achiever for your superstar!

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ

That's the two-sidedness of his argument - like you noted, he wrote for years that the core group had to be dismantled and shipped out and when it didn't happen, he blamed both Regier's stubbornness to let go and on an assumed lack of value for those players around the league. To lament the effect of the dismantling is a reversal of opinion on Bucky's part.

FamilyGuy716

Jun 15, 2011
Amherst NY
I'm sorry I wasted the time reading Bucky's article. There is no easy way to rebuild when we were missing so many pieces. Keep the tank going for 1 more year and then start the rebuild (trades, FA's). We have to see this through the 2015 draft. Stay the course and be patient.

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
I want to live in a world where GM's trade their young, cost/team-controlled top line players for uncertain draft picks.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I would suspect the new GM gets to have a serious say in making "The Plan" and that it is possible some of the picks accumulated in trade do get used on targetted individual players at some point. But since there is no GM, there is no "Plan" yet...

LaFontaine has also stressed the importance of the next couple drafts and the importance of the talent at the top of those drafts.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
If the draft were held today and the Islanders elected not to defer Buffalo would have the #1 and #2 highest chance to win the lottery and the #5 highest chance to win the lottery wouldn't exist. Just need New Jersey to keep losing. At this point I expect either Anaheim to win the lottery with Ottawa's pick or Colorado to win the lottery with the worst odds.

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
Some people on the Sabres Google+ page want them to "make it interesting in the playoff hunt" and "get as many points as possible".

:biglaugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad