Proposal: EDM-UTA -CGY

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

T_Cage

VP of Awesome
Sep 26, 2006
Without Savoie this doesn't really make sense for Utah. A 6th OVR pick that looks to be worthy of the draft position for 2 1sts that will likely be #28-32 and a late second?

Honestly utah would be better keeping Weegar in this scenario and cutting edmonton out (tho I don't think Calgary trades Weegar in this deal anyways)

samabam

May 3, 2006
Munich
Utah has one retention slot occupied for a long time by the oel buyout. Very much doubt the will occupy a second slot long-term to facilitate a deal of a player from another team to a third team

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
I don't think Utah trades a top 10, nearly top 5 pick for 2 late 1sts in 2 different years and a 2nd, and honestly even if you added Savoie I don't think GMBA would bite, his value clearly isn't as high as we fans think it is. I especially don't think they'd do this trade when they just picked the guy specifically because they knew he wouldn't fall past the flames and wanted him enough to do it anyways.

Grinner

May 31, 2022
Without Savoie this doesn't really make sense for Utah. A 6th OVR pick that looks to be worthy of the draft position for 2 1sts that will likely be #28-32 and a late second?

Honestly utah would be better keeping Weegar in this scenario and cutting edmonton out (tho I don't think Calgary trades Weegar in this deal anyways)
I was thinking it would be best to cut Utah out of it

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
The Oilers picks will be something like 26th OA, 31st OA, and a 60th OA.

Utah is giving up the guy they just drafted 6th OA for that, and also doing 4 years of $1m retention on Weegar?

The retention alone would be costly, maybe half the value of those picks.

It's Utah that is getting shafted here. And no they wouldn't do it if Savoie was included. He's not worth that much either.

Reactions: Guitpik and Grinner

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
:flames

Tij Iginla (LW) (6th OA 2024 draft)

:Utah

Matt Savoie (C)
1st Round pick (EDM, 2026) -no protection
1st Round pick (EDM, 2027) -no protection
2nd round pick (EDM, 2025)

:edmonton
Mackenzie Weegar (RHD, $5.75 Million AAV X4)
1 Million retained by Utah

This assumes Weegar will waive for Edmonton and E. Kane remains on the LTIR for the remainder of the season. Admittedly, big assumptions.

Calgary wanted to draft Tij and as I understand it pretty badly. Utah beat them to it. It's tough to come up with a three team trade and make a proposal that is fair for all sides.

Edit: Some have argued the Oilers are giving up too much in this deal. If Savoie is removed, do we feel this is fairer?
This is as bad as a proposal as it gets Oilers laugh Oilers have Bouchard not wasting all those assets for Weegar

Reactions: Morrison

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
The Oilers picks will be something like 26th OA, 31st OA, and a 60th OA.

Utah is giving up the guy they just drafted 6th OA for that, and also doing 4 years of $1m retention on Weegar?

The retention alone would be costly, maybe half the value of those picks.

It's Utah that is getting shafted here. And no they wouldn't do it if Savoie was included. He's not worth that much either.
Yeah Utah is getting boned.
Edmonton is overpaying for Weegar.
Calgary is the one that comes out golden getting a top prospect for a D-man that is never going to fetch that in a one for one deal. If the Flames could have gotten the 6th overall pick for Weegar, he'd already be gone.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010

Matt Savoie (C)

This assumes Weegar will waive for Edmonton and E. Kane remains on the LTIR for the remainder of the season. Admittedly, big assumptions.

Calgary wanted to draft Tij and as I understand it pretty badly. Utah beat them to it. It's tough to come up with a three team trade and make a proposal that is fair for all sides.

Edit: Some have argued the Oilers are giving up too much in this deal. If Savoie is removed, do we feel this is fairer?

I'd rather trade those picks for Iginla not that Utah is trading him for a couple late 1st rounders

Reactions: Guitpik

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Weird but Kane's has to give a list of 16 teams near this years trade deadline ( usually it is in the off season ). Point is there were rumours of teams being interested in Kane and he can be moved at the deadline to create cap space. Having said that with Kane on LTIR it will be a good test to see how the Oilers do without Kane's physical present in the line up. If they are good without Kane he can be moved along with picks for a upgrade on D

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Utah does not need picks. This isn’t the first few years of the Armstrong regime where the only goal was to get picks to rebuild a franchise from the ground up.

That part is over. I’m not sure how much more clearly that can be delineated for folks….going all in with Sergachyov and trying to hit the ground running in a brand new home is not the MO of a franchise looking to swap out one player or blue chip asset for a collection of more future picks. Hell they still have 5,000 picks coming up.

Utah quite clearly loves Iginla, they just picked him 6th overall a couple of months ago.

Complete non-starter. Its time to stop thinking about that franchise as your “waypoint for throwing picks at in every deal”.

Reactions: Mosby and Guitpik

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
Weird but Kane's has to give a list of 16 teams near this years trade deadline ( usually it is in the off season ). Point is there were rumours of teams being interested in Kane and he can be moved at the deadline to create cap space. Having said that with Kane on LTIR it will be a good test to see how the Oilers do without Kane's physical present in the line up. If they are good without Kane he can be moved along with picks for a upgrade on
I thought his NMC kicks in after the deadline, so it’s as good as the offseason

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Sure then keep Edmonton out of this and trade Iginla to Flames for Weeger. Figure out which side needs to add.
Utah does not need picks. This isn’t the first few years of the Armstrong regime where the only goal was to get picks to rebuild a franchise from the ground up.

That part is over. I’m not sure how much more clearly that can be delineated for folks….going all in with Sergachyov and trying to hit the ground running in a brand new home is not the MO of a franchise looking to swap out one player or blue chip asset for a collection of more future picks. Hell they still have 5,000 picks coming up.

Utah quite clearly loves Iginla, they just picked him 6th overall a couple of months ago.

Complete non-starter. Its time to stop thinking about that franchise as your “waypoint for throwing picks at in every deal”.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC

Matt Savoie (C)

Why would Utah consider this? They dont need to trade a top prospect for more futures that wont help for 3 or 4 years down the road.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Still stuck in Forum 40
If UtHC were to trade Tij, it would have happened at the draft (6th OA) and the Flames would have offered more than just their 1st (9th OA), like Andersson, It didn't happen. Maybe if Yakemchuk was there at 9th, but that's just speculation.
GMBA seems quite satisfied with Tij and I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up being a top center.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
If UtHC were to trade Tij, it would have happened at the draft (6th OA) and the Flames would have offered more than just their 1st (9th OA), like Andersson, It didn't happen. Maybe if Yakemchuk was there at 9th, but that's just speculation.
GMBA seems quite satisfied with Tij and I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up being a top center.
Huh? Tij is a great prospect. The notion that he can play center is baffling to me. His meteoric rise coincided perfectly with his move to the wing. He's not a center. Playing him there would be a massive mistake. Keep him at wing, his skill set thrives there.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Still stuck in Forum 40
Huh? Tij is a great prospect. The notion that he can play center is baffling to me. His meteoric rise coincided perfectly with his move to the wing. He's not a center. Playing him there would be a massive mistake. Keep him at wing, his skill set thrives there.
This is what I got from listening to GMBA and I wouldn't want to 2nd guess him. It is more important who his linemates will be than where they end up as a position. Ironically I think he will eventually be paired with Josh Doan.

Kaizen

Sep 30, 2004
Prince George B.C.
As I understand it, the plan is to have Tij move to center in Kelowna. He's played C growing up. How well that transition back to center goes, only time will tell.

Reactions: Schemp

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Savoie has the value of Ryan McLeod. Why don't so many people think the Sabres did the Oilers some sort of favor?
And Savoie's value when drafted was as high if not higher than T Iginla.
And Oilers could've been forced to pay a 4th to a club to take McLeod at full cap hit due to its cap crunch ala Ceci trade.
Savoie was a steal for Oilers.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad