Player Discussion Elias Pettersson Talk | Also Chiropractors, the Medical Staff, and You

crowfish

Jun 3, 2011
Our window will slam shut if we get this kind of performance for 11.6 mil/yr.

I hope he turns it around, and we all know he can, but man oh man, I'm personally tired of waiting.

He needs to be better.

I am personally tired of waiting too, it's been 1 full game now with him making 11.6 and he had a sorta bad game, this is not acceptable!

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Lmao this fanbase is absolutely delusional about player values. Retain money to trade Elias Pettersson?

It's all theoretical right now, however if we are in a position to trade Elias Pettersson then we will likely have to retain. It's not ludicrous to think so...

It's sort of similar to JT Miller when he was rumored to be on the trading block in 2023. NY, Carolina and Pittsburgh wanted Vancouver to retain....but it was a non-starter.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
The problem I have with EP is that I really don't know what fires him up, if anything? He's paid like one of the top 5 players in the league but all too often you wonder if he's even playing. I have no idea what motivates him and I have to wonder if Tocchet knows either. He's like the Elon Musk of hockey players, super talented but a really strange character who you are never really sure what's going on in his brain and if he'd rather be off doing something else. When you are getting paid like EP I should know you are on the ice because you should be dominating the majority of your shifts, especially against weaker opponents.

OTOH...it was the 1st game of the year, and there will be some adjustments...you can't throw out the baby with the bath water.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
I think what drives people crazy is that he looked like more of a game breaking talent in his rookie season than he does now. His shot was electric, he was quick and agile, and he regularly deked guys out of their jockstrap 1 on 1.

Details-wise he is a vastly superior player now, but for whatever reason that electricity that he possessed early on is no longer present for the most part. His half-wall clapper seemingly misses about 90% of the time, his short-side wrister that used to nearly take off the goalie's ear is nowhere to be seen, all the small touches that used to make him look like genius now go into skates and result in turnovers.

I don't think he's washed or anything, but I think he's really struggled to maintain the offensive dominance while staying on top of the defensive details. It's like it's all one thing too many for his brain to process.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
I think what drives people crazy is that he looked like more of a game breaking talent in his rookie season than he does now. His shot was electric, he was quick and agile, and he regularly deked guys out of their jockstrap 1 on 1.

Details-wise he is a vastly superior player now, but for whatever reason that electricity that he possessed early on is no longer present for the most part. His half-wall clapper seemingly misses about 90% of the time, his short-side wrister that used to nearly take off the goalie's ear is nowhere to be seen, all the small touches that used to make him look like genius now go into skates and result in turnovers.

I don't think he's washed or anything, but I think he's really struggled to maintain the offensive dominance while staying on top of the defensive details. It's like it's all one thing too many for his brain to process.

Well said, he used to easily deke defenders and go right through traffic with crazy stick handling and puck control, now he fumbles it.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver

Before the all-star break last season, he was also that player. That's what's so frustrating - he is either a top 10 or top 40 centre, and we don't know what drives him to be the former.

I really hope he gets "it" back. Contending windows are small, and ours isn't even open without him at his best.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It's only a murmur now, but could become much louder with Pettersson as the season grinds onward.

I wonder how serious they were about trading him to Carolina, with Martin Necas and maybe a couple of other players coming back? Also wonder if at any point they'll regret not making a deal like the one with Horvat.

Munber1

Jun 5, 2011
I think maybe he's a bit too focussed on showing off his fancy stickwork, which usually happens while skating slowly...but maybe he thinks people expect that of him?
I'd like to see him with a bit more of that Garland attitude/energy...and he seemed to play better when he was just starting out with the Canucks because maybe he was eager to show everyone
how good he was, which is different than the feeling of trying to live up to what he thinks others expect of him

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Any player that makes over 11.5M jumps out at you on the ice. You can tell within 1 shift they are the best player on the ice. EP has never been that, quite the opposite actually. People notice his poor skating and always falling over. I really hope he turns into a dominant Superstar game in, game out, as the Franchise has pushed all the chips in on this player by giving him that monstrous contract.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
75 points in 62GP before signing the extension last year, 21 points (6 goals) in 33GP after the extension. I don’t know if it’s all mental and pressure related, but it definitely doesn’t look good right now.

• Wow
Reactions: Hodgy and Coffees

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
He played fairly well in the first period. Seemed to go downhill for him once he passed up that grade A chance to shoot it from the slot. Let's give him until the quarter mark to pass judgement.

Reactions: PavelBure10

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
Any player that makes over 11.5M jumps out at you on the ice. You can tell within 1 shift they are the best player on the ice. EP has never been that, quite the opposite actually. People notice his poor skating and always falling over. I really hope he turns into a dominant Superstar game in, game out, as the Franchise has pushed all the chips in on this player by giving him that monstrous contract.
I'm not sure if you are referring to the period where he is paid $11.5m (1 game sample size), or his career as a whole, but if you are talking about his career, then your comment is clearly wrong. There has been several periods (extended periods) where Petey is clearly the best player on the ice and stood out big time.

I get everyone is frustrated but let's not say things that are clearly false now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad