Confirmed with Link: [EDM] Oilers extend Leon Draisaitl (8 Years, $14M AAV, NMC)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Pass the Saitl Sauce

Apr 30, 2015
The population of Edmonton is sky rocketing too, Edmonton + areas surrounding it that usually draw in lots of Oiler fans (because frankly what else is there to do in the winter) is headed to 2 million fast.

Being the no.1, no.2, and no.3 sports story in town is a big difference from having to share with an NBA, NFL, MLB teams not to mention college football and basketball being huge in the US also.
Anything north of Edmonton is their market aswell. I live in grande prairie a 5 hour drive and people here will make the drive for random games all the time

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
the Oilers are shown THE MOST on ESPN/TNT this year
the SCF was one of the highest rated Finals in years

this "not a major market" stuff is nonsense and perpetuated by people out East that don't have a clue

I can't find Green Bay on a map but they're one of the biggest franchises in the NFL
all those TNT games means lots of complaining here about the late starts after the first game of the double header finishes. Which means almost 10pm starts for us on the east coast, I doubt many people are watching at that time that weren't watching already because they are fans.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
God the mains are nuts! Everyone is so jealy!

My favourite posts are the ones that break down why the Oilers somehow keep winning in spite of themselves.

Kings - they suck!

Canucks - goalie hurt, refs, Pettersson hurt

Stars - not actually that good now, apparently after being the "deepest team ever!!" for the whole year

Panthers - pretty much swept the Oilers, wasn't close

I hate a bunch of teams in this league, and I REALLY hate a handful of specific teams and there is no doubt that it clouds my objectivity of them at times. However, if I'm going to say something about them against the grain I'll at least try and back it up with some sort of objective logic. A lot of the league's fans (and Nuck/Flame/Leaf specifically) pretty much melt down anytime the Oilers do anything. They throw the equivalent of a temper tantrum pretty much anytime there is positive Oiler news.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
My favourite posts are the ones that break down why the Oilers somehow keep winning in spite of themselves.

Kings - they suck!

Canucks - goalie hurt, refs, Pettersson hurt

Stars - not actually that good now, apparently after being the "deepest team ever!!" for the whole year

Panthers - pretty much swept the Oilers, wasn't close

I hate a bunch of teams in this league, and I REALLY hate a handful of specific teams and there is no doubt that it clouds my objectivity of them at times. However, if I'm going to say something about them against the grain I'll at least try and back it up with some sort of objective logic. A lot of the league's fans (and Nuck/Flame/Leaf specifically) pretty much melt down anytime the Oilers do anything. They throw the equivalent of a temper tantrum pretty much anytime there is positive Oiler news.

It absolutely pains them to know that the Oilers are the most successful Canadian team in over a decade

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
It absolutely pains them to know that the Oilers are the most successful Canadian team in over a decade

But they aren't!

The Leafs are actually way better, but in a better division so the losses don't count.

The Canucks actually should have won last year, almost beat Vegas in the bubble, and have significantly better depth now!

The Flames WON THE DIVISION in 2022, which the Oilers haven't done since 1987 (LOL!)

There is always something, and I love reading it. Watching these clowns squirm is one of the better parts of beating their ass.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
You’d be surprised. I think McDavid could easily be a 100 point guy at that age. Even into his early 40’s.
Crosby is still a difference maker. Ovechkin, who's a bit older, regressed, but still a top 6 forward.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I don't think it will ever "get ugly". People understand that hockey players are not immune to aging, and that McDrai will both be shadows of their former selves by the time their 3rd contracts are over. Nobody is expecting them to score 50g or 100p when they are 37 years old.
Lemieux scored at a 145 point pace at the age of 35 after not playing hockey for 3 years in a season where only one player other than Jagr hit 100 points. I wouldn't put a limit on what McDavid can do. Same goes for Drai given that Kopitar just had a season that was basically his career average and he just turned 37.

Superstar players don't fall off the way that some other guys do. Even a guy like Hyman is just getting better into his 30's.

Can't wait to watch Leon cook this season with some actual top 6 wingers.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Crosby is still a difference maker. Ovechkin, who's a bit older, regressed, but still a top 6 forward.
Not only that fast guys generally age better. Remember how good Teemu Selanne still was in his 40’s? He was still putting up PPG seasons. Even lesser players like former Oiler Jason Chimera or a guy like Matt Cullen. Guys with good wheels age even better because they can lose a step and still be faster than most people. McDavid can lose a couple steps and still be fast. He’s going to age very, very well.

Reactions: walktheboulavard

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Not only that fast guys generally age better. Remember how good Teemu Selanne still was in his 40’s? He was still putting up PPG seasons. Even lesser players like former Oiler Jason Chimera or a guy like Matt Cullen. Guys with good wheels age even better because they can lose a step and still be faster than most people. McDavid can lose a couple steps and still be fast. He’s going to age very, very well.
no reason Draisaitl can't be good into his mid-thirties either
Joe Thornton wasn't a burner and he managed 82 points at age 36

Reactions: Oilhawks

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
It depends, I think. Some fast players become less effective with age if speed was their main thing. Guys like Crosby, Datsyuk, St.Louis are all around good. Fast, quick, skilled, strong, even when undersized. On the other hand, you have Jagr and Thornton, who were not the fastest even in their prime but still remained productive in the twilight of their careers. McDavid should be fine if he stays healthy.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
no reason Draisaitl can't be good into his mid-thirties either
Joe Thornton wasn't a burner and he managed 82 points at age 36
Drai will age well also for different reasons. He’s so smart and has such good vision he doesn’t need speed to be effective. He played on one leg and torched the flames for 17 points in 5 games in that 2022 series. His shot is unreal also. I think he could be similar to old man Jagr.

kevy9999

Mar 10, 2023
True if you have wheels you can last longer. That's why Gretzky looked like he should of retired a few years before age 38. He just looked like a different player. Grerzky never was a speedster but when he had the puck nobody could catch him. In his mid to late 30's he just lost so much of his jump

Oilers333

Jul 8, 2022
Id rather have Drai and Mcdavid on the team at any number over not having them. However with Drai now at 14, assuming Mcd comes in around 16 and Bouch around 10. History does not serve us well and if the patterns continue this likely sinks are chances at a cup. Unless they go absolutely super nova one playoffs. Which is certainly possible. Which just makes this last season that much more difficult to swallow. This season coming before we have to lock in Mcd and Bouch is likely going to be the absolute best opportunity going forward unless the cap jumps significantly.

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
True if you have wheels you can last longer. That's why Gretzky looked like he should of retired a few years before age 38. He just looked like a different player. Grerzky never was a speedster but when he had the puck nobody could catch him. In his mid to late 30's he just lost so much of his jump
He still had 90 points in his second-to-last season and that was the DPE.

Reactions: capazzo

Garbo Man

Meh
Oct 15, 2017
Sherwood Park

Attachments

• IMG-20240901-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20240901-WA0001.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 6

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
Holy the mains and cp are full of revisionist crazy time cope. Prior to the signing the city of Edmonton sucks, nobody wants to play there, the stars will bolt, multiple teams are making massive cap space room for him to land, etc etc. Now he’s an aged out superstar, taking the bag, in massive decline and destroying the oilers future.

I guess I knew it would be this way but wow.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
No Leon, no Mcdavid equals no potential cup. Solid contract for one of the leagues best players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad