Proposal: EDM - MN

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
i kind of hope they do manage to trade Draisaitl just to see who can do it without making their team worse overall.

edit: it would seem teams with enough depth of talent (like Dallas) are already cup contenders so would have zero motivation to move that skilled depth for a more expensive forward.

roon

Mar 1, 2012
Minnesota
Specifically, Oilers and Rangers fans have had much more amicable discussions around Draisaitl+ for Shesterkin+Zibanejad+.

It's not my favourite offer, but it's more in line with what the Oilers want, which is to win now. The Wild aren't even a playoff team right now. Edmonton wouldn't be looking to them for win-now pieces.
So - a 31 year old downgrade in Mika signed for 8.5 million until he is 38 and a top 5 goalie in the league due for a contract around Bob's value?

Sounds good bro.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
So - a 31 year old downgrade in Mika signed for 8.5 million until he is 38 and a top 5 goalie in the league due for a contract around Bob's value?

Sounds good bro.
Contracts aren't the be-all end-all. I can't remember all the specifics, but it was something like Drai and Campbell and a first for Shesterkin and Zibanejad.

It was a much better considered offer than yours, though, that's for certain. It actually took Edmonton's needs and goals into consideration, instead of just thinking about their own team. Always a nice start.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
I wouldn't say that at all - and even if we did. EDM got to the finals with McDavid/Drai and a whole bunch of nothing.
yeah McDavid being the operative word. PP. Draisaitls ES numbers are less stellar than i would have thought.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I wouldn't say that at all - and even if we did. EDM got to the finals with McDavid/Drai and a whole bunch of nothing.
a 24 year old defenceman with 80 points is nothing? a 50 goal scorer is nothing? another 100 point scorer is nothing? Mattias Ekholm is nothing?

Now who's being disingenuous?

roon

Mar 1, 2012
Minnesota
Contracts aren't the be-all end-all. I can't remember all the specifics, but it was something like Drai and Campbell and a first for Shesterkin and Zibanejad.

It was a much better considered offer than yours, though, that's for certain. It actually took Edmonton's needs and goals into consideration, instead of just thinking about their own team. Always a nice start.

From what I can tell - your team needs are finding a way to have a serviceable forward group while still having enough money to not have to Ice the local mites team on D and in Net.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
From what I can tell - your team needs are finding a way to have a serviceable forward group while still having enough money to not have to Ice the local mites team on D and in Net.
your proposal didn't even save us enough cap space next year to ice a league minimum contract. If your hook was cap savings for Edmonton, you didn't do very well at it.

If only we could be blessed with the depth and winning pedigree of the Minnesota Wild.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Huberdeau had .91 points per game while playing for Florida (671 games with 613 points). Draihas 1.18 PPG, a difference of .27 PPG or 22 points.

Difference is Barkov is no McDavid. Great player and all, but McDavid is a gear higher and I wouldn't be surprised if McDavid was a big helper on those 22 points.

Hubs was 29 at the time when he was traded, similar to Drai. Also Broberg is no Weeger and Schwindt was a toss in prospect.

Also as good as Tkachuk is, Kaprizov has always been a step ahead and is one of the best wingers in this game.

Huberdeau never won the Hart trophy when McDavid was injured.

And then added multiple 100 point seasons.

No one ever claimed Huberdeau is a top three player in the league.

Pretty bad comparison.

roon

Mar 1, 2012
Minnesota
your proposal didn't even save us enough cap space next year to ice a league minimum contract. If your hook was cap savings for Edmonton, you didn't do very well at it.

If only we could be blessed with the depth and winning pedigree of the Minnesota Wild.

The goal wasnt to save you cap this year - but going forward.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
The goal wasnt to save you cap this year - but going forward.
Boldy at 7 million and Rossi at 3.5-4 million saves us a grand total of 2-2.5 million bucks longterm assuming Draisaitl's next deal is in line with guys like Matthews and MacKinnon. That's barely anything, and it definitely doesn't add very much value to us considering that our Cup window is wide open and your trade makes us worse in the short term with no guarantee of getting better in the long term.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
Boldy at 7 million and Rossi at 3.5-4 million saves us a grand total of 2-2.5 million bucks longterm assuming Draisaitl's next deal is in line with guys like Matthews and MacKinnon. That's barely anything, and it definitely doesn't add very much value to us considering that our Cup window is wide open and your trade makes us worse in the short term with no guarantee of getting better in the long term.
it could mean the difference in signing Bouchard, who you seem to like, or having to trade him or scramble to trade someone else.

roon

Mar 1, 2012
Minnesota

Again - Drai's extension isnt happening in a vaccum. McDavid is getting 15 million a year as well.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
it could mean the difference in signing Bouchard, who you seem to like, or having to trade him or scramble to trade someone else.
I'd certainly rather explore every other option possible than easily lose a Leon Draisaitl deal just to amass a whopping 2 million dollars in cap savings. :laugh:

Teams go decades - their entire history - without a Draisaitl level talent at centre. You do everything in your power to keep him right where he is, as long as he wants to be there.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Again - Drai's extension isnt happening in a vaccum. McDavid is getting 15 million a year as well.
And? He's worth it. Draisaitl is worth the 13 million he's going to get. Pay great players what they're worth. On a 90+ million dollar cap, 28 million going to two of the best players in the league isn't a worry.

Reactions: ElPrimeTime

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
That looks more like a fair deal for Draisaitl to me.

Boldy, Rossi, Wallstedt and a 1st is the absolute minimum, and I probably would expect another high pick to be added on top of that.
Maybe a signed Draisaitl at a 11M cap hit. This is one year of Draisaitl.

Huh ? Bouchard - Ekholm is an elite top 2 by todays standards, and guys like Hyman, RNH ain’t no joke either
This. You are so right. Ekholm and Hyman were the perfect UFA signings. It's disingenuous for people to say they have no help now. That's flat out wrong.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
Specifically, Oilers and Rangers fans have had much more amicable discussions around Draisaitl+ for Shesterkin+Zibanejad+.

It's not my favourite offer, but it's more in line with what the Oilers want, which is to win now. The Wild aren't even a playoff team right now. Edmonton wouldn't be looking to them for win-now pieces.

Which means you think that the wild would offer even less for him? Talk about delusional. Spare parts don't return players of Draisaitl's caliber.

Draisaitl is a better player than Matt Tkachuk, and Tkachuk returned a top line forward coming off a massive season, a right shot top pairing defenceman in his prime, a B prospect, and a first. And this is while flipping the Flames the bird and wiping his ass with the jersey on the way out.
Huberdeau and Weegar had one year left to UFA and the Panthers weren't going to be able to re-sign them both.

I don't think 29 year old Huberdeau with one year of control was worth more than 23 year old Boldy with 6 more years of control.

I don't think 28 year old Weegar with 1 year of control was worth more than Rossi who is on an ELC and still has at least 3 years of team control.

I'm also not sure 29 year old Leon has more value now than 24 year old Tkachuk who was an RFA. But either way the value here seems pretty close to me

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
And? He's worth it. Draisaitl is worth the 13 million he's going to get. Pay great players what they're worth. On a 90+ million dollar cap, 28 million going to two of the best players in the league isn't a worry.
Agreed. The Oilers have 2 issues. Nurse and Campbell. 14-15M for McDavid and 13ish for Draisaitl is no issue. The challenge will be Nurse and Campbell. I'm not as sold on Bouchard as some are either. I'd like to see if he can handle minutes away from his babysitter before I gave him double digits.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Maybe a signed Draisaitl at a 11M cap hit. This is one year of Draisaitl.

This. You are so right. Ekholm and Hyman were the perfect UFA signings. It's disingenuous for people to say they have no help now. That's flat out wrong.
Bold 1: OP pretty clearly said it was an extended Draisaitl.

Bold 2: Ekholm was the lone time Ken Holland got off his has to make a trade to help this team longterm, not a UFA signing.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
I'd certainly rather explore every other option possible than easily lose a Leon Draisaitl deal just to amass a whopping 2 million dollars in cap savings. :laugh:

Teams go decades - their entire history - without a Draisaitl level talent at centre. You do everything in your power to keep him right where he is, as long as he wants to be there.
i don't disagree. but again he's easier to keep than he is to introduce at this stage in his career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad