Proposal: EDM & MTL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
Seems like Edmonton needs a Goalie if they want to go far in the series.
If Montreal go full rebuild i think a trade could be made with Edmonton

MTL : Price (25% retain) + 4rd

&

Oilers : Evan Bouchard + Raphael Lavoie + 2rd (become a 1rd if the make the stanley cup final)+ Sam Gagner (cap dumb)

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
Before we go any further, Price @ 25% retained is 7.857 per year for the next 7 years.

Between koskinen and Smith they are spending 6.5 on goaltending

Theyd have to move one of them, which would not be easy, especially knowing that the oilers are cap-strapped.

They would probably have to lose another trade to make it work.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
Theyd have to move one of them, which would not be easy, especially knowing that the oilers are cap-strapped.

They would probably have to lose another trade to make it work.

In this scenario, Habs could take one back as a cap dump instead of Gagne. Habs would need to form some kind of tandem to replace Price's minutes until Primeau is ready.

Reactions: HabsQC

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

&

Oilers : Evan Bouchard + Raphael Lavoie + 2rd (become a 1rd if the make the stanley cup final)+ Sam Gagner (cap dumb)

Not even close to get one of the top goalies in the world.

- Bouchard is a decent prospect but not the main type of piece I would be looking for. I don't like his skating.
- Lavoie looks good in the Q and I watch him a lot. His skating is going to hold him back IMO.
- You are asking us to take on a cap dump and not giving any return value for it?

Let's reverse it... Drai (25% retention) for Brook, Ylonen, and a conditional 2nd (1st if the Habs make the stanley cup final) and a cap dump in Weise.

Try this...

- Price ($1.5M retention)
- Rielly or Kulak
for
- Nurse or Klefbom
- 2020 1st
- 2021 2nd

If you want us to take a cap dump for one year in Gagne, add Lavoie or a 2nd.

Habs might focus on youth more and more but why not keep Price? Were are not going to just give him away and do favors to other teams. He is in very good shape and one of the best goalies in the world.

Reactions: Whalers Fan

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Not even close to get one of the top goalies in the world.

- Bouchard is a decent prospect but not the main type of piece I would be looking for. I don't like his skating.
- Lavoie looks good in the Q and I watch him a lot. His skating is going to hold him back IMO.
- You are asking us to take on a cap dump and not giving any return value for it?

Let's reverse it... Drai (25% retention) for Brook, Ylonen, and a conditional 2nd (1st if the Habs make the stanley cup final) and a cap dump in Weise.

Try this...

- Price ($1.5M retention)
- Rielly or Kulak
for
- Nurse or Klefbom
- 2020 1st
- 2021 2nd

If you want us to take a cap dump for one year in Gagne, add Lavoie or a 2nd.

Habs might focus on youth more and more but why not keep Price? Were are not going to just give him away and do favors to other teams. He is in very good shape and one of the best goalies in the world.

Ridiculous comparison. Draisaitl is quite a bit more valuable than Price.

Price is still pretty good but I wouldn't say he's elite anymore and at 32 has 7 years left on his contract so I can't see any team giving up a lot for him.

Torontoborn

Jan 9, 2019

&

As a Leaf fan I love it! As an Oiler fan I would love it! As a Hab fan not so much. Price is the teams back bone and as it stands now there isn't anyone waiting in the wings for the Habs.

Torontoborn

Jan 9, 2019

Price is still pretty good but I wouldn't say he's elite anymore and at 32 has 7 years left on his contract so I can't see any team giving up a lot for him.

Seriously! He's the reason the Habs are even in playoff races.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

It's not as ridiculous as you think. Of course Drai > Price at this point in time but the narrative is stealing away top NHL talent with meh offers. If the Oilers had someone who was top talent at 32, I would used that person vs Drai

Price is 32 and goalies don't decline like players do (especially elite level ones). Do you think Burns at the age of 34 is not worth much cause he is signed till 39? Price has high probability of performing very well in his 30's like other elite level goalies have. Panthers must of been stupid to sign the 31 year old Bob to 7 years at $10M AAV eh.

You are not going to get Price for cheap.

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
No thx. Bouchard is a core piece of big picture in Edmonton. He's something they never had since Coffey, in a legitimate top pairing highly offensive blue-liner.

The goaltending is fine, Koskinen and Smith are doing their part, the problem is secondary scoring. Huge problem. And trading a highly productive prospect on a team starving for offense, makes no sense

Also can't imagine Carey Price in any other uniform but the red white and blue.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
No thx. Bouchard is a core piece of big picture in Edmonton. He's something they never had since Coffey, in a legitimate top pairing highly offensive blue-liner.

The goaltending is fine, Koskinen and Smith are doing their part, the problem is secondary scoring. Huge problem. And trading a highly productive prospect on a team starving for offense, makes no sense

Also can't imagine Carey Price in any other uniform but the red white and blue.

Broberg has a much better chance at being the Oilers next Coffey vs Bouchard. Bouchard is more like the next Weber but is in an era where skating is more important. Bouchard's skating is average at best. You can keep him and Broberg is the guy with the higher ceiling. He is another big dude but he can skate like Coffey! ;). Can he put it all together in the NHL? Who knows

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Not interested in Price as an Oiler fan. He costs too much money and we don't have enough cap room.

I think the Oilers should be the ones desperate for a Price-like goaltender even at the abovementioned price.... but to mitigate that Talbot or Smith should go the other way. You just do not win the cup without a good goalkeeper.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
It's not as ridiculous as you think. Of course Drai > Price at this point in time but the narrative is stealing away top NHL talent with meh offers. If the Oilers had someone who was top talent at 32, I would used that person vs Drai

Price is 32 and goalies don't decline like players do (especially elite level ones). Do you think Burns at the age of 34 is not worth much cause he is signed till 39? Price has high probability of performing very well in his 30's like other elite level goalies have. Panthers must of been stupid to sign the 31 year old Bob to 7 years at $10M AAV eh.

You are not going to get Price for cheap.

Drai>>>>Price.
If Drai was 32 and had 7 years left on his deal, he wouldn't have that much value either similar to Kopitar now.

Price is still good but he's not at that elite level he was at 2-3 years ago and at 32, it's not going to get better going forward. If he had 3-4 years left on his contract, he'd have a lot more value but 7 years is a lot of years committed to a player on the wrong side of his prime similar to Weber who is still good but not Norris level good anymore. Bouchard+Lavoie+picks is not "cheap" by any means. It's a really steep price to pay for a goalie who has maybe 2-3 years of high level play left.

Last edited:
Reactions: TFHockey

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Drai>>>>Price.
If Drai was 32 and had 7 years left on his deal, he wouldn't have that much value either similar to Kopitar now.

Price is still good but he's not at that elite level he was at 2-3 years ago anymore and at 32, it's not going to get better going forward. If he had 3-4 years left on his contract, he'd have a lot more value but 7 years is a lot of years committed to a player on the wrong side of his prime similar to Weber who is still good but not Norris level good anymore. Bouchard+Lavoie+picks is not "cheap" by any means. It's a really steep price to pay for a goalie who has maybe 2-3 years of high level play left.

My point went over your head between Drai and Price. I repeat, the narrative is stealing away top performing players with meh players in your offer. If the Oilers had a top talent at the age of 32, I would of used that comparison but they don't. And for the Record, Drai is not worth 4 times Price. More like 2 at best.

Price is one of the best goalies in the world playing on a team that has defensive issues. You can try to devalue him all you want but you won't get him for that offer. It's not even close and like someone else said, Price don't waive his NMC to go to Edmonton.

I'm not high on Bouchard. Sorry. He is the modern day version of Weber in an era where skating has taken over more than ever before. You can value him high but we are the team you are trying to trade with. So no, Bouchard as the main piece? Sorry, answer is no

I know Lavoie very well cause I live in Halifax. Your not fooling me with him. He has a NHL shot but does not play physical but he does have the strength. His skating is a major concern in terms of him being a top 6F in the NHL. I hope he does well but I don't consider him a sure shot NHL'er

You can try to justify that offer but it won't work

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Does the OP realise the Oilers only have $32,000 in cap space?

Sending us Price means you literally have to take back the same salary for it to work.
We need a LOT more of your secondary scoring than we do another goalie.

What we need more than anything is Phillip Danault, and Joel Armia.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad