Confirmed with Link: Egor Zamula Signs Two Year Contract - $1.7M AAV

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
No room at the inn.

Drysdale is getting a shot at 2RHD, Risto will be showcased at 3RHD (and he's better than Attard, much better skater and Shaw has taught him how to play defense).

Attard is odd man out, maybe gets a shot next year, but with Bonk and Sotheran in LHV, and we'll see how Samson (21) and Grans (22) develop this year.
Showcased. Come on man every GM knows what Risto is about and what he can offer. No team is touching him with that contract. Maybe with 50% retention you get the Kevin Hayes deal.

Attard isn't getting a shot in any year unless major injuries and by default. Grans stinks. He was a guy the GM acquired. A guy the GM said he didn't know or ever seen play.

I can see keeping Seeler up to a point. Term is too long but do be it. He could fill the role of the older vet that the FO wants.
EJ however is a useless retention done to satisfy a coach that just can’t trust young players. He’s not going to play better than Zamula, Attard or possibly Andrae. Makes one wonder who needs the security blanket, the players or the coach
You trade Seeler then find the next Seeler in free agency on a 1 year deal. This is a very simple concept.

Coach needs it no doubt.

We're talking a late 3rd rd pick, if he's a 3RHD that's a "hit."
If Risto was moveable I think Attard would have a year or two to replace him and prove he belongs.
But they need to play Risto if they want to move him next summer.
Yet you hype up Samson and Sotheran.

Reactions: BernieParent

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Showcased. Come on man every GM knows what Risto is about and what he can offer. No team is touching him with that contract. Maybe with 50% retention you get the Kevin Hayes deal.

Attard isn't getting a shot in any year unless major injuries and by default. Grans stinks. He was a guy the GM acquired. A guy the GM said he didn't know or ever seen play.

You trade Seeler then find the next Seeler in free agency on a 1 year deal. This is a very simple concept.

Coach needs it no doubt.

Yet you hype up Samson and Sotheran.
I don't hype up Samson, he's 21, didn't show much in the AHL at 20, but late birthday made him young for that league. We'll see if he takes a jump.

Sotheran "hypes" himself, big jump in D+1, capped off by being one of the best D-men in the CHL playoffs, now invited to Canada's summer WJC-20 team.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
I don't hype up Samson, he's 21, didn't show much in the AHL at 20, but late birthday made him young for that league. We'll see if he takes a jump.

Sotheran "hypes" himself, big jump in D+1, capped off by being one of the best D-men in the CHL playoffs, now invited to Canada's summer WJC-20 team.
Then why even mention longshots like him when you factor in the future?

The point was you mentioned Attard as late 3rd rd pick like it was nothing. Yet yo mention 2 much later picks.

I like Sotheran and said as much when he was drafted. If he pans out great. I just don't put much stock in the Flyers drafting and development when you combine them together.

What are your thoughts on Devin Kaplan?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Then why even mention longshots like him when you factor in the future?

The point was you mentioned Attard as late 3rd rd pick like it was nothing. Yet yo mention 2 much later picks.

I like Sotheran and said as much when he was drafted. If he pans out great. I just don't put much stock in the Flyers drafting and development when you combine them together.

What are your thoughts on Devin Kaplan?
Kaplan has flatlined in college so far.
Yes, BU has a loaded lineup, but he was 7th in forward scoring as a sophomore.

So far Bump and Knuble have outplayed him, but none are NHL ready right now.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Kaplan has flatlined in college so far.
Yes, BU has a loaded lineup, but he was 7th in forward scoring as a sophomore.

So far Bump and Knuble have outplayed him, but none are NHL ready right now.
Yes he has and the Flyers have soured on him somewhat He doesn't show improvement he will not be signed.

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
Zamula is here cause he needs to help Mitchkov. I dont see them hold onto him without the russian way the last 3 years. And i like Zamula. But the way they tread Attard and Andrae shows me how they view solid young prospects! They want Staal and Johnson and not Zamula. But Mitchkov brings another factor in the whole scene!

Reactions: Larry44

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002
Zamula is here cause he needs to help Mitchkov. I dont see them hold onto him without the russian way the last 3 years. And i like Zamula. But the way they tread Attard and Andrae shows me how they view solid young prospects! They want Staal and Johnson and not Zamula. But Mitchkov brings another factor in the whole scene!
Zamula is really good, way better than Seeler long term. There was no need to bring Johnson back. Sanheim and Risto are vets too. Let the kids play. Rotate Attard, Andrae, Grans, Ginning through the bottom pair. Find out what you have to make room for the ones coming up in the next couple years.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Zamula is really good, way better than Seeler long term. There was no need to bring Johnson back. Sanheim and Risto are vets too. Let the kids play. Rotate Attard, Andrae, Grans, Ginning through the bottom pair. Find out what you have to make room for the ones coming up in the next couple years.
No he's not. The eyeballs and metrics agree.
Zamula has good vision and a smooth skater but slow, lacks lateral agility and strength, uses his stick well but doesn't have great defensive instincts.
His upside is a solid 3LHD. Simply lacks the talent for the top 4.

Seeler - Walker were a great pair last season, xGF% 56.72%, HDCF 55.31%
Seeler - Drysdale, xGF% 51.12%, HDCF 56.95% (SSS, but Drysdale bad with anyone else).

Seeler is a better skater than Zamula or Ginning, great shot blocker, smart, stay at home D-man who plays within his limitations. Best paired with mobile D-man so he's not asked to do too much on offense.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
We're talking a late 3rd rd pick, if he's a 3RHD that's a "hit."
If Risto was moveable I think Attard would have a year or two to replace him and prove he belongs.
But they need to play Risto if they want to move him next summer.

Good luck with that, nobody wants that contract. They made their own bed paying through the nose to get him and then decided to pay him like an established top-4 D while he keeps playing more like a 5-7.
Barring a drastic turnaround, Risto is a pay out candidate.

HeadLiceHatty

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
No room at the inn.

Drysdale is getting a shot at 2RHD, Risto will be showcased at 3RHD (and he's better than Attard, much better skater and Shaw has taught him how to play defense).

Attard is odd man out, maybe gets a shot next year, but with Bonk and Sotheran in LHV, and we'll see how Samson (21) and Grans (22) develop this year.
Is Bonk confirmed at LHV next year? Excited to watch him play if so.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Is Bonk confirmed at LHV next year? Excited to watch him play if so.
Bonk and Sotheran should both be in LHV next year, I think they want to give them a year of pro experience before competing for NHL jobs, but you never know what's going to happen in TC.

Not sure if battleship Mann will be cruising in Reading or LHV this season.

Reactions: HeadLiceHatty

HeadLiceHatty

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
Bonk and Sotheran should both be in LHV next year, I think they want to give them a year of pro experience before competing for NHL jobs, but you never know what's going to happen in TC.

Not sure if battleship Mann will be cruising in Reading or LHV this season.
I really think Bonk is going to be a top 4 solid, Hjalmarsson type, not flashy, but just really, really good always in the right spot.

Reactions: renberg

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
I really think Bonk is going to be a top 4 solid, Hjalmarsson type, not flashy, but just really, really good always in the right spot.

Hjalmarsson’s ability to kill plays was his super power. Phenomenal defensively. There’s not a whole lot of dmen who can provide surplus value by being truly excellent defensively but he was one of them.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Yesterday the Canadiens extended Kaiden Guhle with a six year, $5.550,000 per deal. He's twenty-two years old with a year and a half of NHL experience under his belt.
If he were in the Flyers system, he'd be nailed to the bench with the Phantoms and blocked from the NHL by some 35 year old piece of toast on the blue line. If you don't see that the Flyers have something drastically wrong with their player development and advancement please don't drive and stay away from sharp objects.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Guhle #16 in 2020 draft.
Missed most of 2020-21 season, returned to WHL in 2021-22, played in NHL in 2022-23, full-time starter in 2023-24 (D+4 season)

York, #14 in 2019, spent next two seasons in college, split time between NHL and AHL in 2021-22, won starting job in 2022-23 (D+4 season), 1st pair in 2023-24.

Obviously, a drastic difference in development philosophy.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Yesterday the Canadiens extended Kaiden Guhle with a six year, $5.550,000 per deal. He's twenty-two years old with a year and a half of NHL experience under his belt.
If he were in the Flyers system, he'd be nailed to the bench with the Phantoms and blocked from the NHL by some 35 year old piece of toast on the blue line. If you don't see that the Flyers have something drastically wrong with their player development and advancement please don't drive and stay away from sharp objects.
Ginning and Attard are probably not full time NHL level players in the flyer's eyes. Really wish they actually found out instead of just assuming. Though when you're a cup contending team you don't have the luxury.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Ginning and Attard are probably not full time NHL level players in the flyer's eyes. Really wish they actually found out instead of just assuming. Though when you're a cup contending team you don't have the luxury.
Attard has played 31 NHL and 125 AHL games for them, at this point they probably have a good idea of his strengths, weaknesses and upside. I suspect his defensive fundamentals are what are holding him back from a starting job - b/c of lack of speed, he has to know when to gamble and when to get back b/c he's going to lose a foot race with most forwards.

Ginning is just limited, he's the 7th D-man type, can fill in on the third pair in a sheltered role but probably not as a full-time starter (see Belpedio).

When I watch players in the AHL, I want them to jump out at me and show they're too good for that league. I haven't really seen that with these two.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Attard has played 31 NHL and 125 AHL games for them, at this point they probably have a good idea of his strengths, weaknesses and upside. I suspect his defensive fundamentals are what are holding him back from a starting job - b/c of lack of speed, he has to know when to gamble and when to get back b/c he's going to lose a foot race with most forwards.

Ginning is just limited, he's the 7th D-man type, can fill in on the third pair in a sheltered role but probably not as a full-time starter (see Belpedio).

When I watch players in the AHL, I want them to jump out at me and show they're too good for that league. I haven't really seen that with these two.
The point is why not give them a nice size sample of games to confirm. Both have looked solid in their short stint. Enough to warrant a more entailed look. The team is rebuilding they say.

The Flyers do not have any prospect that meets that description. Just an example how is a guy like Desnoyers supposed to show he is too good for the league when his ceiling is a 4th line player?

Also, that being said then why not keep one as the 7th instead of EJ? Every dollar matters.

Funny you mention Belpedio. Had what 15 games last season. Look capable. Why not get an extended look as maybe he is your next Seeler? Which would then allow you to move Seeler? Yes I kid they love Seeler and he will wear an A next season.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The point is why not give them a nice size sample of games to confirm. Both have looked solid in their short stint. Enough to warrant a more entailed look. The team is rebuilding they say.

The Flyers do not have any prospect that meets that description. Just an example how is a guy like Desnoyers supposed to show he is too good for the league when his ceiling is a 4th line player?

Also, that being said then why not keep one as the 7th instead of EJ? Every dollar matters.

Funny you mention Belpedio. Had what 15 games last season. Look capable. Why not get an extended look as maybe he is your next Seeler? Which would then allow you to move Seeler? Yes I kid they love Seeler and he will wear an A next season.
Don't think you save much if any money replacing EJ as the 7th D-man, and not much point having Ginning/Attard in that role. The top six is set, if there's a long-term injury that's when you promote someone from the AHL.

Belpedio is smaller and slower than Seeler, he's an AHL plus player. And he's a RHD, Seeler LHD. He's fine in his role as a mentor to young D-men in LHV and an emergency call-up.

Desnoyers has to step up, 2 years ago he has 23 goals, if he had built on that he'd be on the Flyers bottom six this season. Still only 22, so time to turn it around.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad