Player Discussion Elias Pettersson Talk | Also Chiropractors, the Medical Staff, and You

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
If you put, like, Evan Rodrigues into our lineup and then Rodrigues had a really mediocre 40 games that’s what the last half-season of Pettersson looks like from a guy making $11.6 million.

And this is the 3rd time in his career he’s done this.

iRageWin

Aug 7, 2014
Petey needs to wake up. His contract is gonna be worse than Loui Eriksson's if he keeps playing the way he is -- and if that's the case, management seriously has to look long and hard at when to start the rebuild again. I don't want Quinn Hughes to waste his career saddled with overpaid underperforming players, the kid is special and deserves a cup.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
Interestingly, he played 13 less seconds than Hughes tonight, making him #2 in ice time for the entire game (both teams).

Tocchet must really want him to get off to a good start to the season.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
If you put, like, Evan Rodrigues into our lineup and then Rodrigues had a really mediocre 40 games that’s what the last half-season of Pettersson looks like from a guy making $11.6 million.

And this is the 3rd time in his career he’s done this.
You really need to eat crow on your previous predictions on Pettersson before you get to make new bold ones.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Petey needs to wake up. His contract is gonna be worse than Loui Eriksson's if he keeps playing the way he is -- and if that's the case, management seriously has to look long and hard at when to start the rebuild again. I don't want Quinn Hughes to waste his career saddled with overpaid underperforming players, the kid is special and deserves a cup.
I wonder if Hughes will even be here once he hits FA. NJD is maybe his preferred team, with his brothers on a younger team that will be in an easier division by then.

Still say EP's main issue is post concussion syndrome.

Spectrefire

Jan 3, 2013
I wonder if Hughes will even be here once he hits FA. NJD is maybe his preferred team, with his brothers on a younger team that will be in an easier division by then.

Still say EP's main issue is post concussion syndrome.
Hughes strikes me as someone who really likes it in Vancouver and more importantly, wants to run his own team.

Reactions: theguardianII

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Hughes strikes me as someone who really likes it in Vancouver and more importantly, wants to run his own team.
He has stated before he would like to play with his brothers. At his brothers draft day he actually stated he can't wait until he would be.
Besides he might like to be just a player by then, being under the lime light could get boring.
And in all likelihood the Canucks will be in retool, rebuild or re-whatever mode by then. Just about all the current roster stars will be gone aged, Miller will be going on 36/37yrs old, no Demko and no "window".
Trading away the future now for instant gratification does have it's prices, see Washington, Penquins, Chicago, Detroit.
There just doesn't seem to be another star in the system now so in the future?

Unless they trade EP and get what he is still perceived to be worth to the right team and then use that additional cap space to replace one star with two in the making and a pick or two.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Wasn't his best game, but I didn't think he was THAT bad. Feels like there's some chemistry there with DeBrusk.

He was fine but just "fine" isn't enough for a player of his usage/role and more importantly his price tag.

At his salary there needs to be consistent elite play. It's really about as simple as that.

If it wasn't for his second half last season it would be "just one game" but it was just more of the same and that's going to be worrisome for as long as he performs like the neutered version of himself.

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
$141,423 in the bank to show up and do his best Marcus Naslund impression.

Folks, we have our very own tin man

Attachments

• tin-man1.jpg
    tin-man1.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 0

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
Well that 100% didn't happen.

And regardless of all that, the fit just makes 0 sense - if Luke becomes the player everyone thinks he could, having that skill set of his + Quinn's and paying the premium that it would require wouldn't make any sense for the Devils. Some people are so insecure about it when the reality is he's the captain of one of the biggest teams in the league, living in one of the most beautiful cities in the world - by all accounts, he loves it here.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
I think management needs to have a 15-20 game tryout period with EP to start the season. If the team is struggling, and he’s playing the same way he has been for the past 40+ games, you have to explore the idea of moving him. If the team is playing well, maybe you give him until the new year to figure it out.

Reactions: Flik

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
I think management needs to have a 15-20 game tryout period with EP to start the season. If the team is struggling, and he’s playing the same way he has been for the past 40+ games, you have to explore the idea of moving him. If the team is playing well, maybe you give him until the new year to figure it out.

The time to move him was before they committed huge term and salary to this player in the off-season. His trade value is probably at the point where we need to retain a few mil.

We have no choice but to ride this thing out and hope he develops into a player he's shown he can be.

Reactions: iceburg

Flik

Canucks fan for life
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2010
Vancouver, WA
Our window will slam shut if we get this kind of performance for 11.6 mil/yr.

I hope he turns it around, and we all know he can, but man oh man, I'm personally tired of waiting.

He needs to be better.

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver
He needs to start putting the puck into the net. He’s turned so passive in the offensive zone. He didn’t play bad last night but he hasn’t looked like a game breaker for a long time now.

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
How can somebody go from:

High level of intensity.
Playing with intention.
High level of skill.
High level of compete.
High level of determination.
Desire to win.

To:

Uninvolved.
Uninterested.
Poor body language.
Low level of compete.
Low level of intensity.
Unable or Unwilling to use their skill.

Usually, its because they're unhappy or burnt out.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
In the category of "I'm not saying it's true but it makes you wonder", is EP just pissed that he isn't THE guy anymore? He has always come across as having a little bit of a swollen head (not that brief media appearances should be weighted heavily). Could it be that Hughes' captainship and Miller's clear innate leadership have caused him to take a little bit of a back seat and, thus, lowered his intensity...not saying it's true but...

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Pettersson plays better with slightly slower wingers: Boeser, Pearson, Toffoli, Goldobin, Eriksson. Slowing down allows his skillset to shine as he makes nifty plays, it’s a big reason why’s he’s effective on the PP. When he’s playing with fast wingers: Mikheyev, Hoglander, DeBrusk, Sprong he’s a bit out of his element, the faster his line skates the higher the chances of Pettersson falling or fumbling the play, it’s not his strength, Benn-Pettersson-Tkachuk would be ideal wingers for Pettersson. Pettersson’s greatest assets are his mind/awareness and ability to stick handle and make plays in a phone booth.

Last edited:

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
I don't know the value of piling on this player right now.

He's obviously not at the top of his game, but as he goes, so the Canucks go. This is not a moveable piece you can just rotate out. He's gotta get his head straight, and having the entire fanbase up in arms is not going to help the situation.

For what it's worth, I don't think he had a bad game last night. He was moving his feet and involved in the play. He just can't connect his passes and is making poor decisions under pressure. Perhaps this player would be better off in a market where there is not so much scrutiny, but as fans we the best thing we can do is take a breath and let the situation play out.

iRageWin

Aug 7, 2014
The fans literally rallied behind him during the playoffs and tried to get him going through his struggles. I think fans have every right to be up in arms at this point, and wouldn't be surprised if fans start calling for his head and trying to run him out of town if he can't turn it around after 10-20 games

crowfish

Jun 3, 2011
The time to move him was before they committed huge term and salary to this player in the off-season. His trade value is probably at the point where we need to retain a few mil.

We have no choice but to ride this thing out and hope he develops into a player he's shown he can be.

Lmao this fanbase is absolutely delusional about player values. Retain money to trade Elias Pettersson?

Matty Beniers just got over 7+mill coming off a 15 goal, 37-point season. 11.6 million is not even close to an overpay for an 85-110 point centerman, which is exactly what Pettersson is.

The fact that this thread is getting all this action after a night where he played 23 mins, 1 point, on ice for 3 goals for & 2 against, drew a penalty is just insane, but 100% predictable. The media has helped stoke this fire all offseason long with the "11.6" talk, even though it is just a standard contract for a player like Pettersson.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bgav

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad