Player Discussion Elias Pettersson Talk | Also Chiropractors, the Medical Staff, and You

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
"people" being 2-3 posters here who just plainly don't like him. Which is their right, he's definitely got some quirks, but psychologically it must be hard to dislike one of your team's star players so much. Also, pretty sad to use the worst of this market's toxic behaviour to justify your own.

sure i'm not tarring everyone with the same brush. i just think there are some posters who -- charitably -- are inconsistent in the standards to which they hold different players

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
when pettersson was successful people talked about how cerebral and even keeled he was and how he had icy determination. he acts exactly the same now but because he's not putting up points people read it as him being a sulky manchild who's bitter he's stuck in vancouver
I'm not so sure that he is acting exactly the same now. I think early on in his NHL career we saw some Datsyuk in him where he was able to play a pressure game all over the ice. He got away from that over the years. Last year at the beginning of the season we saw him playing a type of physical game that we didn't see from him before.

I think the sulky manchild stuff just comes from a certain poster here or two. I agree that it's not nice to demean others like so and have spoken out in the past about these things but not enough people care.

From my perspective, I think criticism of Petey is warranted. My instinct is to direct criticism somewhere while discussing solutions. I also try to be fair. We've all seen what Petey is capable of. If he's suffering from minor nagging injury then he needs to find a way to produce. Assuming that we're not dealing with a player who has lost a step and declined, I'm having trouble finding an excuse for Petey's poor play and production. Part of a player's value is in their ability to stay healthy and perform while playing hurt because virtually no player is going to go through the season 100% healthy. Boeser, for example, scored goals in the playoffs with a broken finger. I am 99% sure Petey has played hurt in the past and produced.

If he's injured to the point that is causing him to play poorly I think the team should shut him down given that he's not effective. Protect your arguably your 2nd most mportant asset here. If it's a matter of geting him going, there are traditional ways like playing him until he figures it out, reuniting the Lotto Line, or playing him with someone who might spark his play (which Tocchet did playing Petey with Garland).

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
miller's body language is still horrific it's just been recontextualized with his success as him being a passionate leader who wears his heart on his sleeve and leaves it all on the ice

when pettersson was successful people talked about how cerebral and even keeled he was and how he had icy determination. he acts exactly the same now but because he's not putting up points people read it as him being a sulky manchild who's bitter he's stuck in vancouver
This is a great observation.

Is life just a series of Rorschach tests and then we die?

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
I'm not so sure that he is acting exactly the same now. I think early on in his NHL career we saw some Datsyuk in him where he was able to play a pressure game all over the ice. He got away from that over the years. Last year at the beginning of the season we saw him playing a type of physical game that we didn't see from him before.

i wasn't saying he was playing the same just that his demeanour and body language hasn't really changed since the period he was putting up 100 points

Reactions: LemonSauceD

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The first bit is toddler logic. "Man make more money, he become superman or he bad".

More money doesn't change the fundamentals of being a human being.

I'm genuinely sorry to hear about your mom and grandma and I hope they are okay, and I know people have to push through tragedy all of the time. But you weren't exactly trying to compete at something at a world class level with the eyes of millions on you and the fate of a billion dollar company resting on you either, were you?

The Boeser stuff is just again uncharacteristically unsubtle coming from you.
The difference between saying, 'yeah he got 40 goals, but he lost his edge a bit. We still believe he can be better', and "I don't care if he's watching his father waste away, he's trash and he doesn't care' is miles and miles away from each other.

And again with the weird hyperbole. Yeah, please compare him to Huberdeau who seems to have completely lost his game for 2 years. Huberdeau, over the last two years combined has literally less than half as many points as Petey does over the same span and Huberdeau isn't remotely as good of a two-way player.

Can you not see why you're rapidly burning through a lot of the credibility that you have literally spent more than 20 years building as a cerebral and nuanced poster?

This isn't the Everybody Is a Special Snowflake league.

First off, we're not judging this guys by the same metrics as 'normal' people. Nathan MacKinnon sounds like an absolutely odious human being but he is celebrated for those traits because they drive excellence for his team. Conversely, while being a chill 'nice guy with high emotional intelligence might be great if you're looking for a friend it probably isn't the personality type you want in an NHL player.

Let me give you two sentences :

1) My buddy Dave just took two days off work at Save-on Foods because his dog was sick and throwing up and he was worried and didn't want to leave him alone.

2) JT Miller will miss the next 2 Canuck playoff games in Dallas because his dog was sick and throwing up and he didn't want to leave him alone, so he won't be traveling with the team.

One of those sounds totally reasonable. The other sounds insane, even though they're exactly the same thing. This is because STANDARDS ARE DIFFERENT FOR ELITE ATHLETES GETTING PAID $50-100 MILLION CONTRACTS.

It isn't 'being superman'. It's being able to drown out distractions and show up and do your job. The vast majority of players can do it. Hell, most of us do it in our everyday lives. If you're one of the ones that can't, it's a problem. This is not rocket science.

I seriously don't understand the hate and seething rage on these boards. Like, to me I follow the game because I love the game, I follow the team because I love the team and have since I was a child. I'm happy with wins, and disappointed when we lose. Some players I love, and some I think we might be better off moving on from. But very very rarely do I HATE a player in the league, let alone on our team.

And yet it seems like so many people on these boards treat a player slumping the same way that they would if someone f***ed their girlfriend and killed their dog. I don't get it and find it exhausting.

What the hell are you talking about?

Elias Pettersson carried himself like an absolute ass toward this city and the fans here for an entire year, was given an $80 million contract ... and has then proceeded to deliver an absolutely piss-poor level of compete (coupled with miserable body language) for his last 45 games.

People care about this team. People want to see this team win. We're actually in a place were we *could* win, which is amazing. And it's absolutely infuriating to see the team's highest-paid player moping around and not competing. And people are going to be upset about that. And it's totally fair. And if you want to just be a happy clapper, that's totally fair too.

Nobody, ever, has treated Pettersson like he 'f***ed their girlfriend and killed their dog'. What an absurd thing to say. He's being treated the same way that people talk about a frustrating co-worker who doesn't pull his weight.

And again, I was super happy last season. I'm still mostly super happy now. But Pettersson's performance and it's role in killing our season last year was a Big Freaking Deal, and there is absolutely nothing wrong or weird about being upset about it.

It's also amusing to see that there is apparently some arbitrary point in your mind where Huberdeau's uninspired 50-60 point play becomes 'bad' and worthy of criticism.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
1729459160840.jpeg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad