Player Discussion Elias Pettersson Talk | Also Chiropractors, the Medical Staff, and You

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Thank you, @Kryten.

1729459160840.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: AlainVigneaultsGum

hlrsr

Sep 16, 2006
I wanted to believe the issue was an injury too, but when he brought it up in the presser it really did sound like something he was hiding behind. And Tocchet didn't sound too sympathetic about it either. Ditto management.

Even take Elliot's thoughts on it a few posts above -- when analyzing his poor play, he doesn't really say anything about an injury.

It's weird watching him when he's in these slumps. It almost makes you wonder what he did before that made him so good. I buy that he doesn't show his emotions the same as other players, and it does look like he's "trying", but whether you "like" him or not, something is going on with this player mentally.

Reactions: Hodgy

Hyzer

Jimbo is fired - the good guys won
Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver
To me, it's almost like hes trying not to make a mistake, almost overthinking things and scared of too many options so to speak. It's getting pretty concerning at this point in time.

And my god is this thread wild. I don't think anyone hates petey but damn I don't like Petey like I dont enjoy a shitty coworker - absolutely hate to work with him but outside of work hes chill and okay to hangout with. Man's got the bag and its time to deliver now

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Im guessing you were one of those posters.

I called it was either a hip or a knee injury.

And then the folks who said he was healthy either now down play the injury or ignore it happened completely.

I get it.

Admitting you were wrong can be really difficult for some people.

Playing for months with that injury is not a small thing.

I know you cling on some info you read about how it affects some office workers and refuse to acknowledge how different it is for a pro athlete to keep doing competetive contact sports through the injury.

I think he has had two injuries that cause significant chronic pain and that is something that has caused two of his slumps.

To think its a coincidence is driven by an agenda...

Most of the time.

I've already been over this with you and will not reiterate the points I made previously.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
There's a reason why teams conduct interviews, so they can weed out the snowflakes.

Unfortunately it seems like EP is a snowflake. Kid is a top 5 talent in the NHL, but mentally he's soft. He's honestly alot like Markus Naslund. When he's on, he's a top 5 player in the NHL, but man does he suck when his confidence is shot.

Hughes is making an impact no matter if he's producing or not, kid is mentally tough, and there's a reason he was chosen to be captain. Super disappointed in EP.

• Haha
Reactions: AlainVigneaultsGum

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004

Pettersson's Struggles:
-start to show a little bit against Philly
-theorizes that he is wired differently that Miller and Hughes; not as emotional as them
-thinks he is one of those guys that is aware of everything that is said about him and it's something he going to have to move past
-Hughes knows what matters and what doesn't
-Miller has got a lot better at "riding the line" emotionally
-Boeser has improved at remaining calm
-Friedman's constructive criticism of Pettersson is he needs to figure out how to ignore the noise

I think he's "wired differently" than most athletes, not just Hughes and Miller - we see that come out in his media interactions etc. He's very different than the type of personality you see in a pro athlete - he's got the arrogance down, but otherwise you would almost expect him to be an astrophysicist type person from his demeanour. He's not called "the alien" for nothing.

He's a special player and I think it's probably hard for the coaches to know what buttons to push. Too bad there is so much stigma around neuroatypical people, particularly in this context, because that may be the key to getting him the kind of psychological support he needs.

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
I don't even care as much about the body language. It's the not pushing the play that gets me. Like I get if that's just his personality. As long as he's trying to make things happen on the ice and making use of his talent then he has every right to be who he is and exhibit whatever body language comes naturally (though good body language is generally just better, especially in a team environment). But he doesn't. His play, while intelligent and responsible, is just so vanilla offensively.

I said it last season during the playoffs: I think it's actually more simple than we all think. The guy just needs to get stronger. He's lacking confidence to impose himself out there and I honestly think something as simple as getting stronger, staying on his skates and being better able to hold on to the puck and cut to the middle and bulldoze through or around defenders would help his confidence tremendously. The floodgates would open. That's how confidence works.

I genuinely feel for him if all the noise is getting to him. It's a tough situation because it's not as if the market is being unfair either (talking in general, obviously there are always idiots out there who say terrible things). I just hope he can be assured that the entire city is pulling for him and has his back. Hell, that should be abundantly clear after the playoffs when the fans tried to get him going. Like, the market is quite aware of exactly how he's struggling (mentally) and tried to give him a pick me up.

He really doesn't have many excuses. He's just got to figure it out fast. And the organization should be helping him in any possible way they can.

Last edited:
Reactions: CanucksMJL

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Playing for months with that injury is not a small thing.

I know you cling on some info you read about how it affects some office workers and refuse to acknowledge how different it is for a pro athlete to keep doing competetive contact sports through the injury.
And yet the coach , management and the player himself don’t see it as an excuse for his poor performance, but PuckMunchkin does?

Reactions: Hodgy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad