Rumor: EDM, OTT, TOR, LA among interested in LHD Vladislav Gavrikov

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Lol 2 games played. Barely any AHL time. “Projects to be” indeed. Then your taking a late 1st and late 3rd (might as well call them a 2nd and a 4th).

If CBJ wants 3 magic beans instead of a legit, cost controlled NHL Center then they can knock themselves out.
McLeod isn't that good of a player to this point. Your making him out to be some 20/20 defensive c, news flash he isn't. If I were edmonton I wouldn't be willing to give my first up either though because a 500 team at American Thanksgiving has an uphill battle to make the post season.

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Yeah, no. We don't need roster center depth; we have that already. Center prospects are good. A #1C is good. But #3-4Cs get you a dialtone.

Or, put differently - please somehow elaborate what we'd be getting from McLeod that we don't already get from Liam Foudy.
Look at the Oilers C depth. McDavid and Drai. Then Nuge. Mcleod is stuck in the bottom 6 for that reason, that doesn’t mean he couldn’t take a 2C spot given opportunity and his speed/skill. He was also ranked as a late 1st round talent in his draft year.

If you want an established 1C, you are offering the wrong defenceman. Gavrikov won’t return close to that. If you want potential for a Top 6 C but not established, then we are looking at the right value.

But if you don’t see value in Mcleod that’s fine. I’d probably not do the trade anyways and keep him.

McLeod isn't that good of a player to this point. Your making him out to be some 20/20 defensive c, news flash he isn't. If I were edmonton I wouldn't be willing to give my first up either though because a 500 team at American Thanksgiving has an uphill battle to make the post season.
Edmonton wouldn’t trade a 1st for garbage like Foligno regardless of playoff position. We didn’t last year when we were squarely in.

You don’t know the player Mcleod, that’s fine, we’re not trading with Leafs fans.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Look at the Oilers C depth. McDavid and Drai. Then Nuge. Mcleod is stuck in the bottom 6 for that reason, that doesn’t mean he couldn’t take a 2C spot given opportunity and his speed/skill. He was also ranked as a late 1st round talent in his draft year.

If you want an established 1C, you are offering the wrong defenceman. Gavrikov won’t return close to that. If you want potential for a Top 6 C but not established, then we are looking at the right value.

But if you don’t see value in Mcleod that’s fine. I’d probably not do the trade anyways and keep him.
You didn't answer my question.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012

Edmonton wouldn’t trade a 1st for garbage like Foligno regardless of playoff position. We didn’t last year when we were squarely in.

You don’t know the player Mcleod, that’s fine, we’re not trading with Leafs fans.
No your not trading with Leaf fans, but if you want to trade with any other team for a top 4 D you will need to put more then McLeod on the table.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Don’t know the player. But if you knew that he was a Top 6C you wouldn’t be looking for one.
Thus why, after a quick review of McLeod's skillset (which looks strikingly similar), I'm asking that question to see if the comparable is as close as it looks from the reports I'm seeing.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
No your not trading with Leaf fans, but if you want to trade with any other team for a top 4 D you will need to put more then McLeod on the table.

Depends on Gavrikovs extension possibilities. Mcleod cost controlled for 3+++ years is higher value than 6 months of Gavrikov. Actually now that I think of it, I wouldn’t do the deal, the value of cost controlled assets is too important for the Oilers.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Imagine asking for a ready-now 2C for a rental stay-at-home defenseman.

One certainly would have to imagine, as that ask has not been made here. We insist on a mid-to-late 1st as the core of the return (or the equivalent in a prospect that fits our needs). By and large roster player proposals don't work for either team since our immediate roster needs are far in excess of his actual market value.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Depends on Gavrikovs extension possibilities. Mcleod cost controlled for 3+++ years is higher value than 6 months of Gavrikov. Actually now that I think of it, I wouldn’t do the deal, the value of cost controlled assets is too important for the Oilers.
Okay. That's fair.

Would still have liked an answer to the question, tho. :dunno: (EDIT: got it, thanks :thumbu: )

Last edited:

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Fair enough that is your opinion, just don't hate on others who are serious about acquiring a solid top 4 d and hopefully extending him.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Thus why, after a quick review of McLeod's skillset (which looks strikingly similar), I'm asking that question to see if the comparable is as close as it looks from the reports I'm seeing.

I can only tell you what I know. Mcleod is stuck in a low minutes role. It has nothing to do with ability and everything to do with a team with McDraiNuge as Center options. He’s as fast as McDavid skating without the puck. Responsible in his own end and plays a 200 foot game. Silky smooth hands. Underrated play making. With more opportunity, more production is almost guaranteed. How he compares to Foudy I can’t say cause I don’t watch. But I can tell you HF oil has been talking about Gavrikov for a while now and no one wants to/has suggested Mcleod. We don’t want to get rid of him cause we see the potential.

Reactions: Viqsi

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
We received a first round pick for David Savard rental. Yeah, it was a lower first round pick from a contender, but nonetheless. I consider Gavrikov to be on the same level as Savard was in 20-21
Different drafts, different market. Later 2023 1sts are more valuable as ammunition to move up and a good amount of contenders already spent theirs last deadline. I think only the upper tier of guys like Kane/Horvat/Chychrun are going to pull 2023 1sts this year.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I can only tell you what I know. Mcleod is stuck in a low minutes role. It has nothing to do with ability and everything to do with a team with McDraiNuge as Center options. He’s as fast as McDavid skating without the puck. Responsible in his own end and plays a 200 foot game. Silky smooth hands. Underrated play making. With more opportunity, more production is almost guaranteed. How he compares to Foudy I can’t say cause I don’t watch. But I can tell you HF oil has been talking about Gavrikov for a while now and no one wants to/has suggested Mcleod. We don’t want to get rid of him cause we see the potential.
OK. Still sounds pretty similar to me, but I haven't watched McLeod all that much either; that just tells me it's down to the subtleties and details which would require more direct side-by-side looks.

But yeah, that does sound like someone Edmonton would be better off keeping regardless. Sounds like a disproportionate value type scenario.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
OK. Still sounds pretty similar to me, but I haven't watched McLeod all that much either; that just tells me it's down to the subtleties and details which would require more direct side-by-side looks.

But yeah, that does sound like someone Edmonton would be better off keeping regardless. Sounds like a disproportionate value type scenario.

Honestly they probably are pretty close just looking at box cars and reading the draft scouting reports. You’d have to watch both to know how they are trending these days though.

The contract statuses put the value out of whack. If Gavrikov was in RFA status and he was doing what he was doing, then it’d be flipped and we’d need to add a high pick to McLeod to have a chance.

Reactions: Viqsi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad