Proposal: Edmonton - Calgary

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

oilersfan87

Jan 18, 2009
:edmonton
J. Huberdeau
M. Weegar
D. Vladar

:flames
D. Nurse
J. Campbell
D. Holloway
X. Bourgault
2025 1st round pick
2026 1st round pick

The Oilers go all in for a Stanley Cup next season, while the Flames go all in for a rebuild next season. We are going to assume that Weegar waives his NTC to go to the Oilers since he is already playing in Alberta and would want a chance to win the Stanley Cup.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
It’s interesting for sure. My worry is that Huberdeau figures things out and returns to the form he had in the past and we gift the Oilers a cup.

I just can’t see a major trade like this between these teams ever happening. Even if it makes sense value wise

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
There's one valuable piece in that deal. It's Weegar. Let's break it down:

Huberdeau < Nurse I think Nurse is a slightly less dumpy cap dump than Huberdeau.
Campbell, Holloway, 1st = Vladar Not saying Vladar is valuable, just that he's worth a 4th rd pick.
Weegar > 1st Bourgault

The question is which value is more lopsided. Bourgault (I see him as a bust) and a 1st for Weegar or Huberdeau for Nurse. It's close. Too close to alleviate the Oilers of all their problems in one swoop. I don't want to help the Oilers unless we very clearly win the trade. It was too close this season. So close that Tanev likely makes the difference. I had no problem helping out the Oilers during the decade of tanking, but now? Different story.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Calgary and Edmonton haven't made a trade with each other involving players that actually matter in the entire history of the organizations so I'm pretty sure they aren't about to start now.

But if Conroy wants to help push his archrival over the edge for whatever reason I'd have considerable interest in acquiring Weegar.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Wow, Edmonton's prospects are trash. That's literally their top 2.

It's not terrible, I'd consider it as long as the 2026 was unprotected. That team would crash and burn under cap issues.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Think the value is actually reasonable for a complicated massive trade. Still don't think I'd do it. Holloway is the only piece that I really like here and he's more of a mid 6 winger, which the Flames have a shit ton of.

Huberdeau's contract is bad yes but it's not the thing that's holding the team back like Nurse's is. If Hubes wasn't on the roster next year the Flames would be worse, not better.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
That's horrendous for Edmonton. We lose a massive amount of futures, get no cap relief and still remain a top heavy roster.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Calgary and Edmonton haven't made a trade with each other involving players that actually matter in the entire history of the organizations so I'm pretty sure they aren't about to start now.

But if Conroy wants to help push his archrival over the edge for whatever reason I'd have considerable interest in acquiring Weegar.
Staios mattered. As did Smid. Even Lucic mattered for a year or so.
The Oilers never got anything that mattered though.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Wow, Edmonton's prospects are trash. That's literally their top 2.

It's not terrible, I'd consider it as long as the 2026 was unprotected. That team would crash and burn under cap issues.
Yep, it ain't great. Holland stinks at drafting and our AHL coach prefers to play Greg McKegg in the top 6 instead of give anyone under 25 a chance.

Staios mattered. As did Smid. Even Lucic mattered for a year or so.
The Oilers never got anything that mattered though.
Neal scored 19 (not 20, 19) goals for us and we got Brossoit in the Smid trade, whose gone on to a nice career.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Yep, it ain't great. Holland stinks at drafting and our AHL coach prefers to play Greg McKegg in the top 6 instead of give anyone under 25 a chance.

Neal scored 19 (not 20, 19) goals for us and we got Brossoit in the Smid trade, whose gone on to a nice career.
The Oilers poor drafting precedes Holland. They just had a lot of #1 and top 10 picks before him. Holland has undoubtedly been the Oilers best GM of the past 20 years. I'd say that's a pretty big problem.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

Neal scored for like a month (11 goals in 14 games), then had a good game on NYE where he scored a hattrick and then he didn't score again that season... and 12 of the 14 goals were on the PP riding McDavid's coattails... is that really a hill you want to die on?

Brossoit didn't do much for the Oilers, in 4 years he didn't even play 30 games, yeah his career has been decent, but that's been since leaving Edmonton.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
The Oilers poor drafting precedes Holland. They just had a lot of #1 and top 10 picks before him. Holland has undoubtedly been the Oilers best GM of the past 20 years. I'd say that's a pretty big problem.
it does, but if we're talking prospect pools, then the current state of it is fully on Holland.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
it does, but if we're talking prospect pools, then the current state of it is fully on Holland.
Yup, he's the one who kept the same guys who had missed so many times. I agree the accountability for it should be on him. It just won't change with him being gone unless the guys doing the work change.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
How Bob Green is still employed I'll never know.
We'll see moving forward, but if they keep the same guys Holland kept after that string of bad picks, then I think the same results are likely to follow. I'm a Flames fan, but our record in the 1st round is spotty at best. That's usually head scout territory. Our area guys have done well in the later rounds. That and D development have been our only organizational strengths.

rea

Feb 8, 2011
Be a cold day in hell when Calgary helps edm twds cup aspirations, and vice versa for that matter lol

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG

2010 Steve Staios traded from Edmonton to Calgary for Aaron Johnson and a third

2013 Ladislav Smid and Olivier Roy from Edmonton to Calgary for Laurent Brossoit and Roman Horak

2019: Milan Lucic + 3rd from Edmonton traded to Calgary in exchange for James Neal.

Those were meaningful trades, but definitely lower end. They're also the only three trades between the franchises in their 40+ year histories. So yeah the idea of a blockbuster trade between the two is nuts.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I mean it's not the worst proposal on HF, but I still don't touch this if I'm Calgary. Huberdeau on Drai's wing should put him right back into PPG territory, meanwhile Nurse is still Nurse.

A Campbell buyout is fairly inconsequential. So it comes down to does Holloway, Bougreault, and the picks make up for the difference between Huberdeau/Nurse AND get you Weegar? To that I'd say absolutely not.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Edmonton
Conroy wouldn’t even trade us Tanev, he sure as hell isn’t trading us Weegar.

Calgary already dealt one goalie, I don’t think they’re dealing another, and personally I don’t really want Vladar. Or Huberdeau for that matter.

Apparently he was open and willing to moving Tanev to Edmonton and had a deal on paper but let Tanev decide between the Oilers and the Stars and Tanev chose the Stars

at least that's what Daryl Reaugh said

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
Honestly value wise…I’d do it. But the fact that it would help Edmonton…

1719530454720.jpeg

Reactions: Bounces R Way

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad