Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] F Leon Draisaitl signs extension with the Oilers (8 years, $14M AAV; begins 2025-26)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Yes they signed for a discount. Barkov, Tkachuk, and Reinhart all signed contracts that were under fair market value. Because of that the Panthers have more $$ for the rest of the team which will keep them competitive longer because of solid depth. Draisaitl, on the other hand, did what was best for him... and he even said that to the media. It was "SHOW ME THE MONEY!". I expect Bouchard and McDavid will have the same attitude... which is their right. The Oilers have 1-2 years. Once the Draisaitl, Bouchard, and McDavid contracts kick in depth will be a huge problem. However, you are an Oilers fan. I guess you're used to that.
lol so you think if Draisaitl hit UFA no one would offer him more than 14 million? If he wanted 16 million someone would have paid him.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I mean Tkachuk didn't charge extra like Huberdeau did because he knew he was stuck in dreaded Calgary, but he didn't take a discount.

I don't blame Huberdeau for taking the max because he knew the team had no future, but that's what happens when you know you are stuck in Cowtown.

Tkachuk took fair market, and probably still makes $10 million more than Huberdeau over the life of the contract due to the tax free situation in Florida.
When Tkachuk signed that contract in Calgary he knew exactly who he would be playing for under the contract. He could have gotten more. Florida would have taken him at $10.5m. It was a good deal $$ wise for Florida. Barkov, at $10m, is underpaid as as highly respected #1C. Reinhart... its almost criminal what he's getting paid. Talk about a team discount.

Reactions: behemolari

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
lol so you think if Draisaitl hit UFA no one would offer him more than 14 million? If he wanted 16 million someone would have paid him.
Sure they would.. but they could only offer him 7 years. $14x8 = $16x7. He's getting exactly what he would as a free agent. You're delusional if you think Edmonton got Draisaitl at a discount.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
When Tkachuk signed that contract in Calgary he knew exactly who he would be playing for under the contract. He could have gotten more. Florida would have taken him at $10.5m. It was a good deal $$ wise for Florida. Barkov, at $10m, is underpaid as as highly respected #1C. Reinhart... its almost criminal what he's getting paid. Talk about a team discount.

Treliving f***ed the whole situation up, he could have locked in both Gaudreau and Tkachuk earlier, instead he wanted to be the smartest person in the room and try to low ball and pinch pennies.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Treliving f***ed the whole situation up, he could have locked in both Gaudreau and Tkachuk earlier, instead he wanted to be the smartest person in the room and try to low ball and pinch pennies.
Can't disagree with you there.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Can't disagree with you there.

That's the other side of the street, you pay your damn stars. You want to get cheap or save 500k that you're going to spend on f*** all anyway ... take a good hard look at what the Flames did to themselves.

Reactions: Duke74

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
That's the other side of the street, you pay your damn stars. You want to get cheap or save 500k that you're going to spend on f*** all anyway ... take a good hard look at what the Flames did to themselves.
I agree. Draisaitl wanted $112m and that's what they paid him. They knew if he didn't get it in Edmonton he'd get it elsewhere. I don't blame Bowman. He was over a barrel and Draisaitl was exerting serious pressure with his no negotiations once the season starts stance. Draisaitl, is/was the problem not Bowman. He said he wanted to stay in Edmonton but Im sure he would have walked if Bowman said no to $112m.

• Haha
Reactions: Frank Drebin

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I agree. Draisaitl wanted $112m and that's what they paid him. They knew if he didn't get it in Edmonton he'd get it elsewhere. I don't blame Bowman. He was over a barrel and Draisaitl was exerting serious pressure with his no negotiations once the season starts stance. Draisaitl, is/was the problem not Bowman. He said he wanted to stay in Edmonton but Im sure he would have walked if Bowman said no to $112m.

There isn't a problem to begin with. Any team is lucky to have a player like Draisaitl, to have him and McDavid is an embarrassment of riches.

A problem would be if you jerked him around like the Flames did with Gaudreau and Tkachuk and look at them now. No thanks. I'll take our situation as is, thank you very much.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Guys taking a little less than the max in no tax states isn't exactly new info.

According to Cardinal Point Tax Calculator $9,500,00 per year in Florida means $3,473,187 in taxes. $10,500,000 in Calgary gets you $5,000,728 in taxes.

Tkachuk is actually putting more money in his jeans every year, than Huberdeau. If you want to call that a team discount go ahead.

Contracts coming in slightly lower in Tampa and now Florida is just the way she goes.

CanadasTeam99

Jul 22, 2024
And don't even get you started on how much Dallas sucked. :naughty:

Long story short, only your team vanquishes their opponents against all odds. Other teams were gifted their wins by divine mercy.

Must be nice to live in the land of simplistic tribalism where you reside.
Oh but Dallas was so deep. Tanev pairing was "UNSTOPPABLE" lol

That's just what McDrai do for the most part. They sh** on guys playoff numbers. Make Sid look bad TBH

Last edited:

CanadasTeam99

Jul 22, 2024
It makes it a bit tougher, but it's not like the cap is static either.

By the time McDavid's extension even starts 2 years from now, the cap could be $9 million higher than it is now.

People are forecasting a 4 mill bump next summer, and then you have new Canadian TV deal that will drive up revenue.

Also again, I don't think many people outside of Oiler fans realize Draisaitl's raise is basically already priced into the Oilers salary cap. They are playing this year with $1.9 million in dead cap from Neal buy out + $3.2 mill from Brown overage + $300k bonus on Perry ... that all comes off the cap next summer.

Drai's current salary (8.5) + 1.9 mill off the cap + 3.2 mill off the cap + 300k off the cap = $13.9 million, so that covers essentially all but $100k of Draisaitl's cap hit.

They may have to bridge Bouchard, that's likely going to be the bigger internal discussion.
Shhh stop making sense bud. I do agree Drai took market value. He did sign for 8 years. Under 14 would have been a discount to me.

Reactions: Czechboy

CanadasTeam99

Jul 22, 2024
I see the 2026 Oilers will suck theme is still going.lol

Are there any other teams that we know so much about 2 seasons from now?
Edmonton has been a top team in the entire NHL with some shoddy goaltending and even shakey defense, BuT ThEy SuCk lol. THat's what guys like Drai and Mcdavid do. Bouchard. Hyman been a beast.
Oilers will never win the cup when two players are spending third of cap space
Almost won a cup with some shoddy goaltending and some shaky D at times (even though the D and forward numbers were TOP FIVE for the most part)

Keep coping though. Salt is wonderful

Reactions: Czechboy

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Guys taking a little less than the max in no tax states isn't exactly new info.

According to Cardinal Point Tax Calculator $9,500,00 per year in Florida means $3,473,187 in taxes. $10,500,000 in Calgary gets you $5,000,728 in taxes.

Tkachuk is actually putting more money in his jeans every year, than Huberdeau. If you want to call that a team discount go ahead.

Contracts coming in slightly lower in Tampa and now Florida is just the way she goes.
And what does he pay in taxes in Florida on $10.5m?
My point is he could very well be making $10.5m in Florida. He just chose to leave that extra million on the table for his new team mates like Barkov did and Reinhart just did... unlike Draisaitl and soon to be Bouchard and McDavid if they follow Leon "Show Me The Money" Draisaitl.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I know that we're all sports fans that want to see our teams win a stanley cup but the NHL is also a business. Players like Draisaitl and McDavid are worth their weight in gold from a marketing/sales perspective even if they don't win. Maybe that's a losers mentality but locking in these guys was always the plan. They print money during the regular season and bring in playoff revenue.

Reactions: MessierII and Kalv

CanadasTeam99

Jul 22, 2024
I think people are deluding themselves into thinking that McDavid will sign one year from now for $16m. Right now there is a $4m difference between Draisaitl and McDavid. Draisaitl and McDavid signed $8.5m and $12.5m contracts one year apart. McDavid is well worth $4m more. He's the engine that drives the team. When McDavid signs a new contract I expect he'll get that $4m again. Why on earth would he accept less?
We have no idea what humans think?

You could invest what McDavid has already made, post tax and literally make over 100K per month sitting on your a** in interest

We don't know players motivations

Ego is the only play here.

I'm guessing Mrs. McDavid wants to live next door to her long time friend whos engaged to Draisaitl. For thoswho don’t know Draisaitl just bought the house next door to McDavid
The corner house was also for sale. Kane built one as well. McDrai live really close to Katz up in the river valley. Close to Valleyview Drive

CanadasTeam99

Jul 22, 2024
Almost criminal and he was a ghost most of the finals lol. Like seriously. He is not even in the stratosphere as the guys we are talking about. I still remember Tkachuk not even showing up against Edmonton the last series. Who are we kidding here?

His rat tricks are top notch

CatOTails

Jul 18, 2011
Latvia
When Leon signed for 8.5, he was maybe considered like the 8th-10th best player in the game in 2017, now a lot of people put him in the top 2-5 range, he's won a Hart trophy, a Rocket, multiple 50 goal seasons, etc. etc.. McDavid was the best player back then and he is now, so that hasn't changed much.

McDavid also makes a good chunk of money from endorsements, $5+ million extra per year which has been going on now for a long time. That's a luxury only he and Crosby and maybe to a lesser degree Matthews have.

A generational talent, especially a Canadian born one, like McDavid always has tremendous pressure to win a Cup. So I don't see him taking a contract that will negate himself from winning, it's not a little "nice to have" extra to win for him, he has to win.
Leon sits well beneath McDavid, Kucherov, MacKinnon and Matthews. I'd say he'll be somewhere on level with Panarin and Nylander, but that's a matter of taste or bias. But clearly placing him above Kuch and Mac would feel strange.
If we're talking fair market value then McDavid's contract is definitely higher than Leon's. 16 mil +, unless he decides to sign for less because of reasons.

CatOTails

Jul 18, 2011
Latvia
Edmonton has been a top team in the entire NHL with some shoddy goaltending and even shakey defense, BuT ThEy SuCk lol. THat's what guys like Drai and Mcdavid do. Bouchard. Hyman been a beast.

Almost won a cup with some shoddy goaltending and some shaky D at times (even though the D and forward numbers were TOP FIVE for the most part)

Keep coping though. Salt is wonderful
Sharks and Vancouver are almost x2 SC champions. What's your point?
Must feel nice.

beardo

Jan 29, 2024
Yeah because those three are the elite of the elite.
Mc d and drai sure, but not bouch. If he follows up last year he will get 11+ maybe more. Especially since nurse is getting 9. So that’s 30+ another 20. 50+m for 2 elite and one sniffing around elite players…. Oh and nurse.

14M Draisaitl
Bouchard will get 10-12M
McDavid 16M+
Nurse 9.5M

Lol at least $50-55M on 4 players.
Damn should have just read one more page. Exactly….

CanadasTeam99

Jul 22, 2024
Sharks and Vancouver are almost x2 SC champions. What's your point?
Must feel nice.
If you think that.... Oh boy lol. Vancouver was still a tough test though. Skinner gave them a lot of rope. They still managed to get close to the mountain.

CatOTails

Jul 18, 2011
Latvia
If you think that.... Oh boy lol. Vancouver was still a tough test though. Skinner gave them a lot of rope. They still managed to get close to the mountain.
I was referring to Vancouver back in Sedin times, with Selke-caliber Kesler and Luongo in net.
Oh an by the way, do you really expect Oilers would be playing in finals had they faced healthy Canucks these playoffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad