Player Discussion Elias Lindholm

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Feb 25, 2016
The reason why I'm concerned with Lindholms age isn't about his beginning, it's about his middle to end. He's 29 for 2 months of the 24-25 season. So, for the technically minded, sure he's 29. He'll be 30 for 2 months starting his second year at 36 for only 2 months of his final year.

I don't have a crystal ball, but from the decades I've watched hockey, players regress in body and mind. It's a lot of cap space for maybe 2-3 years of peak performance. Outliers excluded. Let's hope the other pieces come together and there's enough balance to bring the Bruins a string of cups.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kalus and LSCII

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
The reason why I'm concerned with Lindholms age isn't about his beginning, it's about his middle to end. He's 29 for 2 months of the 24-25 season. So, for the technically minded, sure he's 29. He'll be 30 for 2 months starting his second year at 36 for only 2 months of his final year.

I don't have a crystal ball, but from the decades I've been watched hockey, players not only regress in body but in mind too. It's a lot of cap space for maybe 2-3 years of peak performance. Outliers excluded. Let's hope the other pieces come together and there's enough balance to bring the Bruins a string of cups.

He's been extremely healthy his entire career, played closed to 20mins on average a night - all situations.

With time everyone will start to get slower...but I don't think this will be that huge of a problem. In 2 or 3 years, Coyle could be gone and Poitras could become our #1. While he'll be making a lot, he should still be a very serviceable 2nd line center.

We wouldn't of gotten him on a 3-4 year deal. I'm happy to finally have another legit 1C.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine

I don't have a crystal ball, but from the decades I've been watched hockey, players not only regress in body but in mind too. It's a lot of cap space for maybe 2-3 years of peak performance. Outliers excluded. Let's hope the other pieces come together and there's enough balance to bring the Bruins a string of cups.

This is the closest we can ever come to getting a time machine and getting a 29 year old Bergeron on the team. Selke caliber center who can win faceoffs and do everything for your team who's been healthy his entire career - I wouldn't worry about this, especially when future cap ceilings will most likely be on the rise.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
sure gonna be nice having a RH shot in the bumper on the PP again, I know Poitras is a righty but I`m wondering if his passing skills more valuable on the PP, not sure I saw enough of him as far as playing a bumper role

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa
This is the closest we can ever come to getting a time machine and getting a 29 year old Bergeron on the team. Selke caliber center who can win faceoffs and do everything for your team who's been healthy his entire career - I wouldn't worry about this, especially when future cap ceilings will most likely be on the rise.
That’s huge shoes to fill. I think expectations for him may be a little out of line.

Reactions: drkfluff

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
He's been extremely healthy his entire career, played closed to 20mins on average a night - all situations.

With time everyone will start to get slower...but I don't think this will be that huge of a problem. In 2 or 3 years, Coyle could be gone and Poitras could become our #1. While he'll be making a lot, he should still be a very serviceable 2nd line center.

We wouldn't of gotten him on a 3-4 year deal. I'm happy to finally have another legit 1C.
Yup - have to give somewhere. Top C's are rarely on the market and they're tough to develop. I'm not worried about the first 3-4 years, his two-way "smarts" style typically ages well and even if/when the speed and offense dips, they're still impactful.

Need to put together a few runs while McAvoy/Pasta are in their primes, we have core players locked up, and Marchand is still around. If the last 2-3 years are a bit painful, not the end of the world as it's a possibility we'll be re-tooling/rebuilding. Who knows how much the cap will increase by then, too.

Concessionaire

That could have gone better.
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2003
New Orleans
It basically came down to the fact that the team couldn't afford to waste a year (or two) of Pasta by pairing him with lesser talent at center, in the hopes that the ideal center may become available in the future.

For this lineup the time is now, and Lindholm was the best option available.

As for cost and term, I kinda don't care. Pasta needs a center, and he needs a center NOW.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
What age was your cutoff for “no team has won a Cup with their top 2 Cs over ___ years old”?

Detroit won it ‘02 when Fedorov was 31 and Yzerman was 36. They also won in ‘98 when Larionov was 36 and Yzerman was 32. That’s the oldest top two to win in 50+ years.

So they need Poitras to unseat Coyle at some point in the next 2-3 years, which I think is a reasonable expectation.

Ideally he gets 25/60 pts

Plays very sound Bergy game

And Poitras is a year older and stronger and added even 1/2 step quickness

EL
Poitras
CC

That’s a nice group
I think he gets 70 playing with 18 & 88.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household

Detroit won it ‘02 when Fedorov was 31 and Yzerman was 36. They also won in ‘98 when Larionov was 36 and Yzerman was 32. That’s the oldest top two to win in 50+ years.

So they need Poitras to unseat Coyle at some point in the next 2-3 years, which I think is a reasonable expectation.
Yup. Sounds reasonable. I was wondering how long we had by your research.

Hell by that time, we may have a Dean Letourneau :naughty:

I’m a big believer in Poitras though… and while it goes against the grain, I see Coyle as a perfectly viable 2C. I feel set at center for a while.

Provided of course, that Elias Lindholm holds his end of the bargain.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
Yup. Sounds reasonable. I was wondering how long we had by your research.

Hell by that time, we may have a Dean Letourneau :naughty:

I’m a big believer in Poitras though… and while it goes against the grain, I see Coyle as a perfectly viable 2C. I feel set at center for a while.

Provided of course, that Elias Lindholm holds his end of the bargain.

Agree 100%. I am happy with Coyle at 2c for the time being and think that line is one dynamic RW away from being a great 2nd line.

I'm a big believer in Poitras too. He looks great at development camp and it's going to be fun watching him develop into a core player.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
ok im fine with the term and AAV but oof.

So for those wondering, if they bought him out after year 5, they would save $5m per year over each of the last two years, and then have a cap hit of $2.5 per year for the next two years.

So it’s not one of those buyout proof contracts where you don’t save any money. They can get out of the contract if things go horribly wrong. That should give the folks who are annxious over the term some peace of mind.

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
In reality it’s not the dollar but the term fhat will be the issue. That’s the cost of blowing high draft picks and using them to offload bad contracts. It’s now the price of dojng business. Still better than rolling into the season with Zacha as your 1C though.

100%

Can't stand the talking heads that say this is an overpay. "He only had 44 pts last year. They could have got him on a "show me" contract." Hogwash. Someone was going to pay the man. He average almost 70pts a season between Calgary and Vancouver and would have had he not had a down year in 23-24 with injuries. Guy was a beast in the playoffs is tried to will the Canucks through to the next round.

When you look at the comps for both players in cap hit and cap %. They fall right in where you'd expect players of that caliber to land. Does the extra year for both of them hurt? Maybe, but as LSCIII said, when you go to market to get guys versus growing them in system, it's the price you pay.

In the end, this lineup is far better than last years.

Only complaint I have is Korpisalo's contract and term at this point. The rest, I will give Sweeney his flowers.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
Ideally he gets 25/60 pts

Plays very sound Bergy game

And Poitras is a year older and stronger and added even 1/2 step quickness

EL
Poitras
CC

That’s a nice group
For a guy who averaged 21 goals / 55 points on over 800 NHL games to put in a 25/60 year at age 30 would really be something. Let’s hope.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
So for those wondering, if they bought him out after year 5, they would save $5m per year over each of the last two years, and then have a cap hit of $2.5 per year for the next two years.

So it’s not one of those buyout proof contracts where you don’t save any money. They can get out of the contract if things go horribly wrong. That should give the folks who are annxious over the term some peace of mind.

Except if they're buying him out that means he isn't playing well at all and the contract is already a disaster.

It's good they have that kind of "out" so they're not crippled, for sure, but if it comes to that they have far bigger problems anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad