Dreger: Elias Lindholm will get 8M+ per year through free agency

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
He played well in the playoffs but I’m not sure he’s an 8 million player now let alone in a long term deal into his 30s. I’m still betting he goes to Boston.

Reactions: japurple01 and BHD

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I’ll guess Columbus goes hard after him which drives him to 8M AAV that he gets from Boston.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
We've been in a stagnant cap for a long time, but historically, free agency day was full of massive contracts with surprising caphits.

Not sure Lindholm will actually get 8M, but I do think GMs finally have some $$ to play with and this offseason's contracts will look quite different from the past few years.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
I think he's a $6M player so $8M would be quite an overpayment.

A team like Montreal should explore adding him though.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yup, with the cap starting to open up again there will be some rally dumb UFA signings

At the end of the day, 50% of revenue goes to the players so if the cap rises, salaries rise as well. The problem is some cash in at the right time and them become complacent after they get their guaranteed money. I wish there was more base contracts (min amounts) and then the extra is paid through performance. Only stars like McDavid should get the full guaranteed amounts.

Apply this to Lindholm, he should be paid a min of $4M - $5M range and if he has a very good season, he could earn another $3M for that season. If he doesn't have a good season, he still gets paid but not the full amount. Others who produce get the money.

Not easy to figure out but they did figure out the escrow which is genius. Where there is a will, there is a way. Just don't touch the 50/50 revenue split between the owners and players. Just needs a better distribution on the 50% with the player so the greedy ones don't make others suffer from it.

Reactions: Bond

Bond

May 10, 2012
At the end of the day, 50% of revenue goes to the players so if the cap rises, salaries rise as well. The problem is some cash in at the right time and them become complacent after they get their guaranteed money. I wish there was more base contracts (min amounts) and then the extra is paid through performance. Only stars like McDavid should get the full guaranteed amounts.

Apply this to Lindholm, he should be paid a min of $4M - $5M range and if he has a very good season, he could earn another $3M for that season. If he doesn't have a good season, he still gets paid but not the full amount. Others who produce get the money.

Not easy to figure out but they did figure out the escrow which is genius. Where there is a will, there is a way. Just don't touch the 50/50 revenue split between the owners and players. Just needs a better distribution on the 50% with the player so the greedy ones don't make others suffer from it.
Yeah, players would never agree so there isn’t much will. I’d be fine if the Flames never signed another free agent for a long term contract again. They don’t get good ones anyways lol

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Any team that gives him 8m is going to regret it lol

He's at most a 2nd line center on the decline
Remember what I told you? 8m+. If you have a surface level understanding of hockey you don't understand how important a hard minutes center is. Name a team that has won a cup without one in the last 50 years.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
He is the best available UFA centre during the first free agency period the cap has gone up significantly in years. Yeah he is going to get overpaid.
8M wouldn’t surprise me though I think that is a contract both sides would grow to hate.

Ledge And Dairy

It's true but it just goes to show how players point totals get bumped up with talent around them. It's exactly the Leafs problem with their bloated contracts. Playing together helps each other and they all went after maxed deals. Poor Nylander had to take much less because the others signed before him. Now that is going to back fire on Marner because Nylander produced and got his deal.

Marner would drown without that top 6 talent around him. Probably puts up similar points to what Gaudreau did with the Jackets.

Playing D against Marner when you know he has Matthews to pass too is much different than without Matthews. Marners shot is not that impressive and when you know he lacks options, you can just close his space better. Good talents yes.

We agree on Lindholm. Can look very good when he has talent around him. A decent top 2C but he's not a line driver.
Want to correct you that Nylander signed his first deal before Matthews and Marner. Dubas then caved on the Matthews deal not giving him max term and Marner proceeded to just roll over him in negotiations, when in reality they should have at least been able to get him signed around the same mark as Rantanen.

Lindholm is definitely not a primary play driver but he does a lot of little things that open up space for players who can drive play on his line (ie Gaudreau). He very often plays like a 3rd defenseman causing turnovers for breakouts and is usually the trailer on rush plays. I could absolutely see Columbus paying him this kind of deal

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
If it's a shorter 3-4 term, I can see some teams giving him 8M. If he's hoping for full term then whoever inks that deal will regret it.

Lindholm was terrific on just about everything except offense, where he was still decent just not outstanding. His strengths in particular were on the PK, defensive zone and surprisingly along the boards. He won't wow you with a big hit but his puck possession will.

sensfan4lifee

May 21, 2024
Remember what I told you? 8m+. If you have a surface level understanding of hockey you don't understand how important a hard minutes center is. Name a team that has won a cup without one in the last 50 years.
No matter what you say to justify you're argument I its doesn't make up for the fact he is on the decline, saying I don't understand hockey is just not true, I understand very well that certain teams will always over pay a player based on past performance rather than what the actual player is now. You can post analytics, talk about hard minutes all you like, it still wont change the fact that any team who pays Lindholm 8 million will regret it.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Bo Horvat signed 8X8.5 one year younger than Lindholm. They seem like similar caliber players to me.

Yes and no.

Lindholm is less offensive minded but significantly better defensively. If you're looking to deploy a more balanced or shutdown second line with a potential offensive punch here or there, Lindholm's your guy. If you want a more dynamic second line that can score but might get caught on a 2on1 or need a more defensive winger to cover, then you want Horvat.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
Lindholm is definitely not a primary play driver but he does a lot of little things that open up space for players who can drive play on his line (ie Gaudreau). He very often plays like a 3rd defenseman causing turnovers for breakouts and is usually the trailer on rush plays. I could absolutely see Columbus paying him this kind of deal
Maybe, but I don't think so. What made that line so successful wasn't Lindholm banging home Johnny's assists, it was Tkachuk. Columbus doesn't have a Tkachuk*, and they know it. With like ten RFA's to sign and a brand new new GM, I will be shocked if the Jackets make any moves in free agency. Lindholm might get paid, but it'll be a more desperate win-now team than the Jackets who bites the bullet. Boston, probably.

* edited to add - unless they make a trade involving the 4OA and other parts to get the other one from Ottawa. Then we're having a very different conversation.

Reactions: CBJx614

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Seems like a guy Boston would pay too much, for too long, and cross their fingers in hopes he can hold the top line together in the playoffs

Ledge And Dairy

Maybe, but I don't think so. What made that line so successful wasn't Lindholm banging home Johnny's assists, it was Tkachuk. Columbus doesn't have a Tkachuk*, and they know it. With like ten RFA's to sign and a brand new new GM, I will be shocked if the Jackets make any moves in free agency. Lindholm might get paid, but it'll be a more desperate win-now team than the Jackets who bites the bullet. Boston, probably.

* edited to add - unless they make a trade involving the 4OA and other parts to get the other one from Ottawa. Then we're having a very different conversation.
Yes all 3 played a huge part but Lindholm had far more chemistry with Gaudreau than he did with Tkachuk.

I think Boston will absolutely be interested but I would be shocked if Columbus doesn't try to push out of their rebuild here

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad