Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] F Leon Draisaitl signs extension with the Oilers (8 years, $14M AAV; begins 2025-26)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Drai's a smart guy, he wants to stay winning. Just like McDavid, another Oiler for Life. Sorry Leafs Fans.
There's still a chance McDavid could leave. nothing is guaranteed. but I think Drai extending puts McDavid like 95% likely to extend.
as fun as it would be to get McDavid if he leaves Edmonton I don't think it's Toronto he's going to. I bet somewhere warm. I think what really matters is what does Mrs. McDavid want?

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Fedorov, 4th round
Vyacheslav Kozlov, 3rd round
Konstantinov, 11th round
Osgood, 3rd round
McCarty, 2nd round
Holmstrom, 10th round
Dandenault, 2nd round
Datsyuk, 6th round
Zetterberg, 6th round
Hudler, 2nd round
Fleischmann, 2nd round
Filppula, 3rd round
Jonathan Ericsson, 9th round
Jimmy Howard, 2nd round
Kyle Quincy, 4th round
Franzen, 3rd round
Nyqvist, 4th round
Tatar, 2nd round
Mrazek, 5th round
Athanasiou, 4th round
Bertuzzi, 2nd round
Hronek, 2nd round

And many, many more NHLers drafted in the later rounds, literally too many to list.

It wasn’t luck. Whoever was in charge of drafting for DET from ‘89 to like ‘04 is literally the GOAT. It was still good as well until about 2016, but not on the previous level.

One of these names seems like it doesn’t belong with the others

Coffees

blackhawk down
Nov 12, 2021
Massachusetts
why? I don't get it? was a nice signing and prob going to really help keep McDavid. great moves for Edmonton, not sure why we would care though. maybe this would make more sense on a McDavid extension thread since alot of Leafs fans think McDavid is going to sign in Toronto as a UFA.

not sure why so many fans of other teams think of us so much.
I love you Arthur, you’re a good poster. But I’m referring to a one particular biased poster

Reactions: Arthur Morgan

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
What’s yours is the real question . Blah blah blah
My point is proving inflation exists so quit comparing salaries from 40 years ago. Its pointless, which is what my point was comparing expenses today with decades ago.

Not true at all. I believe people should get second chances no matter the team theyre on.
Again if Canucks had them, people would hate on them for the same reasons so i dont know why Edmonton should be different. People dont like Bowman because of his coverup in Chicago. His character is flawed.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

snag

Feb 22, 2014
Fedorov, 4th round
Vyacheslav Kozlov, 3rd round
Konstantinov, 11th round
Osgood, 3rd round
McCarty, 2nd round
Holmstrom, 10th round
Dandenault, 2nd round
Datsyuk, 6th round
Zetterberg, 6th round
Hudler, 2nd round
Fleischmann, 2nd round
Filppula, 3rd round
Jonathan Ericsson, 9th round
Jimmy Howard, 2nd round
Kyle Quincy, 4th round
Franzen, 3rd round
Nyqvist, 4th round
Tatar, 2nd round
Mrazek, 5th round
Athanasiou, 4th round
Bertuzzi, 2nd round
Hronek, 2nd round

And many, many more NHLers drafted in the later rounds, literally too many to list.

It wasn’t luck. Whoever was in charge of drafting for DET from ‘89 to like ‘04 is literally the GOAT. It was still good as well until about 2016, but not on the previous level.

It also wasn't until what, 2018 that the salary cap caught up to the dynasty Red Wings? ROFL
I get good drafting is part of it......but being able to retain the talent is another.

Crazy to think too for example in Anaheim in 2000, Kariya was making $10mill (about $18.1mill today). Mindboggling.

Last edited:

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Connor McDavid easily gets a 17 million dollar plus extension. Right?

Maybe 18.

snag

Feb 22, 2014
My point is proving inflation exists so quit comparing salaries from 40 years ago. Its pointless, which is what my point was comparing expenses today with decades ago.

Again if Canucks had them, people would hate on them for the same reasons so i dont know why Edmonton should be different. People dont like Bowman because of his coverup in Chicago. His character is flawed.

It is not a unique thing in fandom. Yeah, people would hate on them....and Canucks fans would defend him.

Case in point....

The way Flames fans defended Wideman while the hockey world was like "wtf?" was kinda amusing too....

Crow

May 19, 2014
Can they remain competitive when 3 players will most likely take 40million of cap space when McDavid and Bouchard re-signs?
If those three keep up their playoff performances or even regress slightly I would say yes absolutely.

When you add in nurse it might be an issue. He needs to step it up to his previous level.

Last edited:

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
It also wasn't until what, 2018 that the salary cap caught up to the dynasty Red Wings? ROFL
I get good drafting is part of it......but being able to retain the talent is another.

Crazy to think too for example in Anaheim in 2000, Kariya was making $10mill (about $18.1mill today). Mindboggling.
Red Wings made a few big blunders, keeping Franzen and him coming down with head injuries over signing/keeping Hossa was one. They decided too not to pay guys like Nyquist/Tatar long-term and did pay guys like Howard/Abdelkader/Helm/DeKeyser/Clearly long-term.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Connor McDavid easily gets a 17 million dollar plus extension. Right?

Maybe 18.

And which team can afford that kind of contract with out screwing over their roster structure and still be able to compete for the cup?

snag

Feb 22, 2014
And which team can afford that kind of contract with out screwing over their roster structure and still be able to compete for the cup?

One that defers over 30 years...and maybe has a guy or two (or three) develop some mysterious internal ailment and go on LTIR jussssssst long enough. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Snuggs

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
Not a single team in the league would say no to having the opportunity to sign Draisaitl to his extension or McDavid to a ~17 million dollar extension, much less both. It's a good problem to have.

With that said, there are probably less than 5 management teams who have the creativity to make that work, and I don't think Edmonton's is one of them (and you may not have confidence in your own team's ability, which is fair). But the margin for error is large.

Reactions: Snuggs

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
The one who spends the wisest. Lol.

If he actually hits UFA, he'll get a ridiculous number. IMO, He'll let management know his plans before he ever makes it that far, they've got a year to not worry.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
There's still a chance McDavid could leave. nothing is guaranteed. but I think Drai extending puts McDavid like 95% likely to extend.
as fun as it would be to get McDavid if he leaves Edmonton I don't think it's Toronto he's going to. I bet somewhere warm. I think what really matters is what does Mrs. McDavid want?
Mrs. McDavid probably feels similar to what her best best friend, Celeste does. She wants McDavid to get what he wants, and that's to win. It's all about winning for McDavid, this much is obvious.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Yes, but Draisaitl confirmed they talked. They want to win as part of this group. Every media guy I have heard since this signing says it now is 99% McDavid extends.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Not a single team in the league would say no to having the opportunity to sign Draisaitl to his extension or McDavid to a ~17 million dollar extension, much less both. It's a good problem to have.

With that said, there are probably less than 5 management teams who have the creativity to make that work, and I don't think Edmonton's is one of them (and you may not have confidence in your own team's ability, which is fair). But the margin for error is large.
You mean margin for error is miniscule not large if you have 2 huge contracts with another 2 big ones, one being nurse and the other being the pending contract to Bouchard. Which means that every dollar in the remaining cap space after those signings need to be accounted for and used effeciently to fill out the roster and one bad signing could make the team go from cup contenders to just a playoff team that exits early every year like the Leafs.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
It is not a unique thing in fandom. Yeah, people would hate on them....and Canucks fans would defend him.

Case in point....

The way Flames fans defended Wideman while the hockey world was like "wtf?" was kinda amusing too....

They defended him because they know what happened. He got his bell rung and wasn’t thinking straight at all. It’s a well known phenomenon.

Was biking one time with my brothers and crashed and hit my head. When they were trying to help me up, I started pushing them and swearing at them and yelling at them in Spanish. I took Spanish in high school, but otherwise don’t speak it. I have absolutely no memory of it, and could not tell you why I reacted that way. They thought it was hilarious after and tease me about it all the time.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Yes, but Draisaitl confirmed they talked. They want to win as part of this group. Every media guy I have heard since this signing says it now is 99% McDavid extends.
Yeah McDavid will extend. The problem would now be cap space remaining to sign Bouchard and Ekholm, their first pairing on D. If I was a rival team like Vancouver, i would pounce on signing Ekholm in FA and made sure Oilers dont sign him, effectively making them weaker on D. Blues was just one instance that a team preyed on Oilers being cap strapped but i think there will be more of these instances in the future for the oilers when they sign McDavid.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
You mean margin for error is miniscule not large if you have 2 huge contracts with another 2 big ones, one being nurse and the other being the pending contract to Bouchard. Which means that every dollar in the remaining cap space after those signings need to be accounted for and used effeciently to fill out the roster and one bad signing could make the team go from cup contenders to just a playoff team that exits early every year like the Leafs.
I do mean large because I would consider what Edmonton has done up to this point as below average. They wasted their early years on lower AAV contracts. Money is tied up in Nurse. Went after the wrong goalie and probably still have question marks there.

And they still made the cup final? C'mon. With a competent management group, that team should've been in the finals at least 1-2 times prior to this year.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

So dumping enough contracts with out retention to afford a 18m contract. If he wants to be on a contending team with another club that contending team isn't going to be quite as contending as one would think.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
I do mean large because I would consider what Edmonton has done up to this point as below average. They wasted their early years on lower AAV contracts. Money is tied up in Nurse. Went after the wrong goalie and probably still have question marks there.

And they still made the cup final? C'mon. With a competent management group, that team should've been in the finals at least 1-2 times prior to this year.
I guess you mean expectation for oilers management isnt that high after having almost 10 years of McDavid and Drai without a cup. I guess thats one way of looking at it 😅

Reactions: God

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
You oilers fans confuse me. I got one guy saying Bouchard is an elite #1 and then I got you saying to move on from him, because anybody can do it.
Almost as if fans have differing opinions and trying to paint them all with the same brush seems stupid, eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad