Player Discussion Elias Pettersson Talk | Also Chiropractors, the Medical Staff, and You

Orr4Norris

Mar 2, 2018
People really be going through this every now and then,
Petey had a slump under Travis Green as well, maybe we shouldve traded him for a 1st and 2nd round pick back then.

Performance isnt always linear, he's a phenomenal player and an elite player.
It is literally acknowledged by the entire league.
This little injury that set him back this season isnt gonna hinder his career.
I do think it’s valid to be a bit worried how he plays through injury though. You’re not winning the SC healthy. And we’re not talking ‘he was a bit off’, he was absolute trash this post season.

I’m not worried he won’t bounce back once healthy. He’s obviously an incredible player when he’s on. But he is also an incredibly frustrating player at times.

Reactions: F A N and LordBacon

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
all I wanted to see was the 2020 version of EP in the playoffs which is not a unreasonable ask. would have been enough to beat Edmonton in round 2. It would have been around 8 points in 7 games, which is still absolute horse shit, but enough to beat the Oilers even without Demko

I'm ok with the 8 years, but I wish they did it in the off-season instead.
Can you imagine the shit-storm here if we had waited that long? At that point people were already starting to pop off about not having him re-upped. Sure, after his no show in the post-season, we might have got him cheaper, but if we're dealing in counter-factuals, maybe he wouldn't have been injured and his price would have gone up. He got market value at the time, and if he can stay healthy, he should be good value. Having decent wingers will help too.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
I do think it’s valid to be a bit worried how he plays through injury though. You’re not winning the SC healthy. And we’re not talking ‘he was a bit off’, he was absolute trash this post season.

I’m not worried he won’t bounce back once healthy. He’s obviously an incredible player when he’s on. But he is also an incredibly frustrating player at times.

Not all injuries are equal. Playing through a sprained wrist is not the same as knee tendinitis. I haven't had either injury I just think the idea that 'Pettersson had an injury and played poorly and therefore he always performs poorly when injured' is illogical.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
The sad thing is all we talked about was needing to find star wingers to get Pettersson going when you can just throw scrubs with a legit Superstar and he instantly picks them up and carry’s them (Kunitz/Guerin/Dupois/Sheary/Armstrong/Recchi/Hornqvist/Malone etc. with Crosby).

It seems Pettersson isn’t a line driver but a good complimentary player to a superstar/line driver. He should be paid around 9.5M, his salary of a line driving superstar is way too high (Reinhart 57 goals + Cup, Guentzel incredible playoff performer, both better players than Pettersson, signed long term for 8.5M & 9M respectively).

Pettersson will reach 35 goals & 100 points this season and is a good regular season player but he will ultimately be judged on his performance in the playoffs; can he stay on his feet and not get knocked over by a breeze? Has he solved his weak legs problem and akward falling? Has he considerably improved his balance, strength & board play? Can he fight through traffic & maintain possession without falling? Can he withstand the heavy pressure of playoff checking without folding? These are all questions that will be answered starting game 1 of the playoffs, hope Pettersson is ready for the challenge this time around.

Last edited:

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
EP just flat out does not improve his linemates. Every single player that has had a significant stretch on his line, has done better away from him.

Hogs scored more on the 4th this year, Bo and Boesers highs came with JT. Millers 2 best seasons came on his own line. Garland was best on the 3rd.

Mikheyev didn't really increase his scoring from his Leafs pace, and then tanked this year. Even Kuzmenko had a better half season pace with Kadri than his rookie year.

It's hard for players to play with someone who shoots when they should pass, passes when they should shoot, doesn't really drive possession, and can't make up for slumps on the PP.

Reactions: Bertuzzzi44

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
EP just flat out does not improve his linemates. Every single player that has had a significant stretch on his line, has done better away from him.

Hogs scored more on the 4th this year, Bo and Boesers highs came with JT. Millers 2 best seasons came on his own line. Garland was best on the 3rd.

Mikheyev didn't really increase his scoring from his Leafs pace, and then tanked this year. Even Kuzmenko had a better half season pace with Kadri than his rookie year.

It's hard for players to play with someone who shoots when they should pass, passes when they should shoot, doesn't really drive possession, and can't make up for slumps on the PP.

Pettersson thinks the game at a 1st line level, not at a 3rd line level. This is his greatest strength and his biggest flaw. He doesn't play in straight lines so as to mesh with Mikheyev, Hoglander and Garland. This is what Crosby does so well. He keeps his game simple despite who he is playing with. That way, wingers know they can play the same way and it will work. Not so for Pettersson.

A winger that thinks the game at a 1st line level gets the most out of Pettersson. More east west. Playing into space. Short passes. Deception etc... This is why Toffoli would have worked with him. This is why Kuzmenko worked with him.

Throwing a bunch of good possession players against a wall may work. Heinen, Sherwood, DeBrusk etc... One of them could fit, but it's a scattershot approach to an issue that needs a laser. Cross your fingers and let's hope.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles

This is so wrong…
Mik was broken from day 1.
Miller played his best as a center.
Boeser played his best after opting out of the beauty league and hired a new fitness coach and revamped how he prepared for the season.
Kuz played really well when it was BB hockey and then he basically tanked the moment Tocchet pushed him to be more defensively responsible. No shit he is playing better in Calgary when they are playing garbage time hockey.

We never gave him proper wingers since Miller and Boeser.

Reactions: Nona Di Giuseppe

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
A winger that thinks the game at a 1st line level gets the most out of Pettersson. More east west. Playing into space. Short passes. Deception etc... This is why Toffoli would have worked with him.
Agree 100%. Pettersson’s biggest assets are his offensive awareness, deception, accurate short passes in traffic, in tight stick handling. Wingers that can play off these traits and play into space thrive with Pettersson. He performs much better with east-west wingers (Tofolli, Boeser) than north-south wingers (Virtanen, Mikheyev).

Reactions: Burnaby Schmo

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
The sad thing is all we talked about was needing to find star wingers to get Pettersson going when you can just throw scrubs with a legit Superstar and he instantly picks them up and carry’s them (Kunitz/Guerin/Dupois/Sheary/Armstrong/Recchi/Hornqvist/Malone etc. with Crosby).

It seems Pettersson isn’t a line driver but a good complimentary player to a superstar/line driver. He should be paid around 9.5M, his salary of a line driving superstar is way too high (Reinhart 57 goals + Cup, Guentzel incredible playoff performer, both better players than Pettersson, signed long term for 8.5M & 9M respectively).

Pettersson will reach 35 goals & 100 points this season and is a good regular season player but he will ultimately be judged on his performance in the playoffs; can he stay on his feet and not get knocked over by a breeze? Has he solved his weak legs problem and akward falling? Has he considerably improved his balance, strength & board play? Can he fight through traffic & maintain possession without falling? Can he withstand the heavy pressure of playoff checking without folding? These are all questions that will be answered starting game 1 of the playoffs, hope Pettersson is ready for the challenge this time around.
I get that we are all disappointed in "2nd half Petey" and his playoff performance this season, but this is just flat out wrong. Petterson is an elite player, a top 10 center when healthy. He absolutely is a line driver. No, he isn't Sidney Crosby and he can't carry a crippled Mikheyev or lazy Kuzmenko the whole season, but despite that he still scored over 100 points last season, and prior to getting injured this year was pacing well over 100 points for half a season. People forget just how absolutely dominant he was when healthy.

I hope Petey fully recover over the summer, if he does, I think he will come out red hot to start next season, and people will be back on the bandwagon again.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Hopefully Pettersson comes into camp looking like a beast! Tocchet and the strength & conditioning trainers gave Pettersson a full offseason training regime. If Pettersson can go from 6’2 176 to 6’2 182 gaining around 5-6 pounds of lean muscle and gaining about a 5% improvement in lower body/core strength & balance he’d be a much more effective player. Hoping he’s having a great strength training off season!

Last edited:

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
Hopefully Pettersson comes into camp looking like a beast! Tocchet and the strength & conditioning trainers gave Pettersson a full offseason training regime. If Pettersson can go from 6’2 176 to 6’2 182 gaining around 5-6 pounds of lean muscle and gaining about a 5% improvement in lower body/core strength & balance he’d be a much more effective player. Hoping he’s having a great strength training off season!

Oh he is jacked to get in that gym this off season :sarcasm:

giphy.gif

He'll be 26 in November and has put on like what 13-16 lbs since he was drafted???

He has strength issues and If it hasn't come by now then it never will. This is who he is.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I think even giving him players that think the game like Alex Burrows or Brendan Morrison would get the most of him, personally.

I think that’s where Guentzel would have been great. Petey seems to want to do a lot of little give and go and subtle plays to gain space that a lot of his wingers don’t seem to be able to recognize or get the puck back where he wants it.

Reactions: Bleach Clean

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
They were talking about Pettersson on canucks talk, how Debrusk might not be the obvious fit with him.

Suggested:

DeBrusk - Miller - Boeser
Joshua - Pettersson - Garland
Heinen - Suter - Sherwood
Or Hogz on the third etc.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
He had a knee tendinitis for ~4months.

I agree thst its not likely to hinder his career but it absolutely explains his slump.

As someone with knee tendinitis myself, I can say, it's a subtle, but certainly present hinderance for me just playing disc golf! I couldn't imagine it playing hockey.

Doc's say I can get over it at 40 so I'm sure Petey can get through it.

Orr4Norris

Mar 2, 2018
As someone with knee tendinitis myself, I can say, it's a subtle, but certainly present hinderance for me just playing disc golf! I couldn't imagine it playing hockey.

Doc's say I can get over it at 40 so I'm sure Petey can get through it.
Can you imagine playing hockey with broken ribs and a broken finger at the same time? NHLers play with what would be debilitating injuries for a normal person in the post season all the time. It’s a requirement for hosting a SC.

I have no doubt he’ll be much better when he’s 100% healthy. I think the question is becoming can he play through the pain that is inevitable during a full season and postseason. Sometimes he seems like someone who can only play well when everything is going his way. When it’s not, he completely falls off the rails. He’s still young, but it’s a bit concerning at this point.

Reactions: Regal

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
hmm, i’m envisioning a fourth line from hell with hoglander and sherwood together

but let’s see whether that’s feasible without leaving huge gaps elsewhere

suter miller boeser
heinen petey debrusk
joshua blueger garland
hoglander aman sherwood
podkolzin

or

heinen miller boeser
joshua petey debrusk
podkolzin blueger garland
hoglander suter/aman sherwood

or

heinen miller boeser
podkolzin petey debrusk
joshua suter garland
hoglander blueger sherwood
podkolzin

or

heinen miller debrusk
joshua petey boeser
podkolzin blueger garland
hoglander suter/aman sherwood

could work... but it looks a lot better if podkolzin becomes something

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Not all injuries are equal. Playing through a sprained wrist is not the same as knee tendinitis. I haven't had either injury I just think the idea that 'Pettersson had an injury and played poorly and therefore he always performs poorly when injured' is illogical.

I don't think there's anything fundamentally wrong with what both of you are saying here. The ability of a player to play through injury is kind of an underrated important trait.

Beating a dead pony... if Petey had knee tendinitis... why wasn't he rested? Petey says his knee issues started in January. He signed his contract on March 3rd. The only thing at play was the divisional crown/playoff seeding.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
I don't think there's anything fundamentally wrong with what both of you are saying here. The ability of a player to play through injury is kind of an underrated important trait.

Beating a dead pony... if Petey had knee tendinitis... why wasn't he rested? Petey says his knee issues started in January. He signed his contract on March 3rd. The only thing at play was the divisional crown/playoff seeding.

My understanding of the injury is that it gets progressively worse if it isn't rested and rehabbed. My thinking is it started as a nagging injury for Pettersson and by the time the injury became brutally hindering it was too late to start the rest process. Either way I think Pettersson will learn his limitations for injuries moving forward based on how he went forward with the knee.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

I know others have suggested that it’s not going to heal with a short rest, but I still don’t see how maintenance wasn’t a better option even if it wasn’t going to fully heal. I’ve had knee tendinitis (and elbow and achilles multiple times), and played through sports seasons with them, and rest days always help when it’s really bad. Maybe he was worried about the contract but after it was signed, they could have easily sat him games here and there, including the last regular season game where others got a rest.

Reactions: F A N

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad