Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] F Leon Draisaitl signs extension with the Oilers (8 years, $14M AAV; begins 2025-26)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
RNH isn't at a discount. He's likely at best paid 500-800k less maybe per his average annual.

He's a 65pt player that's likely a little less than that if he didn't have that random 104pt season. Without that boost he's a career 61pt average player. 5.125/yr is pretty much market value.

The assumption was he was underpaid because his trajectory was to make it seem like he was. He never made it feel that way outside of one big year during a high scoring era.

It's funny someone mentioned Rob Brown when they talked that 104pt season in this thread, aka Today's Hyman.

Probably the closest comp was Danault, who signed the same summer. Danault slightly better (I think it's arguable) defensively, but Nuge a much more versatile attacker. Danault was a career 53 point average guy and Nuge (at that point) a 63 point average guy...

Danault got $5.5M. I think you could probably tack on another $1M for Nuge. It was widely rumored the number would be $7M (maybe that was the initial ask).

I'd argue he's quite easily a $1M discount, and you aren't that far off, but you think it's insignificant... can you name a deeper discount? Usually the "team discounts" for UFAs are in the 100's of K's not millions.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Probably the closest comp was Danault, who signed the same summer. Danault slightly better (I think it's arguable) defensively, but Nuge a much more versatile attacker. Danault was a career 53 point average guy and Nuge (at that point) a 63 point average guy...

Danault got $5.5M. I think you could probably tack on another $1M for Nuge. It was widely rumored the number would be $7M (maybe that was the initial ask).

I'd argue he's quite easily a $1M discount, and you aren't that far off, but you think it's insignificant... can you name a deeper discount? Usually the "team discounts" for UFAs are in the 100's of K's not millions.
Danault was actually better offensively leading up to their contracts. But it really doesn’t mean anything now, Nuge continuing to play well will be an integral part of navigating through the Draisaitl and McDavid contracts. Nuge and Hyman are currently producing at a 2 for 1 rate which is a good thing to have. Unlikely they both regress simultaneously

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
The last 5 seasons.

Lost in Qualifying Round
Out in the 1stround
Out in the 3rd round
Out in the 2nd round
Out in the Finals

Further and further each year isn't exactly accurate.
Pretty f***ing close.

Close enough that them being a cap strapped team every year hasn't made a lick of difference.

CanadasTeam99

Jul 22, 2024
I think this is a bit of revisionism. On their first extensions, Crosby and Malkin signed at 15.3% of the cap, slightly above Draisaitl's contract assuming we jump to at least $92m next season.
It's hilarious that people don't do any research when it comes to this stuff lol. They got paid. That poster is so out to lunch lol

CanadasTeam99

Jul 22, 2024
RNH isn't at a discount. He's likely at best paid 500-800k less maybe per his average annual.

He's a 65pt player that's likely a little less than that if he didn't have that random 104pt season. Without that boost he's a career 61pt average player. 5.125/yr is pretty much market value.

The assumption was he was underpaid because his trajectory was to make it seem like he was. He never made it feel that way outside of one big year during a high scoring era.

It's funny someone mentioned Rob Brown when they talked that 104pt season in this thread, aka Today's Hyman.
Why doesn't Edmonton just get minimum wage guys to throw up Hyman numbers? I mean, it must be easy to do it next to mcjesus right?

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Spoken like a guy that knows he has no argument
No, I realized trying to rationalize with the irrational is futile.

Crosby and Malkin took a few million less a year than they could have so they could be competitive.

Kane & Toews took 5yr deals in 2010-11 for 6.3m/yr which is just absurd for a massive cut - The max was 11.88 that year.
Alfredsson and that 1yr of 1m for the team.
Selanne and Kariya and their contracts with Colorado.
Tavares and his contract with the Isles, was one of the biggest bargains for them.

McDavid for example was offered 750k more than what he's getting now, his discount to the team was 750k less per year (which would have made his cap hit 13.25m)

Joe Thornton always took a discount, basically each of his contracts was him taking a lot less than he could have and this was during his prime years.

Bergeron took pay cuts to bring in players, I recall a story about him taking less so the Bruins could bring in Chara. For one of the best Captain's in the game and the best 2-way player of this era, yeah he took massive pay cuts.

Oh here's a very good one - Brayden Point took a lot less and a 3yr deal to keep the Bolts competitive, he was a 90pt player making 6.75m/yr for 3yrs. For a player that in that contract put up 262pts in 267 games.

Oh and on that topic, Kucherov took an insanely big pay cut.

This is just Draisaitl's new contract - McDavid, Skinner, Bouchard all will need new ones and Bouchard is going to see a massive jump in his salary, he's likely not taking anything less than what Nurse makes that's for certain, so he's likely in the 10+ range and that's if he doesn't have an insane year again which pushes that up even more. Skinner, if he builds on last season, will likely see a decent increase as well and I guess you can hope for another 750k massively generous pay cut by McDavid.

Why doesn't Edmonton just get minimum wage guys to throw up Hyman numbers? I mean, it must be easy to do it next to mcjesus right?
Nah mate, obviously the Cap is going to up to the right amount each time just so the Oilers can stay competitive with more cap space. Duh.

Pretty f***ing close.

Close enough that them being a cap strapped team every year hasn't made a lick of difference.

If you think that path is going to be the same...they were taken to a Game 7 by a team with a rookie goalie in net and missing one of their top scorers for Game 7.

Last edited:

Ghost of Murph

Dec 23, 2023
Cup finals last season. Playoffs the season before that Drai was an unstoppable force before Vegas cheap-shotted his hand. EDM might not have won the Cup the past two seasons but they've been a major factor.

Breaking news: top players cost top money. EDM would have been moronic not to lock Drai up, especially at the fair price they did. Any alternative would have put them in a lesser position to be successful moving forward.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I don't get it either especially since the Oilers have been up against the cap for years now. The Oilers are looking pretty darn good going into this season. Why people are worrying about 3 and 4 years down the road is beyond me, so much can change from now until then.

It's the only way to cope at the moment.

Started with "LOL EDMONTON IS A SHIT HOLE, THEY'LL BE GONE AT THE FIRST OPPORTUNITY"

Then moved to "LOL HES GOING TO BOSTON OR SAN JOSE, WHY HASN'T HE SIGNED YET DUUUUR"

Then when he re-signs - "LOL LOOK AT THE CAP SITUATION LOL!!!!!!" or even better "HE'S OVERPAID!!!!"

If Draisaitl walked from the Oilers and signed a 7x$16M deal with the Bruins/Sharks I can tell you with certainty that all of about zero people would be analyzing the Bruins or Sharks cap situations and how Draisaitl isn't actually that good relative to the money. It would be a celebratory atmosphere of dancing on the Oilers grave while cheerleading the move for the team that got him.

Watching the mental gymnastics people primarily from Vancouver, Calgary and Toronto are going through to tell themselves it's all ok is hilarious. Would love to visit an alternate universe where the Oilers said "thanks, but no thanks, need the cap room" and let Draisaitl walk, which is apparently what these fools think the more prudent course of action would be.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Nah. Drai isnt as good as Mack.

I agree with you. Nathan MacKinnon is one of the VERY few players in the world better than Leon Draisaitl most of the time.

MacKinnon signed his deal two years ago, two weeks from the day Leon signed, in a flat 83.5M cap. Draisaitl signed in-between the most substantial cap bump in 5 years, ahead of another substantial projected cap bump before his new deal kicks in.

MacKinnon would pay $827,000 more a year in taxes if he played in Edmonton instead of Denver.

Figure it out.

Reactions: TheNumber4

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I agree with you. Nathan MacKinnon is one of the VERY few players in the world better than Leon Draisaitl most of the time.

MacKinnon signed his deal two years ago, two weeks from the day Leon signed, in a flat 83.5M cap. Draisaitl signed in-between the most substantial cap bump in 5 years, ahead of another substantial projected cap bump before his new deal kicks in.

MacKinnon would pay $827,000 more a year in taxes if he played in Edmonton instead of Denver.

Figure it out.

Pretty sure Mack's agent Pat Brisson is more than capable of forseeing this cap rise two years ago and could have gotten Mack more than 12.6M.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
That’s still 50% or more of your cap tied to 4 players. 4 other D’s, 11 forwards, and 2 goalies for the other 50%.
They will move Nurse years. His contract was front loaded. Once they pay his signing bonus in a few years his contract is very managable for a rebuilding team.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Agree with the rest, but ???

Nuge was 165pts in 199 games the three seasons prior.

Danault was 124 in 205.
I just pulled it from the Oilersnation article I linked. That’s my fault, it’s referencing 5on5 points.
IMG_2406.jpeg

Reactions: bucks_oil

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
No, I realized trying to rationalize with the irrational is futile.

Crosby and Malkin took a few million less a year than they could have so they could be competitive.

Kane & Toews took 5yr deals in 2010-11 for 6.3m/yr which is just absurd for a massive cut - The max was 11.88 that year.
Alfredsson and that 1yr of 1m for the team.
Selanne and Kariya and their contracts with Colorado.
Tavares and his contract with the Isles, was one of the biggest bargains for them.

McDavid for example was offered 750k more than what he's getting now, his discount to the team was 750k less per year (which would have made his cap hit 13.25m)

Joe Thornton always took a discount, basically each of his contracts was him taking a lot less than he could have and this was during his prime years.

Bergeron took pay cuts to bring in players, I recall a story about him taking less so the Bruins could bring in Chara. For one of the best Captain's in the game and the best 2-way player of this era, yeah he took massive pay cuts.

Oh here's a very good one - Brayden Point took a lot less and a 3yr deal to keep the Bolts competitive, he was a 90pt player making 6.75m/yr for 3yrs. For a player that in that contract put up 262pts in 267 games.

Oh and on that topic, Kucherov took an insanely big pay cut.

This is just Draisaitl's new contract - McDavid, Skinner, Bouchard all will need new ones and Bouchard is going to see a massive jump in his salary, he's likely not taking anything less than what Nurse makes that's for certain, so he's likely in the 10+ range and that's if he doesn't have an insane year again which pushes that up even more. Skinner, if he builds on last season, will likely see a decent increase as well and I guess you can hope for another 750k massively generous pay cut by McDavid.

Nah mate, obviously the Cap is going to up to the right amount each time just so the Oilers can stay competitive with more cap space. Duh.

If you think that path is going to be the same...they were taken to a Game 7 by a team with a rookie goalie in net and missing one of their top scorers for Game 7.
"Taken to Game 7" doesn't mean anything.

Oilers faced 3 division champion teams en route to the Stanley Cup. This bullshit about having an easy path is absolutely sad.

Can only imagine how much easier their path would have been if they had drawn a bunch of teams that squeaked into the playoffs.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
"Taken to Game 7" doesn't mean anything.

Oilers faced 3 division champion teams en route to the Stanley Cup. This bullshit about having an easy path is absolutely sad.

Can only imagine how much easier their path would have been if they had drawn a bunch of teams that squeaked into the playoffs.

In the (small) brains of some, any Oiler success can’t be because the Oilers are good or deserved to win. There is always some conspiracy for why they win, or dismissing any opponent that they beat as shitty, but that’s only after the fact.

The Stars were getting lauded as the deepest team ever until they weren’t. Ditto for the 2022 Flames. Cup contenders, only until it was determined they weren’t that good after they lost.

The time and effort some here are putting into explaining why the Oilers suck despite successes would be hilarious if it weren’t so sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad