Player Discussion: Ehlers

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I think Nik Ehlers trade will be similar to the return the Wild got for Kevin Fiala (Brock Faber and 1st round pick). Hopefully we can get a defensemen like the kid the Wild got!

f*** did the Wild pull off a miracle on that one. We should be so lucky. I really like Fiala but the Wild got back a high end RHD just starting his career.

I don’t see the Jets trading for futures with both McG and Ehlers though.

Last edited:

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Injury history?
Partly. The reality for me is that Chabot is not worth his 8M cap hit and he's also not playing a position we desperately need, and even if LHD was a need, his playstyle isn't one we need at this time either.

He's an offensive LHD that plays poor defense. His contract is bad value IMO. And if the Jets are using one of their 2 most valuable trade chips at the moment (Ehlers or McGroarty) on something, we should be targeting things we need. C's, RHDs that can play defense, and or picks and prospects that can either be used, or used as currency to get what we need.

It's also why I don't understand any of our writers also throwing Chychrun out there in regards to Ehlers. If we move Ehlers, we need to do it to hopefully improve or solve a problem. Chychrun only has 1 year left like Ehlers so we're in the same boat. He's also a lefty but can play on the right, but he's also bad defensively. And we currently have Pionk and Schmidts contracts. It just doesn't make sense to me to use your valuable trade chips to not try to potentially improve holes on the team.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Partly. The reality for me is that Chabot is not worth his 8M cap hit and he's also not playing a position we desperately need, and even if LHD was a need, his playstyle isn't one we need at this time either.

He's an offensive LHD that plays poor defense. His contract is bad value IMO. And if the Jets are using one of their 2 most valuable trade chips at the moment (Ehlers or McGroarty) on something, we should be targeting things we need. C's, RHDs that can play defense, and or picks and prospects that can either be used, or used as currency to get what we need.

It's also why I don't understand any of our writers also throwing Chychrun out there in regards to Ehlers. If we move Ehlers, we need to do it to hopefully improve or solve a problem. Chychrun only has 1 year left like Ehlers so we're in the same boat. He's also a lefty but can play on the right, but he's also bad defensively. And we currently have Pionk and Schmidts contracts. It just doesn't make sense to me to use your valuable trade chips to not try to potentially improve holes on the team.

Interesting. I never pegged him as bad defensively. He's not amazing by any means but I'd say he's atleast average. I think we defitely could use a high end dmen to anchor our second pairing.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Hasn't been good in the playoffs, trade him. Who else hasn't been good in the playoffs? Trade them too.
Him and Helle have been offenders #1 and #2 of garbage recent playoff performance compared to their regular season standards.

Bu bu but the entire team sucked.... No one has a had a drop off as hard as these two, who commonly play above the quality of the team or linemates in the regular season.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Ehlers is a great regular season forward. His speed and skill makes defenders have to back off, enabling zone entries with puck possession. He has a great shot. He makes great head's up passes. His highlight reel goals are fun to watch. And he draws a lot of penalties.

He disappears in the postseason. We all wanted that to change, it doesn't. He makes great head's up passes, but also spectacularly bad no look passes / drop passes / passes to some imaginary friend that end up going the other way. Next to the pair of Zamboni's, nothing has cleaned more ice in the Canada Life Centre than Nik Ehler's Jets jerseys. It is hard for a lot of linemates to play with Ehlers because, frankly, no one but him has any idea what he is doing or what he will do when he has the puck.

I don't know how the Jets would replace Ehlers. It is very difficult to find and replace the positive aspects of his game in another single player. At the same time if this team wants to win post season hockey, a guy like Nik doesn't help a lot.

IDK what they are going to do. I would understand if they keep him. I would understand if they move him.

Reactions: Daximus and GJF

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Hasn't been good in the playoffs, trade him. Who else hasn't been good in the playoffs? Trade them too.

That would be the most of the team. I’m not joking, collectively we have been a disaster in the playoffs with this core. Not trying to make excuses for Nik in the playoffs. He hasn’t been good enough but it’s a much bigger issue than Nik.

Reactions: hn777

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
That would be the most of the team. I’m not joking, collectively we have been a disaster in the playoffs with this core. Not trying to make excuses for Nik in the playoffs. He hasn’t been good enough but it’s a much bigger issue than Nik.

I think we just need some accountability. Nik has underperformed pretty much his entire playoff career while pretty much everyone else has had at least 1 decent run. Most of them came at the same time in 2018 but still. Nik is just not built for the playoffs.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I think we just need some accountability. Nik has underperformed pretty much his entire playoff career while pretty much everyone else has had at least 1 decent run. Most of them came at the same time in 2018 but still. Nik is just not built for the playoffs.

I don’t think TNSE are big on accountability. IF Nik goes it will be because he wants a change or at least that is my belief. Like Maurice before him, we’re going to need Nik to break up with us. :laugh:

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I don’t think TNSE are big on accountability. IF Nik goes it will be because he wants a change or at least that is my belief. Like Maurice before him, we’re going to need Nik to break up with us. :laugh:

And Laine before him and Trouba before him and Kane before him.

We really are completely averse to letting go of guys.

• Haha
Reactions: ps241

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad