Proposal: EDM/SJ

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
He's probably not worth more than a 3rd, but I don't think we have any reason to trade him.
Probably not worth more than a 3rd? He was traded for a 7th round pick a couple of months ago. Why would his value have changed since then?

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Nurse isn't a bad player, the way he's denigrated is an exaggeration, he'd be the Sharks best D by far, but his contract his a non starter

He's a quality second pairing defenseman who's paid like a Norris Trophy candidate for 6 more seasons, the Sharks JUST got done liquidating enough bad contracts to finally have flexibility under the cap, they are in a position to take on cap dumps but not with term, Nurse will still have 3 years left under contract when Celebrini and Smith's ELCs are over, we can't fit him into our future plans

BillR10

Nov 16, 2008
Probably not worth more than a 3rd? He was traded for a 7th round pick a couple of months ago. Why would his value have changed since then?
Small sample size showed a player pacing 20 goals 40 points and played with grit. Why wouldn't his value to the sharks be more than what they gave up? He's probably not worth a 3rd at this point but the Sharks have 0 reason to move him unless it's for value

Reactions: jMoneyBrah

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
All this nurse talk is so exaggerated. Any player that has a bad playoffs is automatically not an NHL player anymore but he'll come into next season and still provide value as a defender. Overpaid? Absolutely. Valueless? Classic Hf hivemind mentality
The issue isn’t that he was bad in the playoffs, it’s that he’s signed for way too long at way too high a cap hit.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Nurse isn't a bad player, the way he's denigrated is an exaggeration, he'd be the Sharks best D by far, but his contract his a non starter

He's a quality second pairing defenseman who's paid like a Norris Trophy candidate for 6 more seasons, the Sharks JUST got done liquidating enough bad contracts to finally have flexibility under the cap, they are in a position to take on cap dumps but not with term, Nurse will still have 3 years left under contract when Celebrini and Smith's ELCs are over, we can't fit him into our future plans
I agree with the general take but don't think he's a quality 2nd pairing.

But yeah, the person saying that they'd rather have Vlasic on Nurse's contract than the other way around have gone way overboard.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
The issue isn’t that he was bad in the playoffs, it’s that he’s signed for way too long at way too high a cap hit.
Yes a few people are level headed enough to realize this the rest like to play the hes not an NHL player harp so he has zero value even if his contract has retention to bring it down to 7ish.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Yes a few people are level headed enough to realize this the rest like to play the hes not an NHL player harp so he has zero value even if his contract has retention to bring it down to 7ish.
I mean he really does have 0 value to SJ even if you retain down that low. This is one of those that SJ is not the right team for Nurse. The cap dumps they’d be looking at are max three years because at that time we are hopefully having to have huge contracts for Smith, Celebrini, Eklund, and a few other young guys. We just spent the past couple years getting that flexibility with the cap with the Hertl, EK, and Burns trades. It’s going to cost a lot to get us to sacrifice that flexibility especially at a position where we have multiple young guys breaking in.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
That's fine, we will just pick him off the waivers in October then.
Kostin? How much depth do you think the Sharks have? :laugh: he scored 10 points in his 19 games with SJ and offers a physical edge that very few other players have on that team. It’s more likely Kostin plays top 6 minutes than is on waivers at this moment.

Reactions: CupfortheSharks

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton

A very rational take.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
As a Sharks fan, I’d be interested in Nurse starting with $2.75M in retention. I’d also be interested in leveraging the Sharks cap space for draft assets; maybe adding Campbell with $1.25M in retention.

My idea is that the Sharks could buyout Campbell, absorbing 75% of the cap cost. Campbell would hit Edmonton’s cap to the tune of $275k, $575k, $650k, $375k, $375k, $375k over the next 6 years (triple those numbers for the Sharks).

In aggregate this would net Edmonton about $51M in cap flexibility, at roughly $11M in cap relief for the next three seasons, and a bit over $6M the following three. This would result in Edmonton carrying an average of roughly $3.2M in dead cap for six years, and would occupy two of their three retention spots during that time. A mildly painful mulligan on two difficult contracts.

In return, Sharks would need some draft assets to make all this worth their while. Say Edmonton’s ‘24 2nd and ‘26 first with no conditions.

I expect both fanbases will hate this with the fire of a thousand suns.
Actually from the Oiler's perspective if they wanted to move on from Nurse this would be a reasonable way to do so. But I suspect that Nurse will want to stay and since he has a full NMC that pretty much nixes that. I also think that management see's more value in Nurse than most Oiler fans do.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
It helps to actually know the team that he's on at this point and what he's done in the limited time he's been there.

No one in their right mind would overpay for Klim Kostin, and this is coming from a guy who liked him when he was here.

The Sharks can fill that roster spot with anyone floating around after free agency.

ThePlanet

Aug 13, 2008
San Jose
I agree with the general take but don't think he's a quality 2nd pairing.

But yeah, the person saying that they'd rather have Vlasic on Nurse's contract than the other way around have gone way overboard.

Coincidentally, if Nurse were making Vlasic's AAV, one might be able to argue that he provides decent value given what he's paid. They would still be wrong, but it would be a less egregious stance to take.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
No one in their right mind would overpay for Klim Kostin, and this is coming from a guy who liked him when he was here.

The Sharks can fill that roster spot with anyone floating around after free agency.
Considering how lacking the Sharks are in NHL talent, they're not going to trade someone like Kostin who gave them 10 points in 19 games to finish last season for a 5th round pick or something like that. They're also not just going to find someone similar in the amount that they'd need to make Kostin expendable. They're likely looking at bringing four forwards in w/o any sort of removal at this stage. The Sharks aren't ever going to be huge free agency players and finding five different forward answers to make Kostin expendable is a bit of a reach.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

Yeah, 6’3” 25 year old wingers who scored at a 40 point pace on the Sharks are just all over the market for cheap and definitely choose to sign with us.

No one is saying that he’s super valuable, just that he does provide value to the Sharks are we aren’t giving him up unless you make it worth our while.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Kostin? How much depth do you think the Sharks have? :laugh: he scored 10 points in his 19 games with SJ and offers a physical edge that very few other players have on that team. It’s more likely Kostin plays top 6 minutes than is on waivers at this moment.
As much as they want to have. They're at the very beginning of the rebuild cycle.

They have endless cap space to either sign short term reclamation project or take on bad contracts for draft capital. And they have plenty of runway for their prospects to earn roles.

Kostin is a guy who has a reputation of burning bridges with his coaches. Loses his spot fairly quickly wherever he goes. That cap hit isn't helping him any. I'm not sure a team would take him if he was waived.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
As much as they want to have. They're at the very beginning of the rebuild cycle.

They have endless cap space to either sign short term reclamation project or take on bad contracts for draft capital. And they have plenty of runway for their prospects to earn roles.

Kostin is a guy who has a reputation of burning bridges with his coaches. Loses his spot fairly quickly wherever he goes. That cap hit isn't helping him any. I'm not sure a team would take him if he was waived.
Again he had 10 points in 19 games and adds that physicality that Grier is preaching.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Again he had 10 points in 19 games and adds that physicality that Grier is preaching.
Acknowledged. His production in Edmonton was good, too. It didn't get him much rope though. It did price him out of there though. I don't want him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad