Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] F Leon Draisaitl signs extension with the Oilers (8 years, $14M AAV; begins 2025-26)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Ok lol. I can see that there's no having a rational conversation with somebody who actually believes this.
That and RNH being a 3rd liner is some of your finest work in the hot take department.
He is what he is 🤷‍♂️

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Yeah I forgot that part was wrong and was going to edit it but left it after looking it up to just double check before this site refreshed on my mobile. In either case, taking that massive salary at this age, they've effectively made it harder, not easier, to build on last seasons momentum.

This thread should be an interesting one to revisit at seasons end, a good bookmark.
So what's the alternative? trading him and making the team worse to save on cap space?

signing him effectively keep the window open a lot longer

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
Players might take less when they sign short term deals but no established top players in the league take a discount on 8 year deals, especially one of the best players in the league. When you have players at the level of McDavid, Draisaitl, and Bouchard on one team and they do what in the season and even raise their play in the playoffs, you are always going to be up against the cap, the Oilers have been up against the cap for years now, this is nothing new. Cap management is what the offseason is for. The Oilers are just as much a Cup contender going into next season as they were as the team that lost by 1 goal in game 7 and they are actually better in my opinion. They are just going to have to adjust and move pieces around to make it work. No one thought the Oilers could improve this offseason and they added 2 top 6 forwards. I still see some good years left in the tank for this team as long as they make the right moves. It will be tight but it's doable. I don't see McDavid and Draisaitl having any significant decline in their play anytime soon so the Oilers should still be in the mix for awhile yet as long as the cap goes up and management does their job.

Reactions: zar

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Where is the "shit" talk?

McDavid has and always will be the driver of that team, and anyone who says otherwise is kidding themselves. I personally think Draisaitl is very much overrated and have provided reasoning as to why. He simply isn't an elite level producer or driver when away from McDavid, but the good thing for the Oilers is that they don't need to worry about that for now. You many disagree and that's fine. I even went as far as to say that I totally understand why the Oilers are comfortable making this signing, and that it makes complete sense for them. This signing only becomes incredibly bad in a hurry if McDavid leaves, and the chances of that happening are slim to none.
you mean he isn't as good playing with the best player in the world than without him? no kidding...MacKinnon would be a better player playing with McDavid than without him

and let's face it, McDavid gets on the best wingers on the team (Hyman, RNH) while Drai is stuck with 3rd liners or broken players (Kane, Foegele)

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
He is right about RNH being very underpaid. He is making same amount of money as 5th Dman Zadorov. He would be making at least 7.5 mil on other teams which when you take into account the multiple years, it would seem like leaving 20 million on the table. Thats is pretty significant. I would rather play in Columbus with that extra 20 million.
You are using hindsight to determine the deal, and then compounding the issue comparing a deal from 4 years ago to one signed last month when the cap is projected to go significantly higher. RNH was also coming off a season where his scoring pace would have put him at about 50 points if he played all 82 games.

As a non-Oilers fan - I thought they got RNH at a little of a discount when he signed his current deal. With that said - at the time of the deal I saw him as a solid 2nd liner who consistently had injury issues, and the deal was taking him until he was 36 YO. Obviously - he's performed at a signficantly higher rate after that deal was signed - so good on the Oilers. I don't think that RNH gave the Oilers this huge discount though. I saw it as a guy who had significant injury issues decide to maybe leave a little max earning potential on the table to tie up as much financial security as he could.

Reactions: zar

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
you mean he isn't as good playing with the best player in the world than without him? no kidding...MacKinnon would be a better player playing with McDavid than without him

and let's face it, McDavid gets on the best wingers on the team (Hyman, RNH) while Drai is stuck with 3rd liners or broken players (Kane, Foegele)
With Arvidsson and Skinner joining the team this will be the first time the Oilers have had four legitimate top 6 wingers entering a season in the McDavid era so they hopefully don't have to keep mixing and matching 3rd and 4th liners in the top 6 to find something that works. That doesn't even include Kane but who knows what his future with team is at this point.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
You are using hindsight to determine the deal, and then compounding the issue comparing a deal from 4 years ago to one signed last month when the cap is projected to go significantly higher. RNH was also coming off a season where his scoring pace would have put him at about 50 points if he played all 82 games.

As a non-Oilers fan - I thought they got RNH at a little of a discount when he signed his current deal. With that said - at the time of the deal I saw him as a solid 2nd liner who consistently had injury issues, and the deal was taking him until he was 36 YO. Obviously - he's performed at a signficantly higher rate after that deal was signed - so good on the Oilers. I don't think that RNH gave the Oilers this huge discount though. I saw it as a guy who had significant injury issues decide to maybe leave a little max earning potential on the table to tie up as much financial security as he could.
Was a gamble that in hindsight benefitted the Oilers. People always base contracts on what they are doing currently and not what they did prior to actually getting that contract. 8 years at the time was a lot for a player who kept pacing for 50ish points

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
So what's the alternative? trading him and making the team worse to save on capspace?

signing him effectively keep the window open a lot longer
To a cap hit that will handcuff them further when McDavid gets his even bigger contract and Bouchard gets his. The salary cap can go up but it likely won't go up enough to make that work out. I know blokes here love to live in fantasy land to fix issues, but as the old saying here goes "let's be reality for a sec.."

Mcdavid hits 28 in Jan and Draisaitl is 29 in October. That window with those contracts is going to be insanely tough to make work and then the assumption players will take less to go there is rather ridiculous.

Skinner literally took less because of his buyout, which is normal for most players after a buyout.

I'm not saying it's impossible, I'm pointing out the reality of these massive contacts and cap hits. Cap is reportedly set to go up from 88m this year to possibly 92m.

This would be the biggest jump in Salary Cap since the 2019 year when it went up 4.5m from 75 to 79.5. So the 92 isn't even guaranteed. They usually go a few years of 1-1.5 increases after a jump of anything around 4m. They just recently went from 83.5 to 88m likely because of Utah and revenue. I would think given the trend of the cap it'll more than likely just to to 89.5-90m for 25-26.

The owners have to agree to this and this means the cap floor also goes up and that's the key here. Lower limit this year is 65m. 85% of the midpoint (76.5 is mid this year, high 88). Because that cap floor going up it may affect smaller market teams so increments help them mitigate that. To jump from 2022-23 to 2025-26 to 8.5m is a lot in the overall scheme of things if the projected 92m happens.

I think it's more than likely it does a small 1m bump for a year and another 1.5 the next and then a 4-5m bump in 3 years. The salary cap is the single biggest obstacle in repeating or even winning. Vegas is a mess after theirs and are being kept a closer eye on for more LTIR bs. Tampa literally won two cheating that system that the league still refuses to take a better look into. But that's the only way they can figure shit out. Literally Kane's LTIR is what's helping them this off season (and not helping).

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012

Hmm, I wonder why Draisaitl gets lesser wingers.

Malkin literally won a cup in 2009 with Fedotenko and Max Talbot as his wingers in the finals. That's the hard reality of the Salary cap. Because Sid And Geno didn't go ham on their next contracts, they were able to finesse Kessel, Hornqvist and some timely adds for vets and youth on top of having decent depth already.

Drai having a bigger cap hit screws him more than anything. Now you have Skinner and Arvidsson, which will help but it also means both need to workout exceptionally well and for one of those players it means being healthy.

Losing two young players that were likely going to take a step forward in their game and development, especially like Broberg and also moving Ceci in hopes some others workout is also a risk. They supported the top 6, got weaker on D as a result. That's one area each cup winner has boasted for depth, so unless some very shrewd moves are made at the TDL or some miracles happen with some of that D, that cap structure is already their biggest issue and will be a bigger one for years.

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
This would be the biggest jump in Salary Cap since the 2019 year when it went up 4.5m from 75 to 79.5. So the 92 isn't even guaranteed. They usually go a few years of 1-1.5 increases after a jump of anything around 4m. They just recently went from 83.5 to 88m likely because of Utah and revenue. I would think given the trend of the cap it'll more than likely just to to 89.5-90m for 25-26.

The owners have to agree to this and this means the cap floor also goes up and that's the key here. Lower limit this year is 65m. 85% of the midpoint (76.5 is mid this year, high 88). Because that cap floor going up it may affect smaller market teams so increments help them mitigate that. To jump from 2022-23 to 2025-26 to 8.5m is a lot in the overall scheme of things if the projected 92m happens.

I think it's more than likely it does a small 1m bump for a year and another 1.5 the next and then a 4-5m bump in 3 years. The salary cap is the single biggest obstacle in repeating or even winning. Vegas is a mess after theirs and are being kept a closer eye on for more LTIR bs. Tampa literally won two cheating that system that the league still refuses to take a better look into. But that's the only way they can figure shit out. Literally Kane's LTIR is what's helping them this off season (and not helping).
I disagree completely...the players don't have to pay into escrow anymore and the Covid years are behind us...hence why the cap went up 4.5 million this year alone
couple that with a new, soon-to-be record breaking Canadian TV deal...I see it going up to almost 100 million by 2026 (when McDavid's new deal starts)

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
After watching Katz roll up the Brinks truck for Draisaitl ($112m) and knowing that Bouchard will get at least $10m x 8 ($80m) and McDavid will get at least $16m x 8 ($128m),
RNH has got to be feeling like a real chump for accepting a team friendly deal of $5.125m x 8 ($41m).
lol RNH is wildly overrated. Most undeserved 100 point season since Brown maybe

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

Malkin literally won a cup in 2009 with Fedotenko and Max Talbot as his wingers in the finals. That's the hard reality of the Salary cap. Because Sid And Geno didn't go ham on their next contracts, they were able to finesse Kessel, Hornqvist and some timely adds for vets and youth on top of having decent depth already.

didn't Sid sign an unprecedented 12-year contract...something not allowed in today's CBA?
you can't compare the contract of Sid to Draisaitl's

and yes Malkin did go "ham" on his next contract...his 5 year/8.7 mil contract took up 15.32% of the cap at the time (2008)

Drai having a bigger cap hit screws him more than anything. Now you have Skinner and Arvidsson, which will help but it also means both need to workout exceptionally well and for one of those players it means being healthy.

Losing two young players that were likely going to take a step forward in their game and development, especially like Broberg and also moving Ceci in hopes some others workout is also a risk. They supported the top 6, got weaker on D as a result. That's one area each cup winner has boasted for depth, so unless some very shrewd moves are made at the TDL or some miracles happen with some of that D, that cap structure is already their biggest issue and will be a bigger one for years.
meh, that's the least of our concerns at the moment
defense is thin yes, most we've never been deeper up front

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010

Crosby and Malkin were signed to contracts that circumvented the cap. Both those guys got paid.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
I disagree completely...the players don't have to pay into escrow anymore and the Covid years are behind us...hence why the cap went up 4.5 million this year alone
couple that with a new, soon-to-be record breaking Canadian TV deal...I see it going up to almost 100 million by 2026 (when McDavid's new deal starts)
No. Escrow is based on the 50-50 revenue split and how the cap is calculated. Basically, the more teams spend to the cap, the more escrow the players have to pay.

As for cap increases:

RZeoBIb.png

Maximum the cap can increase in a given year is 5% (although the PA and NHL could always negotiate a different number if they wanted to).

Without the lag formula and the maximum year-over-year increase, the cap would already be over 100M based on most recent league revenues (6.43B).

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Ah ok so you lot choose to live in fantasy land. You don't actually want a constructive discussion. Just to believe in the hope of the cap going way up.

Ps - the league raising the cap 8.5 from 2022 to now is them catching up. Prior to that, I don't know, maybe even a tiny bit of research will do here, they don't keep doing 4m jumps as it's unsustainable for the rest of the league. By your logic the cap floor is likely to be around 70-72m in 2yrs.

The reason it went up the last couple of seasons is because from 2019-20 to 2021-22 the league, like the rest of the world, had pandemic related issues.

It went from 5.09b in revenue in 2018-19 to 4.37 because of the stoppage and then down to 2.33b in the covid year, back up to 5.93b and 6.43b - which is showing that it's already levelling off to a more realistic increase from the pre-pandemic revenue. Which is back in line with the trajectory it was on before the pandemic hit. That's the league already playing catch up. It's not going to jump so much that it'll make these insane contracts, easy to work around.

So you think from 2024-25 to 2025-26, they're going to increase the cap by 12m?

LOL

To have the league get into 100m range, they need a lot of the owners to buy into that as a number as sustainable especially given the way it changes the cap floor and small market teams.

6.43B in revenue is at the end of 2023. Its likely this year it was closer to 6.8B - The NBA was at 10.58B and MLB 11.6B. The rate the MLS is going, they'll probably catch up to the NHL in 2yrs.

Last edited:

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Both Sid & Geno took a lot less to keep their team competitive as they signed their extensions, their first one after the 1st cup.

I think this is a bit of revisionism. On their first extensions, Crosby and Malkin signed at 15.3% of the cap, slightly above Draisaitl's contract assuming we jump to at least $92m next season.

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
Yes, Draisaitl is a three time 50+ goal scorer, five time 100+ point scorer, Hart and Ross winner, all time playoff performer. That's what he is

RNH has put up top 6 numbers his entire career. That's what he is, a top 6 player.
Don’t bother. You could throw objective stats at some of those posters and he would find a way to tell you how his feelings disagree with statistics.
lol RNH is wildly overrated. Most undeserved 100 point season since Brown maybe
RNH, paid 5 million dollars a year, isn’t paid to put up 100 point seasons unlike Huberdeau.

Talk about “undeserved.”

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
After watching Katz roll up the Brinks truck for Draisaitl ($112m) and knowing that Bouchard will get at least $10m x 8 ($80m) and McDavid will get at least $16m x 8 ($128m),
RNH has got to be feeling like a real chump for accepting a team friendly deal of $5.125m x 8 ($41m).
RNH - "I'm gonna take less so we can add better players and maybe win a cup some day"

*Oilers handing out two 100m+ contracts in that span, Nurse getting a 74m contract...and likely a massive 80+m one as well for Bouchard"....lmao

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
When all your highest paid players are forwards vs. A mixture of forward and defenders, there is definite a difference.
still ALOT less to play with for the rest of the team. when u cant afford depth ur stars need to completely carry the load. which becomes easier to play against. shutdown the core 4 and u beat them. but cap is rising so maybe things workout. also when one of those Dman is Nurse. I dont think its that good of a thing.

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Ah ok so you lot choose to live in fantasy land. You don't actually want a constructive discussion. Just to believe in the hope of the cap going way up.
give me a reason why it won't go up

Ps - the league raising the cap 8.5 from 2022 to now is them catching up. Prior to that, I don't know, maybe even a tiny bit of research will do here, they don't keep doing 4m jumps as it's unsustainable for the rest of the league. By your logic the cap floor is likely to be around 70-72m in 2yrs.

The reason it went up the last couple of seasons is because from 2019-20 to 2021-22 the league, like the rest of the world, had pandemic related issues.

It went from 5.09b in revenue in 2018-19 to 4.37 because of the stoppage and then down to 2.33b in the covid year, back up to 5.93b and 6.43b - which is showing that it's already levelling off to a more realistic increase from the pre-pandemic revenue. Which is back in line with the trajectory it was on before the pandemic hit. That's the league already playing catch up. It's not going to jump so much that it'll make these insane contracts, easy to work around.

So you think from 2024-25 to 2025-26, they're going to increase the cap by 12m?

LOL
I said close to 100 mil
that's not that far-fetched for the reasons I gave already

in a 3-year span pre-covid (from 17-20) the cap went up 6.5 million BEFORE the US TV deal and during the recent Canadian TV deal and NO World Cup/Olympic participation

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
RNH - "I'm gonna take less so we can add better players and maybe win a cup some day"

*Oilers handing out two 100m+ contracts in that span, Nurse getting a 74m contract...and likely a massive 80+m one as well for Bouchard"....lmao
I don’t understand what the problem is. Some of you sound delusional as if having RNH at a discount, or getting McDrai for fair deals is a problem. It also sounds dumb as rocks since these comments don’t take into account the rising cap whatsoever. This isn’t a new phenomenon.

The Nurse contract sucks but that’s about it out of the core players.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Lol. I know you like the hot takes but this one is piping hot.

More hot takes. RNH a 3rd liner? How can you possibly justify this crazy take?
RNH at way underpaid at $5m, he's a $6m guy easy in this current market.
Hold on, so you think 5.125m is underpaid in comparison to 875k more that he deserves at 6m?

Taking a better look at this. He had one aberration of a season at 100pts, given he never hit 70pts in his career before or after that and he's 31 at the moment. Saying he took a discount is probably not even true. He's getting pretty much his actual worth. At the time the assumption was he'd be a 80+ player but that never really materialized. Even with that 100pt season, his ppg is close to say Marchessault who was a 5m/yr player and is now getting 5.5m/yr.

give me a reason why it won't go up

I said close to 100 mil
that's not that far-fetched for the reasons I gave already

in a 3-year span pre-covid (from 17-20) the cap went up 6.5 million BEFORE the US TV deal and during the recent Canadian TV deal and NO World Cup/Olympic participation
I literally gave you logical reasons in this thread with financial numbers and trends as well.

But you lot want to ignore it so it fits your narrative so you do you.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Fair deal. This is a win for the Oilers and Drai’s bank account. McDavid will make over $16mm on his extension. Brochard $10mm or more on his. But the band will remain in place.
As long as Nurse is paying Bouchard 4 million of the 10 I am good with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad