Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] F Leon Draisaitl signs extension with the Oilers (8 years, $14M AAV; begins 2025-26)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
Top 3 forwards + no.1 D + goalie starter:

McDavid (16) + Draisaitl (14) + Bouchard (11) + Hyman (5.5) + Skinner (5?) = 53% of a 97 million cap in 2 years (projected amount)

Crosby (8.7) + Malkin (9.5) + Letang (7.5) + Kessel (6.8) + MAF (5.5) = 53% of a 71 million cap in 2016 when they won their 1st of back to back Cups.

Probably not impossible. People need to understand 40 mill ain't what it used to be.
I don't think mcdavid gets 16 although he could get what ever be wants. I think he comes in at 15. I also can't see Bouchard getting a red cent over 10 million a season

Just my opinion

Reactions: LTIR

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Hmmmm......I thought the Nostradamus' of HF said he was a goner.
What happened was probably the most logical outcome.

Drai maxed out his value to remain in Edmonton for the balance of his career. No discount, no overpayment, no trade and no UFA.

If the same thing happens with McDavid and Bouchard, they'll be signing for $16MM/per and +$10MM/per next summer. And your GM will have to figure out how fill out a team with four players/dead cap dollars consuming at least ~$50mm per year in cap space.

You have a big time window this season and a lesser one next year once Drai and Bouchard are making their big money. Then it really gets tight after that. It's already an older team with nothing much in the farm system or picks to replenish it... So the moment to win is now and it is fleeting fast.

A bold offseason to replace durable, fast skating lower skill guys like Foegele, McLeod, Ceci, Holloway (not durable) and Broberg with more skilled, older injury prone guys like Avadrsson, Perry Skinner and Henrique.

It will be an interesting team to track for sure. You guys really need Brown and Janmark to play like they did in the playoffs... for 82 games and the playoffs again.

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
This isn't basketball buddy! One player can't do it all and never will be able too.

Western Conference Champs! You guys gonna raise the banner for that? 😂😂 I'm legit laughing out loud. Thanks for that this am
At least you've shown your credibility on this subject.

Well played, sir.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013

Drai maxed out his value to remain in Edmonton for the balance of his career. No discount, no overpayment, no trade and no UFA.

If the same thing happens with McDavid and Bouchard, they'll be signing for $16MM/per and +$10MM/per next summer. And your GM will have to figure out how fill out a team with four players/dead cap dollars consuming at least ~$50mm per year in cap space.

You have a big time window this season and a lesser one next year once Drai and Bouchard are making their big money. Then it really gets tight after that. It's already an older team with nothing much in the farm system or picks to replenish it... So the moment to win is now and it is fleeting fast.
If Bouchard wants 10M+ then you just move him for lesser assets. He is not as vital to success as McDavid and Draisaitl.

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
2 years ago before the 2022-2023 season? Absolutely not. You could have made an argument for a couple of players in that #2 spot. It definitely wasn't a consensus.
kuch is in the same tier. next tier down is drai, matthews, etc

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
These people have enough money that it shouldn't matter how much they're paying in taxes. A human being only needs so much. You don't need expensive furniture, clothes, vehicles, homes, or jewellery etc. People are brainwashed by the media and corporate entities. I am sick of the greed in society today. Wtf went wrong? At one time pro athletes had 2nd jobs.

It is just too bad the tax money isn't used properly.
I sort of agree. I think that the brackets should be altered so that the ceilings are bigger, rather than having one bracket for anyone over $200K and four brackets for people between 50-200K. The scaling is punitive to the middle class. However, that's a different conversation than people paying no more than they legally have to.

I think everyone from people that make 50K to people that make 5M should pay what they have to pay and not anymore. That's not mutually exclusive from my belief the middle class (what's left of it) is comparatively overburdened.

Reactions: snag

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Who is going to pass them the puck? 😲

An elite #1 D-man is the most vital position in hockey. Sadly I don't think Bouchard will ever be that.
If Tyson Barrie could do it then we can find someone else. Bouchard bombs are elite but having enough cap space to extend McDavid is worth a lot more.
You move on from Bouchard if he wants 10M+ and find others willing to play for cheaper. He isn't worth more than Makar or Hughes

I hope you’re kidding but if you aren’t then maybe tennis 🎾 is more your game? :laugh:
Tennis is for people who want more than love.

• Haha
Reactions: ManByng

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
If Tyson Barrie could do it then we can find someone else. Bouchard bombs are elite but having enough cap space to extend McDavid is worth a lot more.
You move on from Bouchard if he wants 10M+ and find others willing to play for cheaper. He isn't worth more than Makar or Hughes
Tyson Barrie didn’t do what Bouchard is doing. Bouchard is on another level. I’d have no issue paying him 10 million albeit us obviously like it to be less but it’s 100% going to be in that range and you 100% pay it. Bouchard is the youngest core guy we have you keep him. With McDavid, Drai, Bouch, Skinner we could contend another 10 years.

Half Clapper

Dec 1, 2017
Bouchard would be, by far, the best player in your organization lol
Bouchard on Arizona last year would have been a train wreck. he can't play defence at all, and gets carried by a damn good D-man in Ekholm, who is better than Bouchard.

Context matters here buddy.

• Love
Reactions: Laus723

snag

Feb 22, 2014

A bold offseason to replace durable, fast skating lower skill guys like Foegele, McLeod, Ceci, Holloway (not durable) and Broberg with more skilled, older injury prone guys like Avadrsson, Perry Skinner and Henrique.

It will be an interesting team to track for sure. You guys really need Brown and Janmark to play like they did in the playoffs... for 82 games and the playoffs again.

Agreed. It will also be interesting to see how loyalties play out. Will the Oilers hang on to declining assets that others would still buy in order to stock up....or will the drive em till they drop...and would NMCs be lifted (which I am sure they would if in the twilight they still haven't won a cup).

RickyLafleur

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
You're living in lala world hahah!

You're a bonfide homer, and must not understand how players are propped up based on their team and who they play with. Utah has great assets at every position and are in a great position to be a good team for a long time due to their GM, who has made a lot of great moves, including bending Holland over for Kesselring.
Utah/Arizona has been collecting impressive prospects for over a decade with nothing to show for it. Until the team performs they will continue to draft in the top 10.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
Bouchard is an elite #1 D-man? haha in what world? Wow you guys get more delusional by the day...

I better get off of here for today. The homerism is too much...

By what metric would you say Bouchard isn't an elite #1D? Other than your own bias?

His advanced stats are best in the league, his real offensive boxscore stats are top 3, his passing and shot are both elite, he is stronger than he gets credit for and is a good cycle breaker and he is improving defensively every year, he has an absolutely elite outlet pass and is good at walking the line in zone.. He's 24 btw.

I'll wait for your feedback because surely I wouldn't know watching him play every game of his career.

Reactions: Seanaconda

Half Clapper

Dec 1, 2017
Utah/Arizona has been collecting impressive prospects for over a decade with nothing to show for it. Until the team performs they will continue to draft in the top 10.
They finally got a competent GM in 2020 and the results are starting to show. Hey, the top 10 is better than the Oilers drafted for a decade! They just squandered first-overall picks!

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
You're living in lala world hahah!

You're a bonfide homer, and must not understand how players are propped up based on their team and who they play with. Utah has great assets at every position and are in a great position to be a good team for a long time due to their GM, who has made a lot of great moves, including bending Holland over for Kesselring.

Go ahead and make a poll if you're so sure you're right

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don't think mcdavid gets 16 although he could get what ever be wants. I think he comes in at 15. I also can't see Bouchard getting a red cent over 10 million a season

Just my opinion

Depends on cap growth and expansion teams to come. If there is credible reports on future cap calculations and it's expected to grow a lot, I would expect salaries to be more than what we think today. This actually happened to both the Oilers and Leafs when they originally signed their stars. The cap was expected to grow but then Covid came around and derailed growth for 3-5 years. That was huge hits for both the Leafs and Oilers in terms of additional cap space they were expecting.

Drai got around 15.2% of the cap (rumors are a $92M cap for 25/26). Back in 18/19, McDavid got 15.7% with his $12.5M AAV (cap was $79.5M in 18/19).

McDavid's new contract will start in 26/27. Very possible the cap is around $95M. I would say $15M or $15.5M is a good guess.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
People understate dumb luck in a lot of this too. Fluking out with a Lidstrom in the 4th or 5th round is franchise altering.
I think the days of finding that kind of elite talent so frequently are gone as teams advanced scouting units have them sifting through every nook and cranny for talent. It wasn't like that back in the early 90s not to mention the greater difficulties in getting some of the Russian guys over. Sure you'll get the occasional gem that thrives like Bratt, but if you look at the 89 draft (the Lidstrom draft) you were finding 500 point guys in the 9th-10th rounds and Hall of Famers in the 7th (also in the 11th IMO if Konstantinov didn't have the awful accident). Nowadays you gotta be extra efficient on your top picks because those flukes don't happen very often anymore.

Half Clapper

Dec 1, 2017
By what metric would you say Bouchard isn't an elite #1D? Other than your own bias?

His advanced stats are best in the league, his real offensive boxscore stats are top 3, his passing and shot are both elite, he is stronger than he gets credit for and is a good cycle breaker and he is improving defensively every year, he has an absolutely elite outlet pass and is good at walking the line in zone.. He's 24 btw.

I'll wait for your feedback because surely I wouldn't know watching him play every game of his career.
Advanced stats do not tell the whole picture of a player. They're a flawed metric. Am I saying Bouchard is a bad D-man? No. But he is being propped up by Ekholm a lot, and I would not pay this guy 10 mill until I can see him control play without having one of the best shutdown D-man in the NHL by his side.

Remember how good Nurse looked the year before he signed that contract? Be careful is all I'll say.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Depends on cap growth and expansion teams to come. If there is credible reports on future cap calculations and it's expected to grow a lot, I would expect salaries to be more than what we think today. This actually happened to both the Oilers and Leafs when they originally signed their stars. The cap was expected to grow but then Covid came around and derailed growth for 3-5 years. That was huge hits for both the Leafs and Oilers in terms of additional cap space they were expecting.

Drai got around 15.2% of the cap (rumors are a $92M cap for 25/26). Back in 18/19, McDavid got 15.7% with his $12.5M AAV (cap was $79.5M in 18/19).

McDavid's new contract will start in 26/27. Very possible the cap is around $95M. I would say $15M or $15.5M is a good guess.

95 mill is probably a very low estimate. People are forecasting a 4 mill rise for next summer alone (going up to 92 mill).

After that year the Canadian TV NHL rights contract is up, so it's highly improbable that the cap only goes up another 3 million that year.

snag

Feb 22, 2014

The metric = The Oilers.

That means my 10 year old daughter is a better NHL defenceman than Bouch!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad