Confirmed with Link: Egor Zamula Signs Two Year Contract - $1.7M AAV

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Good luck with that, nobody wants that contract. They made their own bed paying through the nose to get him and then decided to pay him like an established top-4 D while he keeps playing more like a 5-7.
Barring a drastic turnaround, Risto is a pay out candidate.
He's already made that turnaround under Shaw, now a plus defensive defenseman.
Problem is he has to show he's healthy, but big mobile RHD who can play defense are objects of lust every year around the TDL.
Flyers might have to take a bad contract back to close the deal.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The abysmal prospect pool not only shows their Flyers' poor drafting but also their poor development. Which of the young players have progressed in their time under the training of the Phantoms' staff?
York, Zamula, Ginning, Attard, Foerster, Frost. Brink, Lycksell.
Now you can only do so much, but 2 years ago no one would have thought Ginning wouldn't embarrass himself if he ever played in the NHL.
Attard was clueless defensively when he first arrived.
Zamula has developed into a solid NHL D-man
York was up and down, then after a couple AHL stints became a top 4 D-man
Frost was a liability defensively, learned to play better fundamental hockey in the AHL.
Foerster was a shot first prospect with meh defense, after a year of coaching became elite defender
Brink needed time in the AHL to adjust to faster, more physical game.
Lycksell stepped up his game in the AHL and will compete for a spot this fall.
Tuomaala took his game up a level in the AHL last season.

Andrae didn't make a big jump last year, but he had only played 92 SHL games and had to adjust to NA.

Now a few have disappointed, Wisdom went from promising to afterthought, Desnoyers had a breakout season then couldn't follow up (partially due to drop in Sh%, but also didn't build on his success).
Grans hasn't taken a step up.

Guys like Avon, Samson, Gendron too early to know.

Reactions: BernieParent

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
York, Zamula, Ginning, Attard, Foerster, Frost. Brink, Lycksell.
Now you can only do so much, but 2 years ago no one would have thought Ginning wouldn't embarrass himself if he ever played in the NHL.
Attard was clueless defensively when he first arrived.
Zamula has developed into a solid NHL D-man
York was up and down, then after a couple AHL stints became a top 4 D-man
Frost was a liability defensively, learned to play better fundamental hockey in the AHL.
Foerster was a shot first prospect with meh defense, after a year of coaching became elite defender
Brink needed time in the AHL to adjust to faster, more physical game.
Lycksell stepped up his game in the AHL and will compete for a spot this fall.
Tuomaala took his game up a level in the AHL last season.

Andrae didn't make a big jump last year, but he had only played 92 SHL games and had to adjust to NA.

Now a few have disappointed, Wisdom went from promising to afterthought, Desnoyers had a breakout season then couldn't follow up (partially due to drop in Sh%, but also didn't build on his success).
Grans hasn't taken a step up.

Guys like Avon, Samson, Gendron too early to know.
Thanks for your reply, dead, but please excuse me if I don't feel a lot of enthusiasm for this list of apparent improvements via the AHL coaching.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Thanks for your reply, dead, but please excuse me if I don't feel a lot of enthusiasm for this list of apparent improvements via the AHL coaching.
Well, you can't expect miracles, few players jump from marginal prospect to top 6/top 4 starter.

And the guys you develop in the AHL tend to be marginal prospects, b/c your top guys tend to spend no more than say a half season if that (TK, Farabee, Michkov, go directly to NHL, do not collect your $200 . . .), acclimating to pro hockey, before making the NHL.

What you want from your AHL development process is a steady stream of cheap bottom 6/3rd pair guys, and maybe jump start a few high picks that falter on the road to success.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Well, you can't expect miracles, few players jump from marginal prospect to top 6/top 4 starter.

And the guys you develop in the AHL tend to be marginal prospects, b/c your top guys tend to spend no more than say a half season if that (TK, Farabee, Michkov, go directly to NHL, do not collect your $200 . . .), acclimating to pro hockey, before making the NHL.

What you want from your AHL development process is a steady stream of cheap bottom 6/3rd pair guys, and maybe jump start a few high picks that falter on the road to success.
Sorry, dead, but it is silly and self-defeating to see such a rigid two-tiered process. An NHL franchise that uses their AHL affiliate as merely a punishment and a bottom-roster meat grinder is abdicating their strongest developmental opportunity. And the Flyers even fail on your criteria; they go out and sign their bottom 6 / 3rd pair guys and leave their prospects to while away their ELCs in a less-than-mediocre Phantoms roster.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Sorry, dead, but it is silly and self-defeating to see such a rigid two-tiered process. An NHL franchise that uses their AHL affiliate as merely a punishment and a bottom-roster meat grinder is abdicating their strongest developmental opportunity. And the Flyers even fail on your criteria; they go out and sign their bottom 6 / 3rd pair guys and leave their prospects to while away their ELCs in a less-than-mediocre Phantoms roster.
It's not self-defeating, it's self-selection.
High draft picks are high b/c they combine both talent and they're close to NHL ready.
As you go down the draft, you have either less talented and/or less ready (higher risk) players.

Obviously, if a player is only a year or two from the NHL they're not spending a lot of time in the AHL, if any.
It's the player who lack fundamentals and/or have to learn to compensate for weaknesses, that need extensive time in the AHL.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Don't think you save much if any money replacing EJ as the 7th D-man, and not much point having Ginning/Attard in that role. The top six is set, if there's a long-term injury that's when you promote someone from the AHL.

Belpedio is smaller and slower than Seeler, he's an AHL plus player. And he's a RHD, Seeler LHD. He's fine in his role as a mentor to young D-men in LHV and an emergency call-up.

Desnoyers has to step up, 2 years ago he has 23 goals, if he had built on that he'd be on the Flyers bottom six this season. Still only 22, so time to turn it around.
The same was said about Seeler. His skating was fine. Again, the point is you find out as that is what rebuilding teams do. Or do you disagree?

Desnoyers was just a random example. He and every player in LHV will never dominate enough to show they are too good for the league which was what you said you need to see.

Never been a fan of Desnoyer and do not think he will be an NHL player on a consistent basis.

He's already made that turnaround under Shaw, now a plus defensive defenseman.
Problem is he has to show he's healthy, but big mobile RHD who can play defense are objects of lust every year around the TDL.
Flyers might have to take a bad contract back to close the deal.
Defend until the end. Risto is nothing but an average bottom pair guy. He will not be in any kind of demand. Last year of his contract with 50% retention you get a 5th rd pick hopefully.

Will he ever play in a playoff game.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
It's not self-defeating, it's self-selection.
High draft picks are high b/c they combine both talent and they're close to NHL ready.
As you go down the draft, you have either less talented and/or less ready (higher risk) players.

Obviously, if a player is only a year or two from the NHL they're not spending a lot of time in the AHL, if any.
It's the player who lack fundamentals and/or have to learn to compensate for weaknesses, that need extensive time in the AHL.

And yet nobody learns anything down there. So it isn't working.

Reactions: Larry44 and renberg

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
You're forgetting Ghost. Cleary wasn't ready for the NHL, but after just 14 games with the Phantoms went on to put up a historic rookie season. Obviously his time in the A was the only possible reason for this sudden change.
He blew out his knee.
Could have used a full season in the AHL to work on his defense, didn't need much coaching to play offense.

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
And why was he called up? I honestly don't remember, but I'm pretty sure it was because of an injury, not because of dominating the A.

It feels like the only time a player on the Phantoms earns a spot is because there is an injury on the Flyers, fill in and then they can't justify sending him back down.

I can't recall the last time I saw a player get the call based solely on their play on the Phantoms and bump a veteran out.

Chicken N Raffls

Here for the chaos and lolz
Nov 7, 2022
Douglassville
It feels like the only time a player on the Phantoms earns a spot is because there is an injury on the Flyers, fill in and then they can't justify sending him back down.

I can't recall the last time I saw a player get the call based solely on their play on the Phantoms and bump a veteran out.
It's what cracks me up about the whole argument. Every year it's "X player will be up by January" or whatever, but you're right. I can't think of a single time. I suppose with as much as Frost got yo-yoed maybe one of the times there wasn't an injury. Maybe Laughton? Too far back for me to remember.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Whatever issues they had in the past, the callups the last couple years have looked NHL ready.
Ginning and Attard played well in a sheltered role, as did Lycksell.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Too bad wont get a chance to find out if they are legit NHL players.
This is the problem with signing old used up veterans and labeling them to be back of the rotation defensemen. Guys such as Attard and Ginning never get a shot. I have no delusions that they are third pairing guys but that's fine.
Perhaps with some NHL experience these types of players might be able to step up into a second pair role in an emergency. It would allow the organization to stay away from end of their career players who will drag the team down. (If you think that these vets are ragged in September, wait until you see their play in March)
However when the club has a coach who is trying to save his career with wins no matter what, the vet gets the nod over the rookie. No Noah bangs a round peg into a square hole better than Torts.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
This is the problem with signing old used up veterans and labeling them to be back of the rotation defensemen. Guys such as Attard and Ginning never get a shot. I have no delusions that they are third pairing guys but that's fine.
Perhaps with some NHL experience these types of players might be able to step up into a second pair role in an emergency. It would allow the organization to stay away from end of their career players who will drag the team down. (If you think that these vets are ragged in September, wait until you see their play in March)
However when the club has a coach who is trying to save his career with wins no matter what, the vet gets the nod over the rookie. No Noah bangs a round peg into a square hole better than Torts.
Pretty much.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I'm not losing sleep on Ginning.
Shaw has seen enough of Attard to know if he's in their future plans.

Next year Bonk and Sotheran will be in LHV, so Attard's window is short, it's possible by 2026 Risto and Attard will both be gone.

And they're almost certain to draft at least one D-man in the 2025 draft, they won't look at wingers unless they're clearly BPA, so I expect a run on centers and LHD for them.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I'm not losing sleep on Ginning.
Shaw has seen enough of Attard to know if he's in their future plans.

Next year Bonk and Sotheran will be in LHV, so Attard's window is short, it's possible by 2026 Risto and Attard will both be gone.

And they're almost certain to draft at least one D-man in the 2025 draft, they won't look at wingers unless they're clearly BPA, so I expect a run on centers and LHD for them.

That's not Shaw's call to make.

You also never lose sleep on any mistakes the team makes, insisting everything is fine. And yet, the results.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
That's not Shaw's call to make.

You also never lose sleep on any mistakes the team makes, insisting everything is fine. And yet, the results.
I think they are coming to defer to Shaw the way Howie defers to Stoutland.

If Shaw tells them he thinks he can mold Attard into a solid 3RHD, maybe a 2RHD, he'd be in their future plans. If he tells them Attard lacks the hockey IQ to progress much further . . .

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I think they are coming to defer to Shaw the way Howie defers to Stoutland.

If Shaw tells them he thinks he can mold Attard into a solid 3RHD, maybe a 2RHD, he'd be in their future plans. If he tells them Attard lacks the hockey IQ to progress much further . . .

Conveniently shuffling blame for not playing youth in favor of rotting slobs away from your new golden calves to an assistant coach who doesn't set the roster or make roster decisions.

You have no reason to think this. You simply want to, because when the inevitable happens you can blame someone besides Tortorella and Briere.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1