(Elliott) - Jim Benning Firing: It Sounds like its coming

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Benning should have been fired a few years ago. Now seems like a weird time to pinpoint their bad performance on the GM.

The Grim Reaper

Apr 18, 2017
Hobart, Tasmania
I wonder who their replacement will be.

Screen-Shot-2020-04-13-at-4.53.57-PM.png

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
I suppose it would be tough on Jim's pride but I think he is a bigger help to an organization in the amateur scouting department. So maybe Canucks could work out a "demotion"

Reactions: AvroArrow

Waterbuf

Sep 21, 2018
Vancouver
Sure it needs to happen and would come as absolutely no surprise at this point, but I don't see how this helps fix the team anytime within the next three or four years.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Benning did a good job rebuilding the team after the cupboards were naked.

Canuck owner wants to win now and my guess whomever replaces Benning will trade young kids for old vets

Tkachuk, (Baertschi -> Andersson), Markstrom and Tanev...

Benning has done a fine job helping to build the Calgary Flames core. If he loses his job, he will be sorely missed by the Flames.

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana

Elliott Said this moments ago. Per Vancouver Media

Also in the last few days he has basically mentioned that his time seems to be nearing to an end, and that the shortened Covid season is basically the only reason nothing has happened yet.

Should be an interesting thread to chitchat about.

Elliotte is mostly reliable -- it sounds like VAN fans (most or some?) could be getting their wish.

Last edited:

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Sure it needs to happen and would come as absolutely no surprise at this point, but I don't see how this helps fix the team anytime within the next three or four years.
Why that long?

Most of the bad deals(except Myers) expire during the summer of 22 which is like a year and a half from now.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
It’s honestly kind of crazy, losing a job mostly because you did not want to resign at least two of the three people that were so loved here and wanted to be here so bad.

Kind of surreal

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Who are considered to be the best available options for a GM role at the moment?

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
It’s honestly kind of crazy, losing a job mostly because you did not want to resign at least two of the three people that were so loved here and wanted to be here so bad.

Kind of surreal
I think the build up that lead to that played a big part too. Canucks probably re-sign 1 or 2 of Marky/Tanev/Toffoli if not for all the wasted cap on LE/Sutter/Myers/Beagle/Roussel/Benn

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Maybe wait a couple of weeks more before you fire the builder of your promising young team. So far it's just a big slump, they'll improve..

I appreciate the young core he's put together, and am one of those who acknowledges he has improved as time went on. I thought there was a good chance that the team would take a step back this season, though the manner in which the team has taken a step back is shocking.

For all he has done well, he has not shown himself to be a GM who can make the small key supporting signings to bring the team to a new level. I think the team needs a new GM now to decide what they want to sell off at the deadline for value, and how to build into the new season.

I anticipate the team will sit on Green until the offseason then move on.

mdobbs

Oct 21, 2010
The worst thing that happened to them was the run they had in the bubble last year. They went deep on the back of vezina calibre goaltending and unsustainable shooting percentages. Couple that with the inability to bring back said goalie and losing 2 top 6 defenceman and a top 6 forward while not having prospects ready to fill the roles... this could have been seen from a long distance. I'll give benning credit in his ability to draft and develop. it's the other aspects of talent acquisition, retention, and pro player talent recognition that he isn't very good at. Loui, Myers, Sutter don't bring much for a cap hit of 15 million +/-. The coaching and ability to put in the right systems to maximize the abilities of the players you DO have is also his responsibility. No offence to the nucks' fans, consistent wandering and blown assignments in the defensive zone shows zero indication of a cohesive system. Benning has had years to right the ship, I have defended some of his moves in the past, but it's time for the team to get a new voice and new ideas to create success, he has failed.

Lol the irony is that they had this run and then Benning let a bunch of key assets walk as if the Canucks were rebuilding.

Not that they could have retained all of Marky/Tanev/Toffoli due to horrible cap management by JB in the first place....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad