Proposal: EDM - MN

roon

Mar 1, 2012
Minnesota
Lots of unknowns in EDM and I understand that moving Drai is unlikely but hear me out.

To EDM -
Matt Boldy
Marco Rossi
2025 1st - Top 3 protected

To MN -
Drai - Extended

The Wild get their number 1 - Top 5 C in the league with 3-4 years left of his prime. Also - I feel like we have the forward talent in the pipeline to absorb this loss...EDM gets younger and cheaper with some talent that can extend McDavids window without having to tie up close to 30 million in Cap between 2 forwards.

If you don't like the Rossi add we can discuss other options.

I'm sure some on both sides will think this is a terrible proposal - but offers for top 5 forwards usually get that reaction.

Reactions: Laphroaig

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
That looks more like a fair deal for Draisaitl to me.

Boldy, Rossi, Wallstedt and a 1st is the absolute minimum, and I probably would expect another high pick to be added on top of that.

Someone else can have him then. Or the Wild can go after him next summer in free agency. That's a ridiculous amount of high end young pieces for one player.

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
I kind of doubt Draisaitl is someone Guerin would look at based on his style of play. That and while he's undeniably good, I still wouldn't trade the kind of assets it would take to get him in a Wild uni. To me, like I said, while he's a great player, he isn't worth it.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
The team trading away the player being extended doesn't get multiple extra assets because the other team signs him to an extension. The Oilers get credit for the one year Draisaitl is under contract. Add another asset over what he would go for as a one year rental, but they don't get two extra 1sts and two top prospects when MN will be paying him $13M per for the back half of his career. Boldy is making slightly more than half that and is signed through his prime years.

Find me a trade in the past decade where the return for one player was a nearly PPG player, two top prospects and two 1sts.

OPs offer is fair and I don't think the Wild would/should pay any more than that

Last edited:

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Only reason the Oilers would entertain trading Draisaitl is if he won’t extend and if that’s the case they’re only going to trade him to a team he’s willing to put an extension in place and I highly doubt the Wild are on that list. Guys are signing for either competitiveness, money, lifestyle or having ties to a city. Oilers have comp and money covered so if he wants out it’s likely because of lifestyle and if that’s the case a year from UFA his list is likely marquee cities.

That said I don’t think Minnesota would have the kind of pieces that would be of most interest to Edmonton. They’d certainly want a young, high end defenseman as part of the package. They’re pieces with value, but I don’t know if the Oilers want to commit another 7M on top 6 wing and not sure they’d wanna gamble on the upside of a talented but undersized C who’s had some health issues. Wallstedt is interesting but they probably don’t want to break another rookie in during their cup window and they do have a 23 year old prospect who’s outperformed Wallstedt in the AHL who Id imagine they probably want to get some playing time this year.

Faber is the type of piece they’d have interest in and probably a guy like Eriksson EK to plug into their top 6.

roon

Mar 1, 2012
Minnesota
That looks more like a fair deal for Draisaitl to me.

Boldy, Rossi, Wallstedt and a 1st is the absolute minimum, and I probably would expect another high pick to be added on top of that.

HFBoards notoriously over values assets. Stuff like you’re proposing just aren’t realistic and don’t happen.

This is 3 1sts for the end of Drai’s career is pretty fair I think.

There are not many teams with prospect pools that can match this offer.

Only reason the Oilers would entertain trading Draisaitl is if he won’t extend and if that’s the case they’re only going to trade him to a team he’s willing to put an extension in place and I highly doubt the Wild are on that list. Guys are signing for either competitiveness, money, lifestyle or having ties to a city. Oilers have comp and money covered so if he wants out it’s likely because of lifestyle and if that’s the case a year from UFA his list is likely marquee cities.

That said I don’t think Minnesota would have the kind of pieces that would be of most interest to Edmonton. They’d certainly want a young, high end defenseman as part of the package. They’re pieces with value, but I don’t know if the Oilers want to commit another 7M on top 6 wing and not sure they’d wanna gamble on the upside of a talented but undersized C who’s had some health issues. Wallstedt is interesting but they probably don’t want to break another rookie in during their cup window and they do have a 23 year old prospect who’s outperformed Wallstedt in the AHL who Id imagine they probably want to get some playing time this year.

Faber is the type of piece they’d have interest in and probably a guy like Eriksson EK to plug into their top 6.
You honestly think EDM wants to commit 1/3rd of their cap to 2 forwards?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
HFBoards notoriously over values assets. Stuff like you’re proposing just aren’t realistic and don’t happen.

When was the last guy on par with Draisaitl that was traded?

You're not getting a top-5 player in hockey "3 1sts". Wallstedt would absolutely be included, that's not even remotely a question in my eyes.

You might be able to get away with Boldy, Wallstedt, a lesser piece than Rossi and a 1st for Draisaitl, but you're not getting a top player like Draisaitl for "3 1sts".

Reactions: ElPrimeTime

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
I kind of doubt Draisaitl is someone Guerin would look at based on his style of play. That and while he's undeniably good, I still wouldn't trade the kind of assets it would take to get him in a Wild uni. To me, like I said, while he's a great player, he isn't worth it.
No kidding. He's a great player. But he's not worth the holes that moving all those assets would create. Lots and lots of holes. Hell, we're struggling now to avoid being a one line team. It never works.

Reactions: MK9

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay

You honestly think EDM wants to commit 1/3rd of their cap to 2 forwards?
You honestly think they don’t?

You keep two of the top 5 players in the league who just brought you to within a game of a cup together and worry about the rest later. They have space to run it back next year and then see where the cap goes. At the very least you buy some time. Can always trade him next offseason or the one after.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

You keep two of the top 5 players in the league who just brought you to within a game of a cup together and worry about the rest later. They have space to run it back next year and then see where the cap goes. At the very least you buy some time. Can always trade him next offseason or the one after.
I'm guessing his next contract will come with a full NMC.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
If the price is as high as people here are saying, it doesn't make sense for the Wild to make the trade. Draisaitl is needed to make the Wild a contender. They're a contender if they have good goaltending (Wallstedt, hopefully), high end forwards (Boldy and Kaprizov), and solidify the 1st line center spot (Draisaitl). If they're trading half of what they need, they will find they don't need Draisaitl anymore either.

I think it's fairly obvious the Wild don't currently have the pieces to both obtain Drai and ice a contending team.

Reactions: NHL1674

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis

You're not getting a top-5 player in hockey "3 1sts". Wallstedt would absolutely be included, that's not even remotely a question in my eyes.

You might be able to get away with Boldy, Wallstedt, a lesser piece than Rossi and a 1st for Draisaitl, but you're not getting a top player like Draisaitl for "3 1sts".
Erik Karlsson to SJ was Tierney, Demelo, Balcers, the rights to Josh Norris, a conditional 1st, and two 2nds. So basically two 1sts, two 2nds and roster filler.

You're saying the return for Leon is prime Erik Karlsson value plus Boldy. It's more than any player than Gretzky or Lindros has ever returned. It's not realistic at all.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004

Jonathan Huberdeau? Numbers are a little off, but he played with Barkov and needed an extension at 29. He + Weeger + Schwindt + a conditional 2025 1st round draft pick for Tkachuk and a 4th

So Drai + Broberg + a conditional 2026 1st for Kaprizov and a 4th

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Erik Karlsson to SJ was Tierney, Demelo, Balcers, the rights to Josh Norris, a conditional 1st, and two 2nds. So basically two 1sts, two 2nds and roster filler.

You're saying the return for Leon is prime Erik Karlsson value plus Boldy. It's more than any player than Gretzky or Lindros has ever returned. It's not realistic at all.

Jonathan Huberdeau? Numbers are a little off, but he played with Barkov and needed an extension at 29. He + Weeger + Schwindt + a conditional 2025 1st round draft pick for Tkachuk and a 4th

So Drai + Broberg + a conditional 2026 1st for Kaprizov and a 4th

Draisaitl is a clearly better player than either of these 2 players. Karlsson was an elite OFD but he never reached the level of play that Draisaitl has reached.

Also, I fail to see how Tierney, DeMelo and Balcers were just "roster filler" in the Karlsson deal. Tierney was a 23 year old 3C coming off a 40 point season. DeMelo was a good young defenseman that has continued to be good until today (he just signed a $4.9 million extension).

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
on top of everything else the larger Drai's contract is, the more Kaprizov will demand--to get paid commensurate with contribution.
With the combo of good roster players and first round picks we have to give up we might end up this past decade's Oilers but without McDavid. Rather not.

Reactions: NHL1674

roon

Mar 1, 2012
Minnesota

I guess - but the holes created by committing that much cap to a few guys almost kept them out of the finals.

McDrai overcame a lot of short comings on that team - but EDM with a team that looks very similar to this one has lost the last few years in the early rounds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad