Post-Series Talk: Edmonton Oilers Defeat the Vancouver Canucks, 4-3, advance to WCF

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
What an absolute banger of a series. Right up there with Edmonton Dallas in '97.

And quite a few notches over the first BOA I was able to witness a couple years ago.

Canucks are a bitter rival, but I tip my hat with mad respect for how they played that series.

Be proud of your team, Vancouver

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
Hughes is a better skater. Bouchard is better literally everywhere else on the ice. Bigger, stronger, better passer, better shot and better defensively.
Bouchard will win the Norris next year then. Hughes' stretch passes are super accurate, and he isn't called a zone exit machine for nothing. If Bouchard is better in all areas, he is a generational player.

Reactions: DarksideGhost

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Great series from both teams....but let's be honest, the best thing that could happen was the Demko injury...but not for the Oilers for the Nucks.
They do know now that they have a great goalie in the making and should trade one of their goalies next season and invest in other areas.

And comon, nobody here thinks that the series would have gone different with Demo in net, Silovs was the best Nuck by far...I wish Boeser had played the last game, he was great in this series but I dont think it would have changed the outcome.
Hopefully we see us again next year in the playoffs.
I know you guys have never had or seen an elite goalie play for your team except maybe in 1980s but an elite goalie can steal a series by themselves. Demko could have very well made the Canucks win in 5. But you will face a decent goalie next game that is somewhat elite.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The same applies to the Oilers. Beating an injured Canucks team and the LA Kings doesn't get you the Cup.

Let's see them show up against Dallas.

In all fairness really are Leafs fans supposed to be lecturing anyone about Cup this or Cup that or what playoffs are about?

Y'all can't even beat an 800 year old Marchand even though Chara, Bergeron, Krejci, etc. are all long gone.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
It could be short . It could go to 7. I'm not going to try and predict the next series. It will probably be a good one.
I think skinner will get lit up. Dallas has 4 lines that can score and they wont have Ian Cole scoring half of the Oilers goals

• Haha
Reactions: Sniper99

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
I know you guys have never had or seen an elite goalie play for your team except maybe in 1980s but an elite goalie can steal a series by themselves. Demko could have very well made the Canucks win in 5. But you will face a decent goalie next game that is somewhat elite.

I think we’ll be okay, but thank you for your concern

Reactions: Frosty415

BluesyShoes

Unregistered User
Dec 11, 2010
The story of the series in my eyes is that the Oilers have the best 5 man unit in the world, and the ice gets tilted when they are on the ice. The Canucks are very well coached, and they needed to keep the lines rolling to keep the checking pace high and their heads above water. The long change in the second period, and the last change at home to get the right matchups, were huge factors in this series, as was the Canucks executing poorly on zone clears and breakouts. Game 5 the Canucks corrected some details on zone clears and breakouts, and as a result they consistently got their line changes, even through the second period, and it is what the series may have looked like had they been able to execute nearly perfectly in any given game. But they couldn't sustain it outside of that one game, and once they missed a zone clear and line change or iced the puck, the ball got rolling downhill for Edmonton and eventually they would just take over long stretches of the game, as the Canucks were gasping for air just to get the line change.

Good first real playoff for this Canucks core, Hughes and Pettersson now know they need to be far better instead of worrying about the team around them. They need to hit the gym to deal with the physicality better, there is no way around it. Miller was great, but I imagine he is going to transition harder into being a shutdown guy. Crazy to think a year and a half ago most doubted him entirely as a center. Lots of offseason decisions all over the roster.

Edmonton will be interesting to watch against Dallas, a very similarly coached team to Tocchet's Vancouver. Edmonton improved over the course of the series against Vancouver, so it may have been a useful stepping stone in knowing what to do to beat Dallas, a much deeper and more polished version of Vancouver. Dallas executes at a much higher rate on the little details that were killing Vancouver all series, so how much McDrai can tilt the ice downhill against them remains to be seen.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Bouchard really outplayed Hughes this series.
I think Hughes was the only Canucks Dman who didn’t score a goal in this series. He should shoulder a lot of blame for the series loss. Not nearly good enough for a Norris finalist.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
So let's see the Oilers beat a contender in the playoffs. They have another chance now. They're good at beating the LA Kings for sure.
Canucks could have beat the Oilers but the news of Boeser being out due to blood clot was a major shock to the team similar to Nishushkin being taken out from Avs roster due to substance abuse. The team is both psychollogically and skill wise affected big time. Imagine your top playoff scorer miss the whole playoffs. I know the next man mentality talk but reality is that the team is affected and has a lower chance to win a cup.

PULSATING

Sep 20, 2018
This Canucks team missing Demko/Boeser against a healthy Leafs or a Matthews/Nylander/Woll out Leafs? Both teams had key injuries this playoffs.

This Canucks team against the Leafs with an injured Matthews and losing Nylander for the first 3 games - of course.
Boeser wouldn't have been injured. Vancouver would have won in 4.

• Haha
Reactions: Sniper99

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Literally which
Both goals in game 4 off the top of my head. 2-1 goal deflects off Desharnais' skate straight to Lindholm, Garland's shot redirects off Nurse's ankle. Tying goal bounces off Desharnais' stick, down into the ice, then Joshua's ankle, then into the net.

Reactions: Oilhawks

rea

Feb 8, 2011
Can we agree that the Let’s go Petey chant is the most embarrassing thing of all time?

How does that help Pettersson? I would be rattled
Who knows. Mb you're right. But as they started, he played better. If you believe everyone isn't created equal, maybe some need support, and hearing 18000+ people telling you they believe in you and support you when the whole world is trying to paint you as useless, well I think it made a difference and mattered.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Beat a strong team then. The Oilers beating the Kings and a depleted Vancouver doesn't prove anything.

The entire season lots of people said the Vancouver Canucks relied on Demko and PDO. They lost Demko this entire series.

Colorado '22 and Vegas '23 aren't just "contenders" or "strong teams" they were the champions, in Colorado's case they destroyed everyone that year. Vegas also waxed the Florida team that beat your ass, the Oilers-Knights series was a lot closer, even Marchessault said as much.

Reactions: McNuge and karnige

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad