Value of: Edmonton & Boston - not realistic but curious

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
I don’t think either team does this, but just curious about value. Value wise, who adds.

Ekholm, Hyman, & Pickard
for
Swayman, DeBrusk, & Grzelyck

Figure there’s a pretty even salary swap, and a lineup replacement for each guy, with Edmonton getting a big upgrade in net, and a downgrade in the other two spots. Edmonton gets younger though, and can easily negotiate extensions for all three guys, but still have Swayman and cap space if the other two do walk.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Think Oilers would say yes and Bruins would say no.
I doubt it. Swayman is a huge upgrade, but DeBrusk is a big downgrade on Hyman and a pending UFA and we just paid through the nose for Ekholm, who is rounding back into form after his offseason injury, and Gryz is a big downgrade from him too. Edmonton probably doesn't touch this.

Bruins wouldn’t do this, makes them way older, and losing Swayman would only be ok in a deal for Drai.
Draisaitl is not remotely available, and even if he was, Swayman is a drop in the bucket for what he'd cost.

Mr Kot

Jan 15, 2022
Not terrible, but hyman is a tough one to give up on. Might be a revisit and see how it goes by trade deadline though.

Reactions: quietbruinfan

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
Neutral fan here, would the Bruins prefer someone like RNH in place of Hyman? It does seem like their LW is getting pretty old with Marchand and JVR at the top so I see the appeal for Hyman but Zacha and Coyle up the middle might not be sustainable either? DeBrusk isn't good enough to be the 2nd piece in the trade when Ekholm's a good top-4 D and Hyman/ RNH are top-line caliber guys. Grzelcyk also hasn't done much to warrant having much value IMO, so the Bruins probably have to add.

Reactions: SPV

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Obviously I'd like Swayman. But having Skinner, Campbell and Swayman makes little to no sense, and I think it's a downgrade on 2 players for the sake of upgrading 1.
DeBrusk is probably a better player than Ekholm. He’s certainly having a better season this year.

Different positions obviously but the best players in this trade are, in order, Hyman, Swayman, DeBrusk, Ekholm, Grzelcyk, AHL goalie.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
No interest from this Bruins fan.

Ekholm is starting to show his age.

Hyman is on the wrong side as well, especially for a player of his style, and his production has been no better than DeBrusk’s away from McDrai.

Neutral fan here, would the Bruins prefer someone like RNH in place of Hyman? It does seem like their LW is getting pretty old with Marchand and JVR at the top so I see the appeal for Hyman but Zacha and Coyle up the middle might not be sustainable either? DeBrusk isn't good enough to be the 2nd piece in the trade when Ekholm's a good top-4 D and Hyman/ RNH are top-line caliber guys. Grzelcyk also hasn't done much to warrant having much value IMO, so the Bruins probably have to add.

RNH is just another Zacha level guy. He is not a top line caliber guy.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
From an outsider's perspective - I'd say that Swayman is not a trade option. He's young enough to go through a Bruins' retool, if they ever need it.

Ulmark is the far more likely option for trade, but I still don't see why they would move him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oates2Neely

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
Thanks. When both team’s fans say no it’s usually pretty good value. LOL.
Not really, no. It tends to mean that it doesn't make sense for either side.

In this particular case, it's largely a bad move age-wise for Boston, while it does nothing for Edmonton. Getting Swayman is nice for them, but the point of getting a good goalie, is to be able to push for a Cup right now, and dealing Ekholm and Hyman for worse options does the exact opposite of that. Not to mention that dealing the best defensive defenseman of the team on what is already a team with suspect defensive play will only cause even Swayman to look bad. Trading Ekholm should be a complete no-go for them. They need more players like him, not less.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I don't think the Oilers can afford in any way to downgrade on defense in any pairing. They have to get better in goal, for sure, but also on D.

Bruins wouldn’t do this, makes them way older, and losing Swayman would only be ok in a deal for Drai.

You realize of course Swayman is the throw-in with any deal concerning Draisaitl.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad