Proposal: EDM/SJ

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
No thanks. Vlasic only has two more years on his contract and can easily be buried and Kostin is actually a solid player. We have plenty of cap space over the next three years and can afford to let the Vlasic contract play out, but I have no interest in tying up $9.25M in a middle pairing defenseman into the Celebrini era.

Retain $2-3M, then we could talk… although I of course don’t expect Edmonton to do that. I think you’re just gonna have to live with him.

Kelevra

Mar 6, 2007
No thanks. Vlasic only has two more years on his contract and can easily be buried and Kostin is actually a solid player. We have plenty of cap space over the next three years and can afford to let the Vlasic contract play out, but I have no interest in tying up $9.25M in a middle pairing defenseman into the Celebrini era.

Retain $2-3M, then we could talk… although I of course don’t expect Edmonton to do that. I think you’re just gonna have to live with him.
Retain 2m and not trade for Vlasic? I would do that. If I have to trade for Vlasic too then no.

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
As a Sharks fan, I’d be interested in Nurse starting with $2.75M in retention. I’d also be interested in leveraging the Sharks cap space for draft assets; maybe adding Campbell with $1.25M in retention.

My idea is that the Sharks could buyout Campbell, absorbing 75% of the cap cost. Campbell would hit Edmonton’s cap to the tune of $275k, $575k, $650k, $375k, $375k, $375k over the next 6 years (triple those numbers for the Sharks).

In aggregate this would net Edmonton about $51M in cap flexibility, at roughly $11M in cap relief for the next three seasons, and a bit over $6M the following three. This would result in Edmonton carrying an average of roughly $3.2M in dead cap for six years, and would occupy two of their three retention spots during that time. A mildly painful mulligan on two difficult contracts.

In return, Sharks would need some draft assets to make all this worth their while. Say Edmonton’s ‘24 2nd and ‘26 first with no conditions.

I expect both fanbases will hate this with the fire of a thousand suns.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
As a Sharks fan, I’d be interested in Nurse starting with $2.75M in retention. I’d also be interested in leveraging the Sharks cap space for draft assets; maybe adding Campbell with $1.25M in retention.

My idea is that the Sharks could buyout Campbell, absorbing 75% of the cap cost. Campbell would hit Edmonton’s cap to the tune of $275k, $575k, $650k, $375k, $375k, $375k over the next 6 years (triple those numbers for the Sharks).

In aggregate this would net Edmonton about $57M in cap flexibility, at roughly $11M in cap relief for the next three seasons, and a bit over $6M the following three. This would result in Edmonton carrying an average of roughly $3.2M in dead cap for six years, and would occupy two of their three retention spots during that time. A mildly painful mulligan on two contracts Edmonton likely regrets.

In return, Sharks would need some draft assets to make all this worth their while. Say ‘24 2nd and a ‘26 first with no conditions.

I expect both fanbases will hate this with the fire of a thousand suns.
I think the trade you proposed is largely acceptable if we get past the trade protections in the contracts that would make it unlikely. I just don't think Edmonton would agree to that sort of retention while also forking over a draft pick that very well could be in the top five if Draisaitl walks this offseason. If we're talking about this sort of unlikely event due to trade protections, I'd like to make it to where we move Vlasic back in the process.

Sharkz4Fun

Feb 8, 2023
You'd rather have Vlasic with 6 more years at 9.25 than Nurse at 2 more years at 7 per???
No I actually don't think I would since I forgot Nurse has SIXXX more years left. Lol. Good luck Oiler fans. I can't believe we complained about Vlasic's contract. It has to be between him and huberdeau for the worst contract in league history. At least the Flames and Oilers fans can drink together in the mountains.

• Haha
Reactions: OversKy

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
No, we will not take the Nurse contract under any circumstances

The only teams that i think could even conceivably entertain the idea of taking on Nurse's contract, are ones with an equally bad, huge money, long-term deal to swap as an offset. And quite honestly...there are only one or two other contracts in the league that are even in that same neighbourhood of awfulness.

You're basically talking...the Flames with Huberdeau, Kings with Dubois potentially, and...maybe Seth Jones, though he's still at least a better player. But i think that's about the extent of the list. Combine that with Nurse holding trade protection and presumably wanting to continue playing out his career with McDavid and Co...and i think Edmonton are basically just stuck with him. Really catastrophic mistake by their management, but what's done is done and there's not much you can really do about it now. :dunno:

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
The only teams that i think could even conceivably entertain the idea of taking on Nurse's contract, are ones with an equally bad, huge money, long-term deal to swap as an offset. And quite honestly...there are only one or two other contracts in the league that are even in that same neighbourhood of awfulness.

You're basically talking...the Flames with Huberdeau, Kings with Dubois potentially, and...maybe Seth Jones, though he's still at least a better player. But i think that's about the extent of the list. Combine that with Nurse holding trade protection and presumably wanting to continue playing out his career with McDavid and Co...and i think Edmonton are basically just stuck with him. Really catastrophic mistake by their management, but what's done is done and there's not much you can really do about it now. :dunno:
What's crazy is I don't think Edmonton would swap Nurse for PLD one for one

Reactions: Macheteops

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
All this nurse talk is so exaggerated. Any player that has a bad playoffs is automatically not an NHL player anymore but he'll come into next season and still provide value as a defender. Overpaid? Absolutely. Valueless? Classic Hf hivemind mentality
Every year since he signed he’s had a bad playoffs.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
Every year since he signed he’s had a bad playoffs.
Incorrect he helped the team get to the conference finals without Ekholm on the team so he got all the toughest match ups. He was fine last year as well in fact him getting suspended for game five against Las Vegas is a big reason we lost that series in 6. Even this playoffs his play didn't drop dramatically until the Dallas series and this is all while being paired with Cody human minus Ceci.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Incorrect he helped the team get to the conference finals without Ekholm on the team so he got all the toughest match ups. He was fine last year as well in fact him getting suspended for game five against Las Vegas is a big reason we lost that series in 6. Even this playoffs his play didn't drop dramatically until the Dallas series and this is all while being paired with Cody human minus Ceci.
Even still, I don't see why he would waive his NMC when he still can compete for a Cup with Draisaitl and McDavid. Maybe when one or both of them walk, Nurse will be open to a trade but I don't see how now and how San Jose when they're so far off.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
I think the trade you proposed is largely acceptable if we get past the trade protections in the contracts that would make it unlikely. I just don't think Edmonton would agree to that sort of retention while also forking over a draft pick that very well could be in the top five if Draisaitl walks this offseason. If we're talking about this sort of unlikely event due to trade protections, I'd like to make it to where we move Vlasic back in the process.
What would you guys want for Kostin at the draft?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad