Proposal: EDM - SEA Goalie Swap+

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
:edmonton

Phillip Grubauer 30, G ($5.9 Million AAV until 2027, NTC and then M-NTC) 3.30 GAA .882 sv% this year
Mark Giordano 38, LHD @ 50% ($3.375 Million AAV last year then UFA)
Carson Soucy 27, LHD ($2.75 Million AAV for this year and next, then UFA)
Mason Appleton 25, C ($900,000 AAV last year and then RFA)

Total $$$ coming in: $12.925 Million

:seattle

Mikko Koskinen 33 G ($4.5 Million AAV last year then UFA) 3.19 GAA .900 sv% this year
Duncan Keith 38 LHD ($5.538 Million AAV this year and next, then UFA)
William Lagesson 25 LHD ($725,000 AAV this year then RFA)
Derek Ryan 35 C ($1.25 Million AAV this year and next, then UFA)

Oilers 2022 1st, 2023 2nd

Total coming in $12.013 Million + retention of $3.375 Million for the remainder of this year only.

I think the Oilers get an upgrade at every position with Grubauer being the biggest gamble, a long term contract with a fair amount of cap tied up if he does not work out. Edmonton remakes the left side this year and has a bit more cap room afterwards. This allows them to make a charge at the playoffs this year.

Seattle clears a long term contract in Grubauer out and has a ton of cap room next year plus a 1st and a 2nd. Fair?

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
I think Edmonton needs to add another piece. And not a random spare part.

Oilers would be improving depth at every position, while clearing out older cap hits for younger versions. A team like Seattle doesn't necessarily need to put that much value in clearing cap space, as they already have a ton of it, and aren't competing. They'd be eyeing one of your top prospects.

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Seems a little light for Seattle considering they might be able to get more trading some of those pieces separately. Probably easier to try and work through a Grubauer/Soucy for Koski/Keith base with Oilers adding picks to balance it out.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I think adding Keith and Giordano overcomplicates this... both are part of leadership (like it or not) in their current locations and in Keith's case, he chose to be here for family reasons.

I also agree with others that Seattle could get more for Soucy, Appleton and Grubauer separately, so we need to add some futures to make it worthwhile.

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
I think adding Keith and Giordano overcomplicates this... both are part of leadership (like it or not) in their current locations and in Keith's case, he chose to be here for family reasons.

I also agree with others that Seattle could get more for Soucy, Appleton and Grubauer separately, so we need to add some futures to make it worthwhile.

I believe Keith's family issues are him wanting to be closer to his son who lives in BC. Seattle would actually be closer.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Grubauer is having one of the worst seasons of any starting goalie in the NHL in the modern era - his GAx is over twice as bad as the next worst goalie. I'm not sure why Edmonton would want to gamble the season on him.

And Seattle would probably do better just selling off Soucy, Appleton and Giordano (although they should keep Appleton). They can easily ride out Grubauer's contract for now and hope for a bounce-back.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I won't pretend to know what's going on in Seattle, but I can't imagine that trading Appleton and Soucy in a futures deal is high on their list of priorities. I also think Francis would want more coming back to take on all of those pieces. Leave out the d-men, that won't happen in this type of deal. Let's sort it out based on this:

To Edmonton - Philip Grubauer (5.9M) and Mason Appleton (900K)

To Seattle - Mikko Koskinen (4.5M - expiring), Kailer Yamamoto (1.175M), Kyle Turris (1.650M), 2nd round pick, mid round pick

The 2nd round pick is for Grubauer and taking on Koskinen, Appleton and Yamamoto are nearly a wash, and Turris needs to be included for the cap to work, so we're tossing in a mid round pick to compensate for that.

I think Giordano and Soucy are guys that Seattle can move separately if they want to for decent returns. I would old onto Soucy long term if was them, but Gio can possibly even bring back a first. I could see Calgary bringing him back for a playoff run.

I think we would need to focus on improving our defense depth through a different trade. I just don't see how it can happen in this one.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I don't do this as Seattle.

I think Edmonton needs to add another piece. And not a random spare part.

Oilers would be improving depth at every position, while clearing out older cap hits for younger versions. A team like Seattle doesn't necessarily need to put that much value in clearing cap space, as they already have a ton of it, and aren't competing. They'd be eyeing one of your top prospects.

Seems a little light for Seattle considering they might be able to get more trading some of those pieces separately. Probably easier to try and work through a Grubauer/Soucy for Koski/Keith base with Oilers adding picks to balance it out.

I don't see anyone in that list warranting a top prospect but I could be convinced to offer another piece to make it fairer. Like a B prospect?

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I don't see anyone in that list warranting a top prospect but I could be convinced to offer another piece to make it fairer. Like a B prospect?
I think the biggest issue is how to value Grubauer. He's been awful in Seattle, but I don't think GM's are in the business of selling guys at an all time low value after only a few months on the team. I can see why other GM's wouldn't want to pay much for him, but its probably not worth it for Francis to just give him away at his lowest value either.

Reactions: Bear of Bad News

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
I won't pretend to know what's going on in Seattle, but I can't imagine that trading Appleton and Soucy in a futures deal is high on their list of priorities. I also think Francis would want more coming back to take on all of those pieces. Leave out the d-men, that won't happen in this type of deal. Let's sort it out based on this:

To Edmonton - Philip Grubauer (5.9M) and Mason Appleton (900K)

To Seattle - Mikko Koskinen (4.5M - expiring), Kailer Yamamoto (1.175M), Kyle Turris (1.650M), 2nd round pick, mid round pick

The 2nd round pick is for Grubauer and taking on Koskinen, Appleton and Yamamoto are nearly a wash, and Turris needs to be included for the cap to work, so we're tossing in a mid round pick to compensate for that.

I think Giordano and Soucy are guys that Seattle can move separately if they want to for decent returns. I would old onto Soucy long term if was them, but Gio can possibly even bring back a first. I could see Calgary bringing him back for a playoff run.

I think we would need to focus on improving our defense depth through a different trade. I just don't see how it can happen in this one.

As a Kraken fan, I would be all for this. I mean it COULD be premature to move Grubauer since he's only played a little over 20 games on an expansion team, but that contract is VERY long if he doesn't rebound. Koskinen's expiring contract is attractive as hell. Your idea feels too good for Seattle, but maybe Grubauer would fit in better with the system Edmonton plays (is that possible? haha)

Soucy and Gio should be able to get more from another team than being involved in a deal with Edmonton, so I agree on that.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I think the biggest issue is how to value Grubauer. He's been awful in Seattle, but I don't think GM's are in the business of selling guys at an all time low value after only a few months on the team. I can see why other GM's wouldn't want to pay much for him, but its probably not worth it for Francis to just give him away at his lowest value either.

I admit, I am at a loss as to how to value Grubauer.

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
Lol why would Oiler add picks to this Grubauer has been garbage and his contract is for another 5 years.

Reactions: Homesick

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

Phillip Grubauer 30, G ($5.9 Million AAV until 2027, NTC and then M-NTC) 3.30 GAA .882 sv% this year

Mikko Koskinen 33 G ($4.5 Million AAV last year then UFA) 3.19 GAA .900 sv% this year

Total coming in $12.013 Million + retention of $3.375 Million for the remainder of this year only.

I think the Oilers get an upgrade at every position with Grubauer being the biggest gamble, a long term contract with a fair amount of cap tied up if he does not work out. Edmonton remakes the left side this year and has a bit more cap room afterwards. This allows them to make a charge at the playoffs this year.

Seattle clears a long term contract in Grubauer out and has a ton of cap room next year plus a 1st and a 2nd. Fair?

f***ing awful for Seattle. WhatEdmonton sends back in players are cap d7mps for actual assets snd it only costs a 1st and 2nd. ???

Reality check.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
f***ing awful for Seattle. WhatEdmonton sends back in players are cap d7mps for actual assets snd it only costs a 1st and 2nd. ???

Reality check.

Take a closer look. The Oilers send out short term cap and take on a really long contract in Grubauer. Who could be really good like he was two years ago. Or really bad, as he is this year.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I believe Keith's family issues are him wanting to be closer to his son who lives in BC. Seattle would actually be closer.

True, Penticton, right? thanks for the reminder... but I thought it was more about COVID border crossing and the risk of having play in a US-only or Canada-only division. In any case, the border is open (and was always open to Canadian citizens), but the logistics of tracking down a PCR (Canada Customs doesn't accept rapid antigen test) to get home to family would still complicate things, especially if you've only got a day or two off. (speaking from experience as a Canadian living in the US)

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
If I am an Oilers fan, I would say no, do I really need another bad goalie?

If I am Seattle I would also say no, why should I do everything to improve the Oilers so I can get a bottom of the 1st pick? I can trade Gio at the TDL for that

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
True, Penticton, right? thanks for the reminder... but I thought it was more about COVID border crossing and the risk of having play in a US-only or Canada-only division. In any case, the border is open (and was always open to Canadian citizens), but the logistics of tracking down a PCR (Canada Customs doesn't accept rapid antigen test) to get home to family would still complicate things, especially if you've only got a day or two off. (speaking from experience as a Canadian living in the US)

I don't think it's too big of an issue if you can pay for it. I have a friend that has been heading down to Seattle from Vancouver every weekend for the last month.

Macheteops

Apr 13, 2005

Not sure where to start. Seattle isn’t getting enough back. I know this is a fantasy trade forum but that deal is massive and just makes things complicated

Would of taken the risk with Grubauer in the off-season but it looks pretty clear that the team in front of him elevated his stats some. Maybe he turns it around but not worth the risk at that salary and Edmonton isn’t known for making goalies look good

And then bringing in a guy that almost ended McDavids career? Also a player on the tail end of his career.

Macheteops

Apr 13, 2005
If I am an Oilers fan, I would say no, do I really need another bad goalie?

If I am Seattle I would also say no, why should I do everything to improve the Oilers so I can get a bottom of the 1st pick? I can trade Gio at the TDL for that

I agree but that pick is getting better by the day

Reactions: DFF

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax

Reality check.

I agree Seattle can get more with out including Grubauer . The question is how do you view him . I think most teams would want to be well compensated to take that contract . Seattle does have the time and cap space to see if he can play himself out of this . Only deal I would do is Kassian and Koskinen for Grubauer .

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB

Just think Seattle would get more than players like Lagesson and Ryan if they trade Gio and Appleton separately. If we break down the OP:

Grubauer/Soucy for Koski/Keith favours the Oilers
Gio @ 50% for Lagesson favours the Oilers
Appleton for Ryan favours the Oilers

Does a mid to late first and a 3rd cover the difference, I don't think so.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad