WJC: Egli hit on Nylander (Egli susp. 3 games, no confirmed diagnosis for Nylander)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
He brushed his shoulder and the main force of the check hit him in the head...and it was blindside.

I'm not saying it was malicious but unfortunate.

This is going to be called a penalty and a suspension in any league. Simply, he was reckless and accidentally threw a huge hit to a guys head.

It was worse than Gryba on Eller (who recieved a suicide pass) but I'm referencing that because Gryba was just trying to throw a check and then brushed Ellers body as the main force of the check nailed Eller in the head. There is a better argument for Grybas check to be legal though as is was not as blatantly blind side and there was some fault on the other side (Eller was looking back for the suicide pass and didnt have time to see Gryba coming from the front.

I think it is extremely disingenuous, after looking at it carefully, to call it a blind side hit. That part is totally on Nylander, who had Egli directly in his path but chose to look elsewhere. Blind side hits come from the back and to the side, not from the front.

There was only one reckless player on the play, and that was Nylander as well. Egli came within inches of the perfect hit, and I am not sure if Nylander would have been any better served if he had.

You will not see that much deceleration of the body on that angle if it is 90% head. The head was significantly involved no doubt but not picked. The right extended shoulder is almost the same distance from the center of mass and will cause similar rotation.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
This thread.
Leaf prospect.

Never change HF, never change.

Yeah it can't be anything to do with the hit itself and how the game is changing.

It must be due to all the success the leafs have had in the years HF has been around...just eating away at us...

leafsgirl12

Apr 29, 2014
Canada
I agree to some extent that Egil should not be vilified but that video is also the worst video to look at in trying to determine what got hit first IMO.

It looks to be 90% head with some incidental through the rest of the body which is why the body reacted the way it did after the check....simply put, a body does not swing that way unless the guys head got rocked by the check.

Bad luck for Egil as he was just trying to throw a solid check but it went bad for him and Nylander there.
Agree some contact to Nylander's shoulder but most contact was too his head

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
Little Willy, Willy drives them wild with his run-around style
Inside, outside
Willy sends them silly with his star-shine shimmy shuffle smile
Egli done chase Willy down through the hall

Coach says:

Little Willie, Willie won't go home,
you can't push Willie round, Willie won't go.
Tried Egli in the open ice, oh no
Little Willie, Willie won't go home.

Woll Smoth

Mar 17, 2010
Mississauga
Yeah it can't be anything to do with the hit itself and how the game is changing.

It must be due to all the success the leafs have had in the years HF has been around...just eating away at us...

No, we just have a ton of "neutral" fans jumping at the chance to criticize Nylander. Even saying his on ice vision is lacking? Seriously?

We also have a lot of "neutral" fans upset that Egli was suspended for hitting Nylander in the head with his shoulder.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
I wish the term 'blindside' would die 1000 deaths. It's misused 99% of the time.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
I think it is extremely disingenuous, after looking at it carefully, to call it a blind side hit. That part is totally on Nylander, who had Egli directly in his path but chose to look elsewhere. Blind side hits come from the back and to the side, not from the front.

There was only one reckless player on the play, and that was Nylander as well. Egli came within inches of the perfect hit, and I am not sure if Nylander would have been any better served if he had.

You will not see that much deceleration of the body on that angle if it is 90% head. The head was significantly involved no doubt but not picked. The right extended shoulder is almost the same distance from the center of mass and will cause similar rotation.

He's only directly in his path in snapshot mode. He's blindside because Nylander's head is already facing where his torso will be in a millisecond. If his torso was the direct path, why do the pictures start at one line and end near centre?

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002
He's only directly in his path in snapshot mode. He's blindside because Nylander's head is already facing where his torso will be in a millisecond. If his torso was the direct path, why do the pictures start at one line and end near centre?

It was not a blindside hit. Nylander started turning without looking at the guy right in front of him. It's really all his own fault. He needs to keep his head up. Period. If he runs into a big NHL Dman like that, he won't be getting up.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
No one's that good that they make that they make that hit legally with any certainty at all. If they do make it there is no guarantee of a safer outcome. It would be an even harder hit.

I've re-read this several times now and still can't comprehend what you're trying to say, at all.:whaaa?:

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
I've re-read this several times now and still can't comprehend what you're trying to say, at all.:whaaa?:

They are moving, fast, in opposite directions. Without bailing out on the hit, you need to take more body than Egli did. It is a very difficult check to make.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad