Proposal: EDM & MTL

Status
Not open for further replies.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
I don't see how we can afford to pay Price his salary. We have too many huge salaries as is.

Swap Koskinen in the deal, maybe another player around 3/4m, 25% retention on Price AAV (in addition to the proposed package). This is highly hypothetical since he won't get traded but as a Habs fan hoping a Canadian team wins the cup, I believe the such a trade greatly increases the chances of the Oilers winning in the next 3 years.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Not even close to get one of the top goalies in the world.

- Bouchard is a decent prospect but not the main type of piece I would be looking for. I don't like his skating.
- Lavoie looks good in the Q and I watch him a lot. His skating is going to hold him back IMO.
- You are asking us to take on a cap dump and not giving any return value for it?

Let's reverse it... Drai (25% retention) for Brook, Ylonen, and a conditional 2nd (1st if the Habs make the stanley cup final) and a cap dump in Weise.

Try this...

- Price ($1.5M retention)
- Rielly or Kulak
for
- Nurse or Klefbom
- 2020 1st
- 2021 2nd

If you want us to take a cap dump for one year in Gagne, add Lavoie or a 2nd.

Habs might focus on youth more and more but why not keep Price? Were are not going to just give him away and do favors to other teams. He is in very good shape and one of the best goalies in the world.
Draisaitl + Bouchard + Lavoie >>> Price + Brook + Ylonen

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Yeah we just got out of a decade of defense hell, and you guys took both Gilbert and Petry from us.

We aren't giving you any of our Top 4 D, even if it is for Price.

We need Danault and Armia more than we need Price (especially at the cost it would take to acquire).

Gaud

May 11, 2017
So potentially 3 firsts for Price, I don't think he would get that kind of value and I'm a big Price fan.

And by the way, you can't just put rd after a number like that. Its 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, etc.

I understand the struggle of a fellow french poster though, have a good day mate

come on, you've never heard of secord round draft picks? :D :D :D

Reactions: McRpro

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Draisaitl + Bouchard + Lavoie >>> Price + Brook + Ylonen

Way to dig your foot in the sand on Price vs Drai. Good job buddy overlooking the point. I already said Drai > Price or even Drai >> Price. You try to double down on it by saying Drai >>>>Price. I don't care and you are getting a bit side tracked now.

The point is Bouchard and Lavoie are decent prospects but not the main pieces we would be looking for if we trade Price. Where is the NHL proven piece?

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
You should see our boards when we lose a game :laugh:. Emotionally violent fans we have and it's one hell of a roller coaster ride in our win one lose one streak.

I'm a Habs fan. Fully aware of the "passion" lol. Just seems odd that two essentially same threads by different posters - to both Alberta teams - would pop up on the same day.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
My point went over your head between Drai and Price. I repeat, the narrative is stealing away top performing players with meh players in your offer. If the Oilers had a top talent at the age of 32, I would of used that comparison but they don't. And for the Record, Drai is not worth 4 times Price. More like 2 at best.

Price is one of the best goalies in the world playing on a team that has defensive issues. You can try to devalue him all you want but you won't get him for that offer. It's not even close and like someone else said, Price don't waive his NMC to go to Edmonton.

I'm not high on Bouchard. Sorry. He is the modern day version of Weber in an era where skating has taken over more than ever before. You can value him high but we are the team you are trying to trade with. So no, Bouchard as the main piece? Sorry, answer is no

I know Lavoie very well cause I live in Halifax. Your not fooling me with him. He has a NHL shot but does not play physical but he does have the strength. His skating is a major concern in terms of him being a top 6F in the NHL. I hope he does well but I don't consider him a sure shot NHL'er

You can try to justify that offer but it won't work

I'm devaluing Price's contract, not the player himself.
When taking contracts and age into consideration, Drai is infinitely more valuable so it's a comparison that you should have never made.

Bouchard and Lavoie isn't a "meh" package. If you're not high on them then why are you bothering asking for them? The Oilers will be glad to keep their "mediocre" prospects.
I don't think the Habs would do this deal because they have several really good D prospects of their own but I know for sure that the Oilers wouldn't touch this deal. Price is too old and signed for too long. Great player, really bad contract.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

VA Oil

Oiler fan in Virginia
Dec 3, 2010
Danville, VA
My point went over your head between Drai and Price. I repeat, the narrative is stealing away top performing players with meh players in your offer. If the Oilers had a top talent at the age of 32, I would of used that comparison but they don't. And for the Record, Drai is not worth 4 times Price. More like 2 at best.

Price is one of the best goalies in the world playing on a team that has defensive issues. You can try to devalue him all you want but you won't get him for that offer. It's not even close and like someone else said, Price don't waive his NMC to go to Edmonton.

I'm not high on Bouchard. Sorry. He is the modern day version of Weber in an era where skating has taken over more than ever before. You can value him high but we are the team you are trying to trade with. So no, Bouchard as the main piece? Sorry, answer is no

I know Lavoie very well cause I live in Halifax. Your not fooling me with him. He has a NHL shot but does not play physical but he does have the strength. His skating is a major concern in terms of him being a top 6F in the NHL. I hope he does well but I don't consider him a sure shot NHL'er

You can try to justify that offer but it won't work

I think Bouchard needs to work on his skating as well. I also think skating can be fixed a lot easier than other problems like hockey I.Q. I still think he has a lot of promise.

As I said earlier the Oilers just don't have the cap room for Price. He is still a great goalie, but we need to pay some players to play in our bottom 6 who can actually score. Koskinen is 5-0 for us this year. That most likely won't continue, but he hasn't been the problem. Secondary scoring has. The Oilers can't be a 1 line team like they are now forever. It's just not sustainable.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think Bouchard needs to work on his skating as well. I also think skating can be fixed a lot easier than other problems like hockey I.Q. I still think he has a lot of promise.

As I said earlier the Oilers just don't have the cap room for Price. He is still a great goalie, but we need to pay some players to play in our bottom 6 who can actually score. Koskinen is 5-0 for us this year. That most likely won't continue, but he hasn't been the problem. Secondary scoring has. The Oilers can't be a 1 line team like they are now forever. It's just not sustainable.

I agree Bouchard has good hockey IQ. He reminds me of Weber back when. But if this kid wants to be a top 4D, he needs to work on edge work and foot speed. It's possible but saying he is the next Coffee? That is a massive stretch. I like Broberg's potential more cause he has higher upside.

Price won't be traded. Not yet. That is talk for a few years down the road if the Habs stall. Oilers can use him for sure but in order for a trade to work, it has to work for both sides and I don't see the pieces being offered worth it for the Habs.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'm devaluing Price's contract, not the player himself.
When taking contracts and age into consideration, Drai is infinitely more valuable so it's a comparison that you should have never made.

Bouchard and Lavoie isn't a "meh" package. If you're not high on them then why are you bothering asking for them? The Oilers will be glad to keep their "mediocre" prospects.
I don't think the Habs would do this deal because they have several really good D prospects of their own but I know for sure that the Oilers wouldn't touch this deal. Price is too old and signed for too long. Great player, really bad contract.

Price's contract and age is not a problem and when you are trying to acquire talent like this, Bouchard and Lavoie is a meh package. Where are the proven pieces?

Price is not too old. He is 32 and you act like he is 37/38 tomorrow. He is one of the best goalies in the world and that's not going to change for a while yet. He is in tip top shape and elite level goalies perform very well in their 30's.

You can't have him so you don't have that problem to decide on :laugh:

I bet you the Oilers won't find a goalie that performs better than Price in the next 7 years.

Highmarker

Oct 31, 2011
The oilers don't have the cap space to put Price in net. Also their issue at the moment is scoring, Koskinen and Smith have been serviceable. Getting Price just ties up more money they need to use for depth scoring.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
the absolute dead last thing Edmonton needs to be doing is shipping off a young top four defenceman for a 32 year old goalie that’s signed until 2067.

That's fine. You can pretend that Price is not a game changer if you wish. You don't get if you don't give. I get that you would prefer to keep your D. I would too but your not going to get one of the best goalies in the world and not give a proven piece in return.

Don't worry, Price likely does not waive his NMC to go to Edmonton. Your safe according to your own narrative

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
It's not as ridiculous as you think. Of course Drai > Price at this point in time but the narrative is stealing away top NHL talent with meh offers. If the Oilers had someone who was top talent at 32, I would used that person vs Drai

Price is 32 and goalies don't decline like players do (especially elite level ones). Do you think Burns at the age of 34 is not worth much cause he is signed till 39? Price has high probability of performing very well in his 30's like other elite level goalies have. Panthers must of been stupid to sign the 31 year old Bob to 7 years at $10M AAV eh.

You are not going to get Price for cheap.
like goalies most of the time dont drop off a cliff but turco went from legit starting goalie to terrible in like half a year

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Any offer that starts with us retaining money in Price contract is a deal breaker. Doesn’t matter what the return is

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
like goalies most of the time dont drop off a cliff but turco went from legit starting goalie to terrible in like half a year

There are exceptions to the rule the the exception is not the rule. Look at the elite level goalies... very rarely do they fall flat on their face or drop off a cliff in their early to mid 30's. Price is in tip top shape at 32 so at this point in time, there are zero sings he disappears in the short term. Maybe you can get concerned with his age 37 and 38 seasons but from 32-36 is not my concern. That's 5 more years where he most likely remains one of the best in the world.

You don't have to believe me but if you want him, you pay our price, not yours. This will not be Roy round 2.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
P
That's fine. You can pretend that Price is not a game changer if you wish. You don't get if you don't give. I get that you would prefer to keep your D. I would too but your not going to get one of the best goalies in the world and not give a proven piece in return.

Don't worry, Price likely does not waive his NMC to go to Edmonton. Your safe according to your own narrative

Do me a favour - find the last Price to Edmonton thread started by an Oiler fan. I think you’ll be looking a long, long time. It’s never us asking for him, but for a high end goalie that’s a “difference maker” he sure gets offered around a lot.

We need third line forwards and second line wingers. Goaltending is perfectly fine as is and there are lots of talented young guys in the pipeline. Price might be the one of the last players on the Habs that we should make a move for, when you look at team needs, age, and contracts.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
P

Do me a favour - find the last Price to Edmonton thread started by an Oiler fan. I think you’ll be looking a long, long time. It’s never us asking for him, but for a high end goalie that’s a “difference maker” he sure gets offered around a lot.

We need third line forwards and second line wingers. Goaltending is perfectly fine as is and there are lots of talented young guys in the pipeline. Price might be the one of the last players on the Habs that we should make a move for, when you look at team needs, age, and contracts.

I don't care who started it. I'm talking about what I would do if Price was traded. You can continue with who to blame if you wish. All I am saying is I'm not trading Price in a Roy round 2 situation. Forget about it. He is still one of the best goalies in the world and I expect him to be for the next 5 years. At 37, we will see.

All you are responsible for is you. Stop trying to make it a Oilers fan base vs Habs. We have various difference of opinions

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
There are exceptions to the rule the the exception is not the rule. Look at the elite level goalies... very rarely do they fall flat on their face or drop off a cliff in their early to mid 30's. Price is in tip top shape at 32 so at this point in time, there are zero sings he disappears in the short term. Maybe you can get concerned with his age 37 and 38 seasons but from 32-36 is not my concern. That's 5 more years where he most likely remains one of the best in the world.

You don't have to believe me but if you want him, you pay our price, not yours. This will not be Roy round 2.
bouchard would be a tough sell because the oilers have like a bajillion lhd both prospects and players and need their righties more. broberg is hollands first pick so if you switched it to picks or other prospects you might get more traction .

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I don't care who started it. I'm talking about what I would do if Price was traded. You can continue with who to blame if you wish. All I am saying is I'm not trading Price in a Roy round 2 situation. Forget about it. He is still one of the best goalies in the world and I expect him to be for the next 5 years. At 37, we will see.

And I’m talking about that Price is an absolute nonsense target for Edmonton. I don’t really care what you want for him, since we couldn’t even afford to take him for free. This is a silly conversation.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Offer Price to Calgary, they have bigger goaltending issues at the moment. I'm a big believer in never going big term and big money on a goalie unless they are HOF caliber. While I respect Price I wouldn't even offer a 5th round pick for him, his addition just creates too much havoc with our salary structure and only further inhibits our ability to patch more significant holes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad