Confirmed with Link: [EDM/VAN] Oilers acquire Vasily Podkolzin for OTT 4th '25

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
I'm worried we might have gifted you guys a good one here...

We signed Podz to a two year contract in the hopes that he would maybe start to figure it out this year, then break out to some degree next year allowing us to carry an over performing player at a 1mil cap hit for a season. I don't like that we essentially gifted that potential luxury to our biggest rival for advancing in the standings, but it appears that's what we elected to do.

Podz is an interesting player. He has very high work ethic and good attitude, he does not have the usual stereotypical profile that a lot of Russian players carry. He grinds hard, hits, goes to the physical areas of the ice, etc.

He has two main downsides:

1. He sometimes looks a bit lost out there. This is not due to a lack of effort, I don't really know what it is, but sometimes he just struggles with where he should be and what he should be doing. With that said, at other times, he makes very smart heads up plays, so I wouldn't say he has a lack of hockey sense, it's almost like he just gets caught sleeping here and there.
  2. For some reason, he seems to have a lack of finish. I don't really understand why as he has a heavy shot, and I do believe he has untapped offensive potential. He played quite a few games with Pettersson and they connected on some beauties (some of which, Podkolzin was the one making the amazing offensive play).
The problem is Podz seems to have had these concerns at every level from the KHL, to AHL, to NHL, and he hasn't overcome them. He's a player you want to root for, and you can see what appears to be potential, which is why Canuck fans didn't want to let him go. But ya, I don't know why he can't seem to put it all together. Maybe he's a potential late bloomer candidate? Or maybe he's a bust... In either case, he's a well liked player, and someone Vancouver fans will be following to see how his story turns out...
So much depends on the Center he’s playing with. If he draws into the 3rd line, Henrique will be a useful mentor (and patient) to bring him along this season.
If he draws into the 4th line, it would be a problem, as the Center would be Ryan (who can’t really raise his own game), or ???
Since he has a good work ethic, at least we can assume he’ll do his part to fit in.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
It's not that bad when you consider 90% of the stuff on marketplace are from Ikea haha
That was put together by clowns on meth, that damaged it during assembly and that gets further damaged in moves.

So much better to just get it new and easy to put together yourself. In the case of Ikea we're not talking expensive.

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
f*** that guy has patience. Maybe that should be a question at the combines in all sports to find out about a player. "How often you shop at IKEA"

I sooner go on marketplace or Kijiji and buy a pre-assembled item from someone than put the work into building their shit.
And it's not even good quality. It's basically made of cardboard.

CanadasTeam99

Jul 22, 2024
f*** that guy has patience. Maybe that should be a question at the combines in all sports to find out about a player. "How often you shop at IKEA"

I sooner go on marketplace or Kijiji and buy a pre-assembled item from someone than put the work into building their shit.
I love just walking around Ikea. I don't assemble anything though. I go to TaskRabbit and also have my moving guys come in and I pay them by the hour. They assembled most of the stuff in my new place. If they aren't busy, I just give them a call.

Surely as an NHL player he can afford better than IKEA :laugh:
His salary isn't much for an NHL player though. Depends what you spend your $$ on. My most expensive items for my new build were my 2 sofas that were about 10K total or 11K. Blinds were about 8K. TV's had to be really good. lol. Bought some nice dressers and accent tables for the main floor. It all adds up though. Area rugs, a nice dining table.

PositiveCashFlow

the construction could be better
Jul 10, 2007
1724264865531.png

Reactions: oilers'72

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
It’s funny seeing Armstrong defending his decision with the whole “gm code of conduct” comment. He’s been a gm for a long time so he definitely understands the reasoning of why gm’s don’t do it and I’m sure he wouldn’t be singing the same tune if every off season gm’s were following his lead and trying to poach each others rfa’s while giving player agents huge leverage in negotiations.

He even qualifies it by saying it’s about making his team better and not hurting another team, well guess what Doug, why a person is using it doesn’t matter, it’s the same legal tool either way and in many instances hurting your opponents chances is just as good as improving yours.

If I’m an opposing GM and I can arm one of your rfa’s agent with an offer sheet to give him leverage over you and likely cost you an extra 1-2M on aav, why wouldn’t I do it? It’s a perfectly legal tool at my disposal and driving up cap hits for you means I’m potentially taking you out as a competitor for other free agent or trade targets that we both might be looking at, thus giving me a better chance to improve my team.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Getting back to the player this is an interesting read. I searched for this after looking indepth at Podkolzins career. Indeed there is nothing in the players entire career that should suggest topten pick, not even first round pick.

Indeed the only time Podkolzin shined was at the Hlinka Gretzky tournament, and another example of scouts being seduced at short sample results that somehow become the narrative on the player instead of everything else he's done.

The scouting reports are odd. For people in the profession of scouting they pretty clearly got this one wrong too. The player to this point is a bust. Not even an NHL player, and not doing much of anything in AHL either.

Really since Draft the player had one serviceable season in which he was even getting some top line looks. Theres been nothing since, not even a pulse.

I have to wonder what Igor Larionov was thinking comparing this player to Mark Messier. I don' get it, don't see it. He's not even an NHL player.

Last edited:

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Getting back to the player this is an interesting read. I searched for this after looking indepth at Podkolzins career. Indeed there is nothing in the players entire career that should suggest topten pick, not even first round pick.

Indeed the only time Podkolzin shined was at the Hlinka Gretzky tournament, and another example of scouts being seduced at short sample results that somehow become the narrative on the player instead of everything else he's done.

The scouting reports are odd. For people in the profession of scouting they pretty clearly got this one wrong too. The player to this point is a bust. Not even an NHL player, and not doing much of anything in AHL either.

Really since Draft the player had one serviceable season in which he was even getting some top line looks. Theres been nothing since, not even a pulse.

I have to wonder what Igor Larionov was thinking comparing this player to Mark Messier. I don' get it, don't see it. He's not even an NHL player.
Keep in mind we traded a 4th for this player. It’s a low risk gamble at a high pick who lost his way with his other organization. If he turns into a decent 4th liner who is affordable the next two seasons it’s a win. If he doesn’t turn into anything and ends up on waivers it’s a nothing burger.

I think you need to separate this player from the fact that we lost Holloway. We lost Holloway the minute the Blues offered him a contract worth twice his value. We didn’t have the cap space to make it work even once we dealt Ceci for a cheap replacement.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Keep in mind we traded a 4th for this player. It’s a low risk gamble at a high pick who lost his way with his other organization. If he turns into a decent 4th liner who is affordable the next two seasons it’s a win. If he doesn’t turn into anything and ends up on waivers it’s a nothing burger.

I think you need to separate this player from the fact that we lost Holloway. We lost Holloway the minute the Blues offered him a contract worth twice his value. We didn’t have the cap space to make it work even once we dealt Ceci for a cheap replacement.
Yep. This is all fair comment. Yet several posters annointing Podkolzin as a Holloway replacement. I think more the case it was a drafting misfire with Pods. The players are not comparable. Looks like the scouts got fooled.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

We still have some of our IKEA furniture that I assembled over 40 years ago, and while I admit that the assembly is extremely frustrating, it taught me a lot about patience, and also taught me that you can have furniture last for over 40 years despite having multiple fasteners and pieces left over that to this day you still have no idea where they were supposed to go. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: oilers'72 and nabob

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
IKEA has the BEST Swedish meatballs. And it's not even close.
Unfortunately contain gluten and filler. imo that makes it not even an option, and I'm celiac. But the ikea meatballs are cheap for a reason. Its not even all beef. Its pork filler, its bread filler etc.

Oddly perhaps this is far better, these are great and work well in many meals.

even a leaner option that I buy as these things its hard not to eat more than a handful...heh only 7grams of fat in 6 meatballs. Thats crazy good.

These are also already fully cooked and frozen so easy to heat up and use in anything. They taste great. Fantastic option on a party tray. People will ask you what your recipe is or where you got these....haha

Last edited:

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Bob saying Podz will get first crack at a bottom 6 role due to the waiver eligibility. If he doesn’t turn out, we potentially lose him for nothing and the 4th pick with it.
One of the benefits of cap space is perhaps keeping someone like Podkolzin in the press box rather than losing him to waivers

It's the same with Emberson. A great guy to try but he was cheap because he is a waiver risk

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Yep. This is all fair comment. Yet several posters annointing Podkolzin as a Holloway replacement. I think more the case it was a drafting misfire with Pods. The players are not comparable. Looks like the scouts got fooled.
I’m going to choose to put Podkolzin in the same category as a guy like Kostin. Similar AHL numbers, similar NHL numbers. Sometimes all these guys need is a new look and they can make some magic happen. And the good news with Podkolzin is he’s signed for 2 years. So if he does have a bit of a turn around in his career he won’t price himself off the team like Kostin did.

Or he flames out and ends up on waivers out of camp. A wasted 4th, oh well.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

It is somewhat comparable to Broberg who had a great Hlinka tournament and has never really had much success anywhere else.

Broberg did start to put it together at the end of this year in the AHL.

But could also be buyer beware with him.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
It might not be the worst thing in the world if he doesn't explode here per se. 10-12 goals a season with some physical play and strong board work fills a need and doesn't require a huge extension.

Reactions: McDoused

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad