WJC: Egli hit on Nylander (Egli susp. 3 games, no confirmed diagnosis for Nylander)

Status
Not open for further replies.

islandermaniac

Feb 27, 2002
Still have only seen the play at full speed but it seems like the initial point of contact was not the head. The replay I've seen shows a guy going for a skate in what he must assume is a Sunday morning beer league game. Seemed careless of the puck carrier. Look, no one likes to see "their guy" get rocked but that's pretty much what the full speed replay showed this hockey fan. I'd be upset to be a Swiss fan because I think the suspension was not deserved. A little guy got smoked by a bigger guy. That's it. That's all. No penalty. No suspension. Keep your head up and on a swivel.

Disclaimer: if there's a replay that shows the Swiss player taking a run at nylander, and it also shows the head as the initial point of contact, a suspension is warranted.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
If William Nylander really has a concussion his tournament is over.
But so long when concussion diagnosis isn't officially confirmed / announced there's chance Nylander will play sooner or later.

Finnish law is very strict for patient information donation to outsiders.
Even FEL teams can't told players injury details without players will.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Disclaimer: if there's a replay that shows the Swiss player taking a run at nylander, and it also shows the head as the initial point of contact, a suspension is warranted.

unfortunately that's not how the iihf rules work. The head can not be the initial point of contact, and still be an illegal head shot.

islandermaniac

Feb 27, 2002
unfortunately that's not how the iihf rules work. The head can not be the initial point of contact, and still be an illegal head shot.

I am not suggesting otherwise. Just suggesting that I would not be happy as a Swiss fan to lose a player simply because my bigger guy blew up their little guy. I don't see anything wrong with the hit.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Still have only seen the play at full speed but it seems like the initial point of contact was not the head. The replay I've seen shows a guy going for a skate in what he must assume is a Sunday morning beer league game. Seemed careless of the puck carrier. Look, no one likes to see "their guy" get rocked but that's pretty much what the full speed replay showed this hockey fan. I'd be upset to be a Swiss fan because I think the suspension was not deserved. A little guy got smoked by a bigger guy. That's it. That's all. No penalty. No suspension. Keep your head up and on a swivel.

I don't think enough people realize how difficult a hit this is to make against a converging target. It was a non malicious text book attempt at making a hit on a puck carrier. A hit that Egli was obligated to make.

He stayed low, but as it turned out, not low enough, he initiated contact with the shoulder, but as it turned out not fully enough. He braced for, but did not pump upwards on the hit.

If he gets a little lower, and Nylander straightens and braces, he may get the worst of the hit. We would all be talking about how great Nylander is and hope that Egli has learned some lesson and will get well soon.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I am not suggesting otherwise. Just suggesting that I would not be happy as a Swiss fan to lose a player simply because my bigger guy blew up their little guy. I don't see anything wrong with the hit.

well he significantly hit Nylander's head so there's that

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Except, he didn't. Can't check anyone apparently unless you are holding a pillow for their head to go into, since, you know this thing called momentum exists.

did you not watch the 2nd video? Or completely miss the frame posted where his shoulder is against Nylander's head mid-hit?

Again I'm baffaled how people can watch that 2nd video in the OP and not see significant contact to the head. It actually astounds me

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003

Apparently not.

But this is included in how they are written:

vii. A skater who delivers a check to an opponent who is skating with the
puck with his head down in the direction of the skater, and does not
use an upward motion or drive his body up into the opponent, will not
be penalized for checking to the head or neck.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Apparently not.

But this is included in how they are written:

vii. A skater who delivers a check to an opponent who is skating with the
puck with his head down in the direction of the skater, and does not
use an upward motion or drive his body up into the opponent, will not
be penalized for checking to the head or neck.

apparently the iihf disagree, they think the hit was against their rules or they wouldn't have suspended him for 3 games. I mean people can post and say they're suspending the result and not the hit but that doesn't change anything, if the iihf thought the hit was clean you wouldn't see a 3 game suspension

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
apparently the iihf disagree, they think the hit was against their rules or they wouldn't have suspended him for 3 games. I mean people can post and say they're suspending the result and not the hit but that doesn't change anything, if the iihf thought the hit was clean you wouldn't see a 3 game suspension

It is there rule not an opinion on it or how it should be interpreted. (in the post you quoted) For the record I agree with the fact there was a suspension due to the degree of head contact, but think one game would have been more appropriate as Egli stayed low, did not elevate and the head was not targeted

But I do question why that rule does not apply in this case. It seemed clear that Egli at least attempted to make a clean check.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I don't really have a problem with that hit. Nylander was low more than Egli was high. If Nylander pops right back up, I think everyone is applauding Egli for a beautiful open ice hit.

To me it just seems to be another case of punishing for the injury rather than the action.

Last edited:

Makar Goes Fast

grocery stick
Aug 17, 2012
downtown poundtown
nylander will get killed in the nhl if he cuts through the middle like that and doesnt look around.

bad hit though. doutb he was aiming for the head but fast play with bad result

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
It is there rule not an opinion on it or how it should be interpreted. (in the post you quoted) For the record I agree with the fact there was a suspension due to the degree of head contact, but think one game would have been more appropriate as Egli stayed low, did not elevate and the head was not targeted

But I do question why that rule does not apply in this case. It seemed clear that Egli at least attempted to make a clean check.

That rule only applies in the case of a head on collision, so that a player leaned foward skating does not get blanket amnesty from contact.

Egli's form was clean but coming from the side (perpendicular) and cut ahead of Nylander's centre of mass driving though mostly head. It's a matter of inches

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
They have been trying to get these high blindside hits out of the game for a while now.

I really dont think Egli was trying to injure Nylander in any way but it was certainly a reckless move in the current climate. Its an unfortunate hit all around actually because I dont think Nylander really did anything wrong as well. He had his head up looking ahead and couldnt see Egli coming from the side. It has nothing to do with Nylander's age/size as he has been playing and thriving in mens leagues forever now.

Much of the force of the check nailed Nylander in the head which was why he helicoptered around with such force. A couple of inches is all it takes to make a decent check to break up a rush and a brutal headshot. If this was a check from the front, it's a lot easier to defend as a legal check but the outcome of this kind of check hasnt even been legal in the NHL for a long time.

I actually feel bad for both Nylander and Egli here and I hope both wont have their careers negatively affected by this outcome. Its a fast game and these things can happen sometimes.

mikeo1

Jan 6, 2008
Vancouver
Head was not the initial point of contact and "taking a run" =/= bracing for a hit

Doesn't look like you're paying close enough attention.

The frame before impact, Egli has gone by Nylander's shoulders (which have not shifted, signifying no contact has been made) and is approaching his head:
dRTd0l1.jpg

The moment of impact -note that Nylander's head has moved in response to the collision. His shoulders and arms are still in the same position (i.e. - no contact has been made with them) :
Yov9FO2.jpg

A direct hit to the head. Dirty hit and worthy of suspension. IIHF made the right call.

Last edited:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

You are correct, the initial point of contact was not the head if you look at these multiple angles.

Screen%20Shot%202015-12-27%20at%2012.42.26%20AM_zpsks0yairh.png

I do not like how Egli is being vilified here so please do not take it that way. But I am not sure why people keep referring to the Egli hit as a bigger guy hitting a smaller guy. According to various sources or ones you choose to believe. Egli is listed at only 165 on elite prospects which is lighter than Nylander is. Maybe it just plays to the narrative that Egli was picking on a smaller guy, and again he is being made the villain in this unfortunate result that knocked a high profile player perhaps out of the tournament.

Let's just say they are of similar sizes. I think you nailed it in your analysis. If one is to treat both players as equals and not that one is likely a lower draft pick, the other a first rounder. There was blame to share from both players. Replays show Egli targeted the shoulder, while Nylander was careless carrying the puck through the neutral zone.

Again a player carrying the puck through the neutral zone should expect to be checked. Egli is not expected to give him a free pass where he would have to face his bench if Nylander waltzed in to score on that play. He was finishing a check.

It's hockey, its a fast game. This won't be the last time we are likely to discuss these events.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Head was not the initial point of contact and "taking a run" =/= bracing for a hit

He brushed his shoulder and the main force of the check hit him in the head...and it was blindside.

I'm not saying it was malicious but unfortunate.

This is going to be called a penalty and a suspension in any league. Simply, he was reckless and accidentally threw a huge hit to a guys head.

It was worse than Gryba on Eller (who recieved a suicide pass) but I'm referencing that because Gryba was just trying to throw a check and then brushed Ellers body as the main force of the check nailed Eller in the head. There is a better argument for Grybas check to be legal though as is was not as blatantly blind side and there was some fault on the other side (Eller was looking back for the suicide pass and didnt have time to see Gryba coming from the front.

Last edited:

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
You are correct, the initial point of contact was not the head if you look at these multiple angles.

Screen%20Shot%202015-12-27%20at%2012.42.26%20AM_zpsks0yairh.png

I do not like how Egli is being vilified here so please do not take it that way. But I am not sure why people keep referring to the Egli hit as a bigger guy hitting a smaller guy. According to various sources or ones you choose to believe. Egli is listed at only 165 on elite prospects which is lighter than Nylander is. Maybe it just plays to the narrative that Egli was picking on a smaller guy, and again he is being made the villain in this unfortunate result that knocked a high profile player perhaps out of the tournament.

Let's just say they are of similar sizes. I think you nailed it in your analysis. If one is to treat both players as equals and not that one is likely a lower draft pick, the other a first rounder. There was blame to share from both players. Replays show Egli targeted the shoulder, while Nylander was careless carrying the puck through the neutral zone.

Again a player carrying the puck through the neutral zone should expect to be checked. Egli is not expected to give him a free pass where he would have to face his bench if Nylander waltzed in to score on that play. He was finishing a check.

It's hockey, its a fast game. This won't be the last time we are likely to discuss these events.

I agree to some extent that Egil should not be vilified but that video is also the worst video to look at in trying to determine what got hit first IMO.

It looks to be 90% head with some incidental through the rest of the body which is why the body reacted the way it did after the check....simply put, a body does not swing that way unless the guys head got rocked by the check.

Bad luck for Egil as he was just trying to throw a solid check but it went bad for him and Nylander there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad