Proposal: EDM/SJ

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
As much as they want to have. They're at the very beginning of the rebuild cycle.

They have endless cap space to either sign short term reclamation project or take on bad contracts for draft capital. And they have plenty of runway for their prospects to earn roles.

Kostin is a guy who has a reputation of burning bridges with his coaches. Loses his spot fairly quickly wherever he goes. That cap hit isn't helping him any. I'm not sure a team would take him if he was waived.
I sincerely doubt any team is going to give the Sharks any value for Kostin at this stage but he did produce for them in a short run to finish last season. I'm failing to see the motivation to give up on him when bad contract trades are becoming less likely and less fruitful with a rising cap and free agency hasn't been a viable route for the Sharks addressing anything beyond depth roles. We're not likely to have enough options to bring in to make Kostin expendable. If teams don't think they'd even take him off waivers, why would we move him for what little they'd offer in a trade? He produced at a 2nd line level and should see if he can replicate it more than they need the 5th or 6th round pick a team might fork over for him.

Reactions: Gecklund

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I sincerely doubt any team is going to give the Sharks any value for Kostin at this stage but he did produce for them in a short run to finish last season. I'm failing to see the motivation to give up on him when bad contract trades are becoming less likely and less fruitful with a rising cap and free agency hasn't been a viable route for the Sharks addressing anything beyond depth roles. We're not likely to have enough options to bring in to make Kostin expendable. If teams don't think they'd even take him off waivers, why would we move him for what little they'd offer in a trade? He produced at a 2nd line level and should see if he can replicate it more than they need the 5th or 6th round pick a team might fork over for him.
I agree. I was just chiming in about Kostin specifically. He's a divisive player that does the things that fans like and he has a very likable personality to go along with it. Great player to have for a team in what's likely to be a long rebuild.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Yeah, 6’3” 25 year old wingers who scored at a 40 point pace on the Sharks are just all over the market for cheap and definitely choose to sign with us.

No one is saying that he’s super valuable, just that he does provide value to the Sharks are we aren’t giving him up unless you make it worth our while.
Most real GMs look more skeptically at small sample sizes, especially at the end of the season on teams that aren't playing for anything. Like Taro Hirose playing at a 56 pt pace for DET in late '19 season.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Most real GMs look more skeptically at small sample sizes, especially at the end of the season on teams that aren't playing for anything. Like Taro Hirose playing at a 56 pt pace for DET in late '19 season.
Sure, and Kostin could flame out completely. Bottom line is that I’d rather give him a shot than trade him for nothing. Like I said, I’m not expecting him to have value on the trade market, I’m just stating that the Sharks shouldn’t and won’t trade him for nothing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad