(Elliott) - Jim Benning Firing: It Sounds like its coming

Drew Doubty

Apr 4, 2010
Vancouver, B.C.
Tkachuk, (Baertschi -> Andersson), Markstrom and Tanev...

Benning has done a fine job helping to build the Calgary Flames core. If he loses his job, he will be sorely missed by the Flames.

You guys are going to be a middling team for the rest of time. When's your window? Now? In a couple years? I'm glad you've accepted mediocrity for infinite

Reactions: Fig

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
Gillis still in BC? He can act as the GM to finish the year. :laugh:

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Benning deserves to keep his job if we're looking at how he drafted.

Unfortunately, that is only a fraction of the GM's job and by every other measure he's been pretty bad. This group has zero vision or foresight and pretty much just flies by the seat of their pants on any given offseason.

That caught up with them in a huge way this offseason when they let Markstrom, Tanev, Toffoli and Stecher walk for nothing because they'd signed so many awful vets to bad contracts. Not to mention losing Brackett and Malholtra, who are both thriving in their new orgs.

My fear isn't that firing Benning is a bad decision, it's that the same ownership group that hired him will be appointing the next GM.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
If Gillis is GM again, the OBC will give the finger to him and the Vancouver Canucks.

Haha I bet. Has there ever been a GM fired and hired again? You never know covid brings out all the weird. :sarcasm:

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
I'd wait until the offseason to make any GM move of that 's the way it goes. There is no upside in doing it now, as you can't really make any moves to fix the team due to the 14 day quarantine. JB's has done a great job of drafting/leading our scout team, why let him go midway through the year when we are staring down a high 1st/high 2nd? Even of they make the move prior to the draft, you at least get the value out of his scouting ability until then. We are going to be paying him regardless.

The timing doesn't make sense to me. I'd move on from Green before making a GM move mid season. I feel the biggest reason for our struggles comes from our defensive structure/ability to adapt than personnel.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Vancouver was the biggest regression candidate in the league, next to NYR. Benning probably should go anyway but don't necessarily think there's a fix needed aside from losing the obvious dead weight. The best players on the team are young and just need more incoming talent which will come with being bad.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Haha I bet. Has there ever been a GM fired and hired again? You never know covid brings out all the weird. :sarcasm:

When Gillis was GM of the Canucks his drafting was shit and produced 2 NHL players from his tenure, Bo Horvat is still in the league and is our captain.

Also let’s keep it real, the NHL is very political and if you ain’t down with the OBC you are severely screwed. Gillis was this and the only team he dealt with in terms of trading was the Panthers.

What team is Gillis a part of now once he left Vancouver? How many interviews has he had? None have led to jobs.

Reactions: BWJM

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
My biggest fear is that when Benning is fired his replacement is an equally inept Chiarelli or JFJ. The other issue is that even if Benning is fired tomorrow, his interim replacement is probably Weisbrod. Just an awful time to replace a GM.
I think it’d be some random former Canuck, maybe Stan Smyl or Ryan Johnson.

im worried that Johnson might actually get the GM job, not just interim

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I would say this is a bit of a knee-jerk reaction to a bad start to the season, but given his cap management over the last 18 months, probably time to stop him from doing more damage.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
I would say this is a bit of a knee-jerk reaction to a bad start to the season, but given his cap management over the last 18 months, probably time to stop him from doing more damage.

18 months? It's been an issue since day 1. Brandon Sutter's contract alone prevented the Canucks from making moves this off-season.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I'd wait until the offseason to make any GM move of that 's the way it goes. There is no upside in doing it now, as you can't really make any moves to fix the team due to the 14 day quarantine. JB's has done a great job of drafting/leading our scout team, why let him go midway through the year when we are staring down a high 1st/high 2nd? Even of they make the move prior to the draft, you at least get the value out of his scouting ability until then. We are going to be paying him regardless.

The timing doesn't make sense to me. I'd move on from Green before making a GM move mid season. I feel the biggest reason for our struggles comes from our defensive structure/ability to adapt than personnel.
Lunacy. Utter lunacy.

You want another Virtanen/Juolevi and Lind/Woo combo?

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC

Loui Eriksson albatross of a contract is hand cuffing this team, which was signed in the 2016 off season. This man has cashed in the checks and could give a flying f*** about trying as long as the money guaranteed in his bank account.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Knee jerk or now all his mistakes are finally showing up to casuals who haven’t been paying attention the whole time. He should have never been extended in 2018 and had to be overruled to get Pettersson.

Guys a rube. Terrible manager. Mediocre scout.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Knee jerk or now all his mistakes are finally showing up to casuals who haven’t been paying attention the whole time. He should have never been extended in 2018 and had to be overruled to get Pettersson.

Guys a rube. Terrible manager. Mediocre scout.

Which is why he will get another job once he leaves Vancouver. NHL loves to recycle their own.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
18 months? It's been an issue since day 1. Brandon Sutter's contract alone prevented the Canucks from making moves this off-season.

It's definitely been an issue longer than that, but this past off-season and the season+off-season before that I felt were particularly problematic. Early on the Canucks were retooling/rebuilding, so a little easier to look the other way on some questionable UFA signings.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
The Offseason of 2018 is really coming back to haunt him.

He deserves to be fired after an idiotic off season. He was his own downfall.

This. If you bring up the proverbial train coming towards him, he's the one who tied himself to the tracks.

Reactions: 420Canuck

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
It's definitely been an issue longer than that, but this past off-season and the season+off-season before that I felt were particularly problematic. Early on the Canucks were retooling/rebuilding, so a little easier to look the other way on some questionable UFA signings.

That was what was used to defend Benning's signings of Beagle/Roussel, "these deals won't affect us when we're ready to contend", but low and behold, they did. I agree though that the last two off-seasons have bore the worst fruit. The Myers/Ferland signings in particular will haunt the Canucks' new GM over the next couple seasons. Without those two, they could've legitimately made an offer to Alex Pietrangelo this off-season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad