Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] F Leon Draisaitl signs extension with the Oilers (8 years, $14M AAV; begins 2025-26)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
After watching Katz roll up the Brinks truck for Draisaitl ($112m) and knowing that Bouchard will get at least $10m x 8 ($80m) and McDavid will get at least $16m x 8 ($128m),
RNH has got to be feeling like a real chump for accepting a team friendly deal of $5.125m x 8 ($41m).

Ok, but would he rather be in Philadelphia or Columbus making 7M? I think he is fine being on a team like this that can potentially win the cup this coming season.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Even MacKinnon took less so the Avs could have a better line-up, then he took his pay day after. If MacKinnon didn't do that, they wouldn't win the cup as it would have stopped them from signing and trading for certain players, even with the LTIR to Landeskog. This isn't rocket science, players literally talk about taking less to be competitive to maximize their window. Sid and Geno literally talked about it, so did Mack and others have as well.
MacKinnon didn't "take less", he was coming off a season where he scored 52 points in 2016...and the previous years before that were 38 points and 63 points

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
We all know that RNH took less to help the team knowing Draisaitl's and McDavid's contracts would be expiring and Oilers fans cheered him for it. Draisaitl on the other hand...
Are you close personal friends with RNH to know what he was thinking? Given his production at the time, him apparently liking the city/organization, and the fact he was signing for 8 years I think the RNH contract was pretty fair. IMO he certainly wasn't taking less because CM/LD's contracts were expiring in 4 years.

Just in general - lots of gaslighting going on in this thread (HF gonna HF). IMO, Oilers fans should be thrilled because this signifies another probably 5 year stretch where the Oilers are potentially a legit serious contender.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
The Oilers went 10 years without making the playoffs and had the old boys' club running them into the ground! I am not saying it is an excuse for these teams, trust me Arizona got what they deserved, but if the Oilers didn't get McDavid they most likely would have still been in the same mess as Buffalo and Arizona right now.
Well, if the Pens didn't get Lemieux and then Crosby, if the Avs didn't get Mackinnon, if the Hawks didn't get Kane and Toews, if the Leafs didn't get Matthews etc..... What kind of logic is this lol
NHL history is littered with lottery luck.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
There is a certainly irony/humour in this coming from a Canucks fan.
Am just elaborating on what he meant by large margin of error. Dont shoot the messenger 🤣

Well, if the Pens didn't get Lemieux and then Crosby, if the Avs didn't get Mackinnon, if the Hawks didn't get Kane and Toews, if the Leafs didn't get Matthews etc..... What kind of logic is this lol
NHL history is littered with lottery luck.
Difference is all of them won the cup except the Leafs. If Oilers dont win the cup with this core, it will be embarrassing for them and McDavid's legacy will be ruined. All the pressure is now on the Oilers to win now.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Ok, but would he rather be in Philadelphia or Columbus making 7M? I think he is fine being on a team like this that can potentially win the cup this coming season.
He is right about RNH being very underpaid. He is making same amount of money as 5th Dman Zadorov. He would be making at least 7.5 mil on other teams which when you take into account the multiple years, it would seem like leaving 20 million on the table. Thats is pretty significant. I would rather play in Columbus with that extra 20 million.

CanadasTeam99

Jul 22, 2024
... and by one goal in a game 7 series.

Can't we just agree it was a great series by both teams and move on? Plenty of sore winners among that FLA fanbase, at least the vocal ones on HFBoards. Haven't seen that by other recent winners - it's a strange complex.
It was a good series I hate losing, but kudos to Florida. I find so many Florida fans trash talking when they should be over the moon

Draisaitl with McDavid vs without during that stretch. (3 playoffs).

TOI - 374 mins / 475 mins (5v5)
CF% - 59.14 / 45.10
SF% - 56.29 / 43.10
GF% - 69.09 / 38.89
xGF% - 60.23 / 44.56
SCF% - 60.65 / 45.82

Also facts.

14M is a lot to pay a player that hasn't shown the ability to carry his own line - especially in his 30+ years. You'd think a "top 2" player in the world could and would find success with lesser line mates.

In saying that - I don't blame the Oilers for signing this deal and it really is the only feasible outcome. It's the best shot they have at winning, so take that chance while you have it.
Dude that's like shit talking kurri in the 80s. He's a playoff monster. Like what are we even talking about here. Bizarre world

CanadasTeam99

Jul 22, 2024
After watching Katz roll up the Brinks truck for Draisaitl ($112m) and knowing that Bouchard will get at least $10m x 8 ($80m) and McDavid will get at least $16m x 8 ($128m),
RNH has got to be feeling like a real chump for accepting a team friendly deal of $5.125m x 8 ($41m).
He kind of plays like a chump and we still got to game 7

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
This is one of those deals where Oilers fans are just as happy as rival fans about the deal.

I guess we will see who is right. I certainly don't think they can compete after this year with their top 3 players taking up so much salary.

But no way was Draisaitl ever staying at a discount to play in Edmonton.
It's not a matter of being right or wrong.

I'd be willing to bet every GM in the league would have extended him all the same, and every fanbase would defend it the way Oiler fans are if it was their team who signed the deal.

Reactions: zar

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Difference is all of them won the cup except the Leafs. If Oilers dont win the cup with this core, it will be embarrassing for them and McDavid's legacy will be ruined. All the pressure is now on the Oilers to win now.
No argument there. They've already wasted enough prime years of McDavid and Draisaitl with incompetent management.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
He is right about RNH being very underpaid. He is making same amount of money as 5th Dman Zadorov. He would be making at least 7.5 mil on other teams which when you take into account the multiple years, it would seem like leaving 20 million on the table. Thats is pretty significant. I would rather play in Columbus with that extra 20 million.
Money isn't the biggest proponent in everyone's lives.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
Almost none of these guys 'takes less' and frankly they shouldn't. The NHL is a big business driven by money. I know all of us as fans feel the players should care more about winning a Cup and taking less salary to make the team we like better. But that really should not be the player's priority. They should make as much as they can while they can.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
This is one of those deals where Oilers fans are just as happy as rival fans about the deal.

I guess we will see who is right. I certainly don't think they can compete after this year with their top 3 players taking up so much salary.

But no way was Draisaitl ever staying at a discount to play in Edmonton.
This is called a fair market contract. No discount but didn’t take the team to the cleaners, he got exactly what he was worth.

The difference between Toronto and Edmonton is the composition of the top earners.

McDavid > Matthews
Draisaitl = Marner
Bouchard > Nylander (this you can argue but I believe having the defenceman is going to work out better than being so top heavy on forwards)

Nurse = Tavares (both are just collecting a pay cheque at this point)

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
MacKinnon didn't "take less", he was coming off a season where he scored 52 points in 2016...and the previous years before that were 38 points and 63 points
Yeah I forgot that part was wrong and was going to edit it but left it after looking it up to just double check before this site refreshed on my mobile. In either case, taking that massive salary at this age, they've effectively made it harder, not easier, to build on last seasons momentum.

This thread should be an interesting one to revisit at seasons end, a good bookmark.

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
RNH is in no way underpaid, he was paid according to his production. Assuming RNH would have a 100pt season when he was averaging slightly above 50 for his career is like winning the lottery. He’s a good 3rd liner who can help on the 2nd line and paid like one. Paying him 7.5 would be a very Nurse like contract

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
This is called a fair market contract. No discount but didn’t take the team to the cleaners, he got exactly what he was worth.

The difference between Toronto and Edmonton is the composition of the top earners.

McDavid > Matthews
Draisaitl = Marner
Bouchard > Nylander (this you can argue but I believe having the defenceman is going to work out better than being so top heavy on forwards)

really is no difference. the less there is for the rest of the team the easier both will be to play against. McDavid and Drai likely wont win series or a cup alone. but cap is going up so might become a greater advantage then the leafs had through the flat cap. EDM atleast has time to save money on the overall cap % paid

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Dude that's like shit talking kurri in the 80s. He's a playoff monster. Like what are we even talking about here. Bizarre world

Where is the "shit" talk?

McDavid has and always will be the driver of that team, and anyone who says otherwise is kidding themselves. I personally think Draisaitl is very much overrated and have provided reasoning as to why. He simply isn't an elite level producer or driver when away from McDavid, but the good thing for the Oilers is that they don't need to worry about that for now. You many disagree and that's fine. I even went as far as to say that I totally understand why the Oilers are comfortable making this signing, and that it makes complete sense for them. This signing only becomes incredibly bad in a hurry if McDavid leaves, and the chances of that happening are slim to none.

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
really is no difference. the less there is for the rest of the team the easier both will be to play against. McDavid and Drai likely wont win series or a cup alone. but cap is going up so might become a greater advantage then the leafs had through the flat cap. EDM atleast has time to save money on the overall cap % paid
When all your highest paid players are forwards vs. A mixture of forward and defenders, there is definite a difference.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

McDavid > Matthews
Draisaitl = Marner

Lol. I know you like the hot takes but this one is piping hot.

RNH is in no way underpaid, he was paid according to his production. Assuming RNH would have a 100pt season when he was averaging slightly above 50 for his career is like winning the lottery. He’s a good 3rd liner who can help on the 2nd line and paid like one. Paying him 7.5 would be a very Nurse like contract
More hot takes. RNH a 3rd liner? How can you possibly justify this crazy take?
RNH at way underpaid at $5m, he's a $6m guy easy in this current market.

Reactions: Duke74

CanadasTeam99

Jul 22, 2024
Where is the "shit" talk?

McDavid has and always will be the driver of that team, and anyone who says otherwise is kidding themselves. I personally think Draisaitl is very much overrated and have provided reasoning as to why. He simply isn't an elite level producer or driver when away from McDavid, but the good thing for the Oilers is that they don't need to worry about that for now. You many disagree and that's fine. I even went as far as to say that I totally understand why the Oilers are comfortable making this signing, and that it makes complete sense for them. This signing only becomes incredibly bad in a hurry if McDavid leaves, and the chances of that happening are slim to none.
What you personally think means nothing lol. Drai is mcdavids sidekick. That is what I said. McDavid is the driver.

McDavid isn't leaving. That's what has everybody here sad lol. They all thought drai and McDavid would leave

Sorry guys. Aint happening

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
When you evaluate a player without taking into account who they play with, it’s not a hot take. Marner and Nylander are ranked around the 10th best wingers in the NHL. That’s likely a similar position Draisaitl would be ranked without McDavid

• Haha

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015

More hot takes. RNH a 3rd liner? How can you possibly justify this crazy take?
RNH at way underpaid at $5m, he's a $6m guy easy in this current market.
Those aren’t even hot takes to him. It’s his genuine poor analysis of hockey.

Reactions: Duke74 and zar

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
When you evaluate a player without taking into account who they play with, it’s not a hot take. Marner and Nylander are ranked around the 10th best wingers in the NHL. That’s likely a similar position Draisaitl would be ranked without McDavid
Ok lol. I can see that there's no having a rational conversation with somebody who actually believes this.
That and RNH being a 3rd liner is some of your finest work in the hot take department.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad