Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] F Leon Draisaitl signs extension with the Oilers (8 years, $14M AAV; begins 2025-26)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Still pretending that McDavid is going leave a ton of cash on the table and sign for $16m I see. I also liked that $100m+ cap bit in the 2026-27 season. Hilarious 😂
That is year 1 of mcdavids 8 year deal
Year 2 of draisatls
Projected cap for 26-27 is 97.5m
For the vast majority of both contracts the cap will be over 100m

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
II will bet you that McDavid doesn't sign for more than 16% of the cap
I expect the cap in the first year of McDavids new contract to be $97-98m.
16% of that is $15.52-15.68m. You're deluding yourself if you think he'll sign for that.

spaghtti

Oct 13, 2013
I expect the cap in the first year of McDavids new contract to be $97-98m.
16% of that is $15.52-15.68m. You're deluding yourself if you think he'll sign for that.
Care to make a wager? so you think McDavid signs for the max contract and and no less

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
McDavid will get a max contract so $17.5 or higher. He's the league's best player and the NHLPA won't be at all happy if their main attraction takes anything less which would set a bad precedent for other players down the road. Oilers will be like the Leafs have been, all their cap tied up in a few players. Not a recipe for success but it is what it is.

spaghtti

Oct 13, 2013
McDavid will get a max contract so $17.5 or higher. He's the league's best player and the NHLPA won't be at all happy if their main attraction takes anything less which would set a bad precedent for other players down the road. Oilers will be like the Leafs have been, all their cap tied up in a few players. Not a recipe for success but it is what it is.
Care to wager?

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Care to make a wager? so you think McDavid signs for the max contract and and no less
I think McDavid will sign for $17m or more. You think, as you said, McDavid will sign for $16m or less. Anything greater than $16m or less than $17m is a push. What do you want to bet? I don't gamble money.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I think people are deluding themselves into thinking that McDavid will sign one year from now for $16m. Right now there is a $4m difference between Draisaitl and McDavid. Draisaitl and McDavid signed $8.5m and $12.5m contracts one year apart. McDavid is well worth $4m more. He's the engine that drives the team. When McDavid signs a new contract I expect he'll get that $4m again. Why on earth would he accept less?
The only delusion is coming from you. At the time of those signings McDavid probably was ahead of Draisaitl by 4M, maybe more. It was only during Draisaitls contract that that gap was closed. Remember that most were saying Drai was overpaid at the time. And now he’s appropriately paid at 14M.

ManByng

Oilers cup 2025
Aug 4, 2009
Reykjavik, Iceland
Sorry to hear that. I hope you get to watch the Oilers win it all before you leave us. :thumbu:
They'll win it all next year you'll see, similar to the Pens losing in '08 then coming back in '09 and winning it as well as the Panthers failing 2 years ago in the finals only to come back this year and win it all ! ;)

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
The only delusion is coming from you. At the time of those signings McDavid probably was ahead of Draisaitl by 4M, maybe more. It was only during Draisaitls contract that that gap was closed. Remember that most were saying Drai was overpaid at the time. And now he’s appropriately paid at 14M.
I would expect no other opinion from an Oilers fanboy such as yourself. You can go back to your safe place now. :cheers:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think people are deluding themselves into thinking that McDavid will sign one year from now for $16m. Right now there is a $4m difference between Draisaitl and McDavid. Draisaitl and McDavid signed $8.5m and $12.5m contracts one year apart. McDavid is well worth $4m more. He's the engine that drives the team. When McDavid signs a new contract I expect he'll get that $4m again. Why on earth would he accept less?

When Leon signed for 8.5, he was maybe considered like the 8th-10th best player in the game in 2017, now a lot of people put him in the top 2-5 range, he's won a Hart trophy, a Rocket, multiple 50 goal seasons, etc. etc.. McDavid was the best player back then and he is now, so that hasn't changed much.

McDavid also makes a good chunk of money from endorsements, $5+ million extra per year which has been going on now for a long time. That's a luxury only he and Crosby and maybe to a lesser degree Matthews have.

A generational talent, especially a Canadian born one, like McDavid always has tremendous pressure to win a Cup. So I don't see him taking a contract that will negate himself from winning, it's not a little "nice to have" extra to win for him, he has to win.

• Haha
Reactions: behemolari

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
That is year 1 of mcdavids 8 year deal
Year 2 of draisatls
Projected cap for 26-27 is 97.5m
For the vast majority of both contracts the cap will be over 100m
They will also be declining every year at that point. Sure the cap is going to be higher when Draisaitl is 36 but I wouldn't want to be paying him anywhere near $14 M at that point.

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
This is an immediate giveaway that the poster in question isn't quite able to understand how the cap works.

Reactions: byrath

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Evan Bouchard becomes a UFA in July 2027. His current contract expires in July 2025, when he becomes a RFA with arbitration rights.
Could the Oilers be gutsy enough to try and sign him to a short term 2 or 3 year bridge deal in order to save a couple of million per season for the next two or three years while waiting for the salary cap to increase significantly?

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Very on point article.

Massive Leon Draisaitl contract extension brings appreciation for Panthers top players taking team friendly deals

Looking at each of the highest contracts on the Panthers, there are quite a few that would be considered team friendly.

The highest AAVs on the team belong to Sasha Barkov and Sergei Bobrovsky, who each count $10 million against the cap.

Barkov, like several of his teammates that we’ll get to shortly, is signed through the end of the decade, while Bobrovsky deal expires after next season.

Next highest is Matthew Tkachuk at $9.5 per year, and like Barkov, he’s signed through 2029-30.

Sam Reinhart just signed his extension, with last season’s 57-goal scorer sticking around in South Florida on an AAV of $8.625 million through 2031-32.

Last edited:

DingerMcSlapshot

Dec 1, 2017
When Leon signed for 8.5, he was maybe considered like the 8th-10th best player in the game in 2017, now a lot of people put him in the top 2-5 range, he's won a Hart trophy, a Rocket, multiple 50 goal seasons, etc. etc.. McDavid was the best player back then and he is now, so that hasn't changed much.

McDavid also makes a good chunk of money from endorsements, $5+ million extra per year which has been going on now for a long time. That's a luxury only he and Crosby and maybe to a lesser degree Matthews have.

A generational talent, especially a Canadian born one, like McDavid always has tremendous pressure to win a Cup. So I don't see him taking a contract that will negate himself from winning, it's not a little "nice to have" extra to win for him, he has to win.
When Draisaitl signed in 2017 he was nowhere near top 10. More like top 35 in the NHL. Draisaitl maxed out his new deal and so will McDavid. They're last contracts got to legendary. Because all they care about is points and money.

• Haha
Reactions: Duke74

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Barkov and Tkachuk didn't take discounts. They just aren't as good as McDavid and Draisaitl.
Yes they signed for a discount. Barkov, Tkachuk, and Reinhart all signed contracts that were under fair market value. Because of that the Panthers have more $$ for the rest of the team which will keep them competitive longer because of solid depth. Draisaitl, on the other hand, did what was best for him... and he even said that to the media. It was "SHOW ME THE MONEY!". I expect Bouchard and McDavid will have the same attitude... which is their right. The Oilers have 1-2 years. Once the Draisaitl, Bouchard, and McDavid contracts kick in depth will be a huge problem. However, you are an Oilers fan. I guess you're used to that.

nerevarine

Nov 14, 2019
Yes they signed for a discount. Barkov, Tkachuk, and Reinhart all signed contracts that were under fair market value. Because of that the Panthers have more $$ for the rest of the team which will keep them competitive longer because of solid depth. Draisaitl, on the other hand, did what was best for him... and he even said that to the media. It was "SHOW ME THE MONEY!". I expect Bouchard and McDavid will have the same attitude... which is their right. The Oilers have 1-2 years. Once the Draisaitl, Bouchard, and McDavid contracts kick in depth will be a huge problem. However, you are an Oilers fan. I guess you're used to that.
Complete and utterly delusional mixed in with a hint of revisionism

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
I mean Tkachuk didn't charge extra like Huberdeau did because he knew he was stuck in dreaded Calgary, but he didn't take a discount.

I don't blame Huberdeau for taking the max because he knew the team had no future, but that's what happens when you know you are stuck in Cowtown.

Tkachuk took fair market, and probably still makes $10 million more than Huberdeau over the life of the contract due to the tax free situation in Florida.

Reactions: CanadasTeam99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad