Proposal: Elias Pettersson to NYR

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Trouba isn't worth $8m at 27 yet you think 50% of the league would be interested in him at 30/31?
I never said half the league would be interested in HIM, I said half the league seems to be looking for a rhd. There is a difference. Not all those teams may want him but someone out of that group certainly would. His salary also drops to 6mil per for those last 2 years despite the 8mil cap hit, so that will also be attractive for certain teams. He isnt an anchor contract that cant be moved...

Hierso

Time to Rock
Oct 2, 2018
Trading Pettersson pretty much would force the nucks into a "blow it all up" mode (unless it's for someone like Eichel). I think that a deal for picks & prospects will turn ugly because i think Horvat would bail on another re-build.

Paddys Pub

Jul 18, 2016
Port Coquitlam
Nothing short of a young #1 dman would be acceptable in a Pettersson trade.
A long list of Meh, for a player who is absolutely NOT available for trade is not going to happen.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Doubtful Vancouver accepts, And it's very doubtful the Rangers can afford EP. They just gave Zibanejad $8,500,000 for 8 years Fox is going to cost 8 x $10,000,000 I like how people think the Rangers can afford high priced players.

Rangers can afford
but
still can't get around cap

A short term stopgap is moving Strome + Geo + couple of lesser guys
that's ballpark 10m
problem is how do you fit that next season, when you need to repurpose all of Trouba's 8m, and he has full nmc

I think after this season he can be bribed to move a year or two early, but it is a big risk if he says no.
Given who has nmc, team needs, etc, it does not seem doable

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Rangers can afford
but
still can't get around cap

A short term stopgap is moving Strome + Geo + couple of lesser guys
that's ballpark 10m
problem is how do you fit that next season, when you need to repurpose all of Trouba's 8m, and he has full nmc

I think after this season he can be bribed to move a year or two early, but it is a big risk if he says no.
Given who has nmc, team needs, etc, it does not seem doable
Yeah with his wife going to be a Dr in New York City, There's zero chance of him waiving his NMC at least until it becomes a Mod-NTC and unfortunately for Drury that's still 3 years away.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Yeah with his wife going to be a Dr in New York City, There's zero chance of him waiving his NMC at least until it becomes a Mod-NTC and unfortunately for Drury that's still 3 years away.

There is zero chance anything happens this year, and that's fine.

I could see Dolan making a 1mil tax write off donation to _________ which is a hospital, etc, where the wife will work, with the understanding that a good chunk of that donation will go where she wants to underwrite exactly what she wants to do.
In exchange Trouba agrees to be traded to where _________ is located.

That is the carrot.
The stick is
"look, we good, but we are not keeping an older guy when Schneider is younger 1st round elc, so you can help us move you 1-2 seasons early, or you can wait until the last minute.
If you work with us, we will bend over backwards to place you where you wanna go.
If you cost us by being obstinate, then paybac is a bitch. And we will trade you as is our best interests, wherever that may be, your preferences be damned."

So it's either gonna be next season, or during the following season before it ends.
I don't think he is a Ranger for another 2 full seasons

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
It’s not going to happen. Canucks would be stupid to deal him anywhere. Too much vested in him.
Ferraro said the other day the Petey has been more of a perimeter player since his 1/2nd year and it’s had a big overall effect on his game. He doesn’t like going to the dirty areas to score, and that’s what made him really dangerous.
Question to nucks fans is why???
Did the injury really change his game that much??
Or is the mix of the injury and him being a small stature guy making him Deliberately trying to avoid contact??
How has he looked so far this year for you guys??
He was always an interesting player to me, rangers were for sure going to draft him. He was high on their list..

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
It's not nitpicking, it's just pure plain fact. And even with a Mod-NTC doesn't mean Trouba is going anyhwere if there's no takers for him.
That’s just not true. Especially with the way he’s been playing. Trouba has been excellent and Is turning miller into a beast. He’s accepted his Defense 1st role and being smarter when to and when not to jump in the play.
I doubt they move him for at least 3 seasons though. He’s only 27 and his contract ends when he’s 32. Not old by any means.
I doubt Drury is going to have a hard time or have to bribe anyone to take him when he’ll have only 2/3 years left on his deal.
Not for a Big Right handed Minute eater with a mean streak who keeps the crease clear. They are always in demand. He’s also capable of playing solid in transition. He’s put up 50 pts before.
Especially with some of the contracts we’ve just seen some defensemen sign this offseason. The cap will also be higher 3 seasons from now.
At most Trouba is overpaid by 1-1.5 million maybe. His stats are lower here because we have better alternatives to run the PP. after fox, Trouba has been our best D. There are just some ranger fans that don’t like him for whatever reason and always talk shit about him.
I’d expect when the Rangers are ready to deal Trouba, he’ll bring back a return similar to what Jake Muzzin brought back from the leafs.
I highly highly doubt Drury would have a hard time dealing Kreider or Trouba with only 2 years left on their deals if they need to move them early. They both will also cost more in cap hit the. Real Dollars at that point. Unless they massively both fall off a cliff

Last edited:

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Trouba isn't worth $8m at 27 yet you think 50% of the league would be interested in him at 30/31?
Have you seen some of the contracts top 4 D signed this offseason???
3 years down the road they’re going to be even uglier.
NYR isn’t going to have a problem trading him at age 30 to age 32 with only 2 years left on his deal.
There will be at least a few playoff teams looking to add a big top 4 RD who hits, protects the crease, and moves the puck

FoxysExpensiveNYDigs

Boo Nieves Truther
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado

I could see Dolan making a 1mil tax write off donation to _________ which is a hospital, etc, where the wife will work, with the understanding that a good chunk of that donation will go where she wants to underwrite exactly what she wants to do.

That is the carrot.
The stick is
"look, we good, but we are not keeping an older guy when Schneider is younger 1st round elc, so you can help us move you 1-2 seasons early, or you can wait until the last minute.
If you work with us, we will bend over backwards to place you where you wanna go.
If you cost us by being obstinate, then paybac is a bitch. And we will trade you as is our best interests, wherever that may be, your preferences be damned."

So it's either gonna be next season, or during the following season before it ends.
Absolute delusional fantasy.

Reactions: One Winged Angel

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
It’s not going to happen. Canucks would be stupid to deal him anywhere. Too much vested in him.
Ferraro said the other day the Petey has been more of a perimeter player since his 1/2nd year and it’s had a big overall effect on his game. He doesn’t like going to the dirty areas to score, and that’s what made him really dangerous.
Question to nucks fans is why???
Did the injury really change his game that much??
Or is the mix of the injury and him being a small stature guy making him Deliberately trying to avoid contact??
How has he looked so far this year for you guys??
He was always an interesting player to me, rangers were for sure going to draft him. He was high on their list..
His first two years he went to the dirty areas, etc.. his play in the bubble was the best he ever played. Last year he started in a funk, and got injured just as he seemed to be playing better.

This season, he had a huge layoff recovering then missed training camp. I think hes just got to play himself back into the game, and its a real struggle for him right now.

Reactions: jay from jersey

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008

That is the carrot.
The stick is

That’s just so far out there, I don’t know where to begin...
They only reason Trouba might waive early is if /when Schneider passes him on the depth chart and starts taking his minutes.
He MIGHT be willing to move if that happened. Even then, he’s be better then a 3rd pair D, and the rangers wouldn’t want to pay 8 mill a year for a good 3rd pair D
Schneider will break in on 3rd pair next season. I have no doubt. So barring any injury, or some unforeseen circumstance, I’d expect it to be a full 2 years from the point were at right now before Schneider taking over Trouba’s workload is even a possibility.
At that point, he’ll have a year left before his NMC switches to a MNTC.
The guy isn’t going to just except a trade to anywhere either. It would likely have to be a playoff team, with a need for the position and the cap space.
Even with the absurd notion that Dolan is going to be handing out Million dollar checks to get Trouba to leave early, it’s a very narrow window of teams that he would likely OK a trade too.
At least with the MNTC, he doesn’t have much of a choice, any of the 16 teams that want him, whether they are playoff teams or not, he has to go if NYR trades him if he wants his last of his contract money.

Last edited:

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
His first two years he went to the dirty areas, etc.. his play in the bubble was the best he ever played. Last year he started in a funk, and got injured just as he seemed to be playing better.

This season, he had a huge layoff recovering then missed training camp. I think hes just got to play himself back into the game, and its a real struggle for him right now.

thanks for the feedback. I figured it had to be something to do with returning from injury.
He hasn’t been away from hockey long enough to pick up any bad training habits or things like that.
I’m guessing he’ll be back to normal soon.
What he really probably needs is to be healthy in a proper offseason to add some muscle and get his body in shape.
It’s almost impossible to do when your playing a game every 2nd/3rd night and traveling all over the place

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
Pettersson and Rathbone

for

Filip Chytil , K'Andre Miller, Brayden Schneider, Brennan Othmann and 2022 - 1st

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad