Proposal: EDM-UTA -CGY

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
:flames

Tij Iginla (LW) (6th OA 2024 draft)

:Utah

Matt Savoie (C)
1st Round pick (EDM, 2026) -no protection
1st Round pick (EDM, 2027) -no protection
2nd round pick (EDM, 2025)

:edmonton
Mackenzie Weegar (RHD, $5.75 Million AAV X4)
1 Million retained by Utah

This assumes Weegar will waive for Edmonton and E. Kane remains on the LTIR for the remainder of the season. Admittedly, big assumptions.

Calgary wanted to draft Tij and as I understand it pretty badly. Utah beat them to it. It's tough to come up with a three team trade and make a proposal that is fair for all sides.

Edit: Some have argued the Oilers are giving up too much in this deal. If Savoie is removed, do we feel this is fairer?

Last edited:

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

Matt Savoie (C)

This assumes Weegar will waive for Edmonton and E. Kane remains on the LTIR for the remainder of the season. Admittedly, big assumptions.

Calgary wanted to draft Tij and as I understand it pretty badly. Utah beat them to it. It's tough to come up with a three team trade and make a proposal that is fair for all sides.
Oilers go polite no

You can remove the oilers from the deal

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
That's absurd no team is giving that many first for weeger plus a blue chip.

I assume that those picks end up being late 1sts.

I also assume Weegar isn't sticking around for a rebuild in Calgary.

Good point though, if you feel that is an overpay.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014

Matt Savoie (C)

:cool: as a Flames fan I would just trade Weegar with $1M retained direct to Edmonton for Savoie, the 2 unprotected 1sts, and the 2nd.

Oilers go polite no

You can remove the oilers from the deal
Except its a proposal originated by an Oilers fan OR maybe a Utah fan who dislikes but doesn't hate the Oilers and Flames

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
wtf-joe-pesci.gif

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
:cool: as a Flames fan I would just trade Weegar with $1M retained direct to Edmonton for Savoie, the 2 unprotected 1sts, and the 2nd.

Except its a proposal originated by an Oilers fan OR maybe a Utah fan who dislikes but doesn't hate the Oilers and Flames

Oiler fan here.

I see the 1sts and in the 30s. So really, late late 1sts. I don't value those the way I do a good NHL player.

maybe a fairer trade would drop Matt Savoie out of the equation?

This is an all in trade, the kind I hope to see the Oilers make when going for the Cup this year.

Reactions: Czechboy

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
I like the thinking... we need a RHD that is a legit top 4. Hoping Bowman can pull of some kind of a trade for a RHD and go all in during the season. Happy to lose prospects. Happy to lose picks. Happy to lose certain roster players. Get us a RHD... Weegar would be a good target.

Reactions: TFHockey

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013

Ahh that changes things.
Lol @ one Oil fan

Remove Savoie and it's close.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Ahh that changes things.
Lol @ one Oil fan

Remove Savoie and it's close.
no as a Flames fan, Savoie, 2 1sts and a 2nd is exactly what the Flames should want as a return to get them to think about moving Weegar with retention.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
no as a Flames fan, Savoie, 2 1sts and a 2nd is exactly what the Flames should want as a return to get them to think about moving Weegar with retention.
In that case lol @ flames fan

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
In that case lol @ flames fan
the Flames are not looking to move Weegar so to get them interested in moving them the offer has to blow their doors off. 2 1sts and a 2nd doesn't do it.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
The part that bugs me about this proposal is that the valuations make no sense. Do you really think Tij Iginla, MacKenzie Weegar, and 3 1st round picks are all equal in value?

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I like how the oilers are given up the equivalent of 3 first rounders and in the other thread it is only 1 for the Canucks

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
the Flames are not looking to move Weegar so to get them interested in moving them the offer has to blow their doors off. 2 1sts and a 2nd doesn't do it.
You are right . A cap dump would also need to go to CGY along with multiple 1sts + 2nd.
A deal similar to Ekholm from STL to EDM

Reactions: VainGretzky

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
That's insane pronger didn't return that but weeger will lol

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton

The part that bugs me about this proposal is that the valuations make no sense. Do you really think Tij Iginla, MacKenzie Weegar, and 3 1st round picks are all equal in value?

Well, like I said, I expect these firsts to be in the 30-32 range.

If Weegar wants out of Calgary, and he may if he doesn't want to stick around for a rebuild, Tij Iginla is a forward the Flames would want to target.

I suppose if the Oilers take out Matt Savoie it could be fairer, sure. I am not sure what they have in him yet.

The extra 2nd is for retention on Utah's part. It is for four years after all.

I don't see the Oilers and the Flames dealing directly with one another in a big trade. I think Utah has the forward Calgary wants, and the Flames have the RHD the Oilers want.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
I don;t disagree that it would be an insane return for Weegar what makes it more insane is that the OP had that return going to UTAH who only gave up Tij Iginla. I just cut out Utah and said if that was what was offered for Weegar then the Flames would take it over Iginla.

but Pronger definitely returned more

Smid was a 2004 7th OA pick so he would be approx. equal to Savoie
2 1sts = 2 1sts
a 2nd = a 2nd

then what puts Pronger deal at more valuable is Lupal who was drafted 7th OA in 2002 and just scored 28 goals as a rookie for the ducks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad