Confirmed with Link: Emberson elects arbitration

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
As the player elected arbitration, the team/Sharks get to choose the (arbitration awarded) length of one or two years. (He's a UFA in three seasons.)

But the player/agent and Sharks can negotiate a longer deal if they want to (before the hearing).

Reactions: Sandisfan

hotcabbagesoup

Save us Celebrini!
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Arbitration is a great way to make sure that a deal gets done. It can certainly be completed before arbitration even begins, but at least there is a surety that it will not stay in a limbo state and the player will be ready for training camp.

Man, why didnt Nick Bosa file for arbitration. What a wasted opportunity. If he was ready to play last year we may have won the Superb owl.

Reactions: sharks_dynasty

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Maybe to open up a second buyout window (can't really see anyone getting bought out other than Vlasic though)? Don't see why they would haggle with Emberson over 500K on a 2 or 3yr deal or whatever with the cap sheet the way it is.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Maybe to open up a second buyout window (can't really see anyone getting bought out other than Vlasic though)? Don't see why they would haggle with Emberson over 500K on a 2 or 3yr deal or whatever with the cap sheet the way it is.
It’s the only worthwhile reason to not just give Emberson whatever he’s asking.

Reactions: DG93

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
It’s not like the Sharks are concerned about the cap. It could be that the Sharks want a 2-3 year deal but Emberson only wants a 1 year deal to bet on himself. Or could be the other way around. It’s just hard to imagine the Sharks being concern about his cap hit.

Reactions: Sandisfan

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
It’s not like the Sharks are concerned about the cap. It could be that the Sharks want a 2-3 year deal but Emberson only wants a 1 year deal to bet on himself. Or could be the other way around. It’s just hard to imagine the Sharks being concern about his cap hit.
Just because you have extra cap space isn’t a reason to spend it foolishly. I’m sure the Sharks are trying to negotiate a fair deal for Emberson and his agent is using arbitration to get him the best deal he can. Nothing to see here. He’ll get signed one way or another.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Emberson has a great arb case. 0.33 points per game, almost 19 mins per game, only -4 on historically awful team.

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
He’s letting his ego get in the way of his opportunity…
I don't think that's necessarily the case here; if anything, as the two posts right above yours demonstrate, Emberson has a particularly tricky contract situation to figure out. Just how good was he? (Pretty good, I thought! And the numbers bear it out, as @Hodge said.)

But only 30 games is tough. He wasn't as good when he came back from injury, trying to get up to speed, and then went down again pretty quickly.

So just because he and his agent see good reason for him to get a decent deal doesn't mean he's an egomaniac or anything like that. We know guys at the elite level need to be confident, and I think he has reason to feel that way--even if he probably needs to prove it further to get the contract he wants.

tahoesharksfan

Old-Timer
Apr 29, 2014
The Lake
I don't think that's necessarily the case here; if anything, as the two posts right above yours demonstrate, Emberson has a particularly tricky contract situation to figure out. Just how good was he? (Pretty good, I thought! And the numbers bear it out, as @Hodge said.)

But only 30 games is tough. He wasn't as good when he came back from injury, trying to get up to speed, and then went down again pretty quickly.

So just because he and his agent see good reason for him to get a decent deal doesn't mean he's an egomaniac or anything like that. We know guys at the elite level need to be confident, and I think he has reason to feel that way--even if he probably needs to prove it further to get the contract he wants.

You had me right up to the "as Hodge said" part....;)

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
What is he going to bet on himself with?

his ceiling is 6th/7th Defenseman with no offensive ability

Reactions: Sharkz4Fun

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad