Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] F Jeff Skinner signs with the Oilers (1 year, $3M)

Captain Controversy

Apr 30, 2015
Alberta
You have to find the right mix of players and a motivated Skinner seems like a fit for a team with two elite centers. The player has motivation to make the playoffs and motivation to prove himself to score that next big contract.

I don't understand the dislike over this signing, Skinner is skilled and motivated. He'll score a lot of goals. I predict Skinner will score the most game winning goals in the league this season.
If the oilers resign Skinner next year, it will be a similar deal to kane, hyman and nuge.
Kane will be on his way out I imagine.

Last edited:

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
He got some PP points because he was on it, not because he was good on it. Too much time to think, too much time to have to move the puck and he would overhandle. As a shot option, mid range he can do some things but he is far better in the chaos of 5-on-5.
Exactly, did he produce somewhat? Yeah. But it was at the detriment of the rest of the PP.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I don't think either he or Arvidsson need to score like 40 goals or something. If they do great, but anything in the regular season is almost gravy. The Oilers have the same team that basically tied Colorado for most goals for in the regular under Knoblaugh and that was with McDavid playing with a serious abdominal tear that limited his goal scoring from 64 goals the year prior to only 32 this year and Evander Kane being hurt for long stretches too. McDavid could be back to scoring 50+ next season.

In the playoffs if they can cash between the two of them an extra 2-3 goals per round of gimme high danger setups from McDavid and Draisaitl, that will be worth it, whereas guys like Foegele and Holloway (will be a good player but too young at this point to be put under top 6 pressure) and an injured Kane couldn't.

2-3 extra goals per round can have a significant effect on a series, even swing a series. If they can provide more than that, welp, now you're cooking.

Klim Kostin in 2023 added 3 goals for the Oilers in the LA series that probably turned the series or at least allowed Edmonton to finish the Kings in 6 instead of having to go 7. And Kostin had defensive deficiencies for sure, but more often than not, a couple of goals in a tight playoff series are worth their weight in gold. The Oilers honestly should be open to bringing him back at the trade deadline if they can grab him for cheap.

benfranklin

Jun 29, 2024
Listen Ben Franklin, i appreciate your passionate dislike of the Oilers and Skinner, but you'd think by now comparing how a player produces outside the organization and thinking its a marker for future success with our players would be unwise. Do you think playing with Connor McDavid may be slightly different than playing with Curtis Lazar and Victor Oloffson (his top linemates in 20/21)? I'll hang up and listen.

To think adding a guy who can easily pot 30 at 5v5 (for 3 million with zero term!) is a bad move is pretty funny.
I dont dislike the Oilers at all. I think this was a bad move and I think we all agree it can go either way. If he plays with McDavid and/or Drais, could he be Hyman v2? Absolutely. Can an injury happen and he gets catapulted to PP1 and cleans up all the hard work by the big 2 getting easy points? Absolutely.

I think its more likely his lack of defensive effort lands him on he 3rd line pretty quickly and its a waste of a position.

My point in pointing out linemates was showing what he did with Eichel and what he did with Lazar. He is not a line driver and unless he has high end talent (which he will have a chance with in Edm), hes a negative value. He is not a player you put on a shutdown 3rd or 4th line.

McDavid would look like defensive stud too if he had Landeskog and Nichuskin on his wing
Exactly my point in ripping Skinner. The Oilers shouldve targeted a more defensive minded linemate for 97 or 29, not a discounted version of themselves who cant drive play.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
I dont dislike the Oilers at all. I think this was a bad move and I think we all agree it can go either way. If he plays with McDavid and/or Drais, could he be Hyman v2? Absolutely. Can an injury happen and he gets catapulted to PP1 and cleans up all the hard work by the big 2 getting easy points? Absolutely.

I think its more likely his lack of defensive effort lands him on he 3rd line pretty quickly and its a waste of a position.

My point in pointing out linemates was showing what he did with Eichel and what he did with Lazar. He is not a line driver and unless he has high end talent (which he will have a chance with in Edm), hes a negative value. He is not a player you put on a shutdown 3rd or 4th line.

Exactly my point in ripping Skinner. The Oilers shouldve targeted a more defensive minded linemate for 97 or 29, not a discounted version of themselves who cant drive play.
The Oilers definitely should not have brought in a more defensive linemate, The Oilers second line wingers were Foegele and Holloway in the Cup final and neither one is good enough offensively to play in any teams top 6. Neither is very good defensively either. The Oilers have guys like Hyman and Hopkins in their top 6, who are good defensively. Arvidsson is also a really aggressive and hard player to play against. Skinner just needs to score goals, he is not being brought in to play defense. If he doesn't score then it will be an issue. McDavid and Draisaitl drive the play, they need guys with the skill to finish plays. Outside of Hyman, none of their current top 6 wingers are good enough or skilled enough offensively, especially 5 on 5. Bringing in some defensive player that can't score won't solve that problem, the Oilers have enough guys who play hard and can't score, that is why they lost in the Cup final. The Oilers team defense was excellent most of the season and playoffs. They also had limited cap space to spend, they couldn't bring in some elite offensive/defensive player.

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

The Oilers were one of the top defensive teams in the league last year, they allowed fewer GA than the Rangers did with Shesterkin in the playoffs. People really need to understand that Knoblaugh's Oilers are not the previous era Oilers, they are massively better defensively in terms of structure.

If Skinner isn't a fit, he's likely gone at the deadline, if he can bury some easy feeds from McDavid from in close great, if not, cya.

No one needs a "line driver" in Edmonton, they have the best line driver in the modern history of the game and another one who is probably right up there.

If you're coming to play in Edmonton your job is to do simple, generally complimentary tasks at this point. For Skinner the ask is to put some pucks in the net off great feeds from McDavid.

It's not like Foegele was some defensive stalwart, he often took a lot of shit for making boneheaded defensive plays like flying the zone before the D had possession of the puck leading to GA. Holloway was making a bunch of rookie mistakes too. Oilers were able to manage that.

benfranklin

Jun 29, 2024
The Oilers were one of the top defensive teams in the league last year, they allowed fewer GA than the Rangers did with Shesterkin in the playoffs. People really need to understand that Knoblaugh's Oilers are not the previous era Oilers, they are massively better defensively in terms of structure.

If Skinner isn't a fit, he's likely gone at the deadline, if he can bury some easy feeds from McDavid from in close great, if not, cya.

No one needs a "line driver" in Edmonton, they have the best line driver in the modern history of the game and another one who is probably right up there.

If you're coming to play in Edmonton your job is to do simple, generally complimentary tasks at this point. For Skinner the ask is to put some pucks in the net off great feeds from McDavid.

It's not like Foegele was some defensive stalwart, he often took a lot of shit for making boneheaded defensive plays like flying the zone before the D had possession of the puck leading to GA. Holloway was making a bunch of rookie mistakes too. Oilers were able to manage that.
Got it. Theyre going to repeat a historic middle of the season winning streak. That didnt skew their GA at all...Lets assume they win half those games which is more normal and let in 24 combined goals. +1.5 in those 16 games. All of a sudden your one of the top defensive teams in the league (really 10th overall) drops to middle of the pack real fast.

And comparing to the Rangers. The Oilers had a legendary PK in the playoffs. Also unlikely to ever happen again.

But I understand edm drinking the kool-aid since you were literally 2 goals from winning the Cup. A lot of context goes into how that season unfolded though and it isnt as simple as repeating and yay add Skinners 30 goals onto it.

And we all know Vegas isn't going to be the same team we saw. Edm got very lucky the Stars took them out for them.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Got it. Theyre going to repeat a historic middle of the season winning streak. That didnt skew their GA at all...Lets assume they win half those games which is more normal and let in 24 combined goals. +1.5 in those 16 games. All of a sudden your one of the top defensive teams in the league (really 10th overall) drops to middle of the pack real fast.

And comparing to the Rangers. The Oilers had a legendary PK in the playoffs. Also unlikely to ever happen again.

But I understand edm drinking the kool-aid since you were literally 2 goals from winning the Cup. A lot of context goes into how that season unfolded though and it isnt as simple as repeating and yay add Skinners 30 goals onto it.

And we all know Vegas isn't going to be the same team we saw. Edm got very lucky the Stars took them out for them.
The disaster 12 games to start the season also goes into the GA, that won't be repeated either. The Oilers were top three in advanced stats all year. There's no kool-aid being drunk, the Oilers were a legitimately good team by most metrics, unless you think they overachieved for 90 games there shouldn't be widespread regression.

Nogatco Rd

Translator spent all my HF cash
Apr 3, 2021
Youre not wrong about Ralph, but the point was Skinner is a very specialized player. I hope it works out, but Im betting against it and if magially Drais or Mcd get hurt and the Oilers miss the playoffs, Im 100000% blaming the Skinner curse.

Attached a bunch of cards for comparisons sake and what I mean by Draisaitl is useless defensively and thats not necessarily a bad thing, because he puts up so much O, gets O zone starts, etc. Didnt think the Oilers needed another guy like that.

You can have Nichushkin, but he literally will not show up for the playoffs.

No quite literally posted here in the buy out thread to keep this guy as far away from my team as possible.
Just wondering, is there any particular reason you chose to use charts that are 3-4 years old?

benfranklin

Jun 29, 2024
The disaster 12 games to start the season also goes into the GA, that won't be repeated either. The Oilers were top three in advanced stats all year. There's no kool-aid being drunk, the Oilers were a legitimately good team by most metrics, unless you think they overachieved for 90 games there shouldn't be widespread regression.
Im in no way stating theyre bad or going to massively fall off a cliff next year. I expect Vegas to be better and they could easily punch Edm in the mouth. I think Skinner isnt the urgrade everyone thinks he is.

I think the real issue is Draisaitl re-signing. If that lingers and you potentially lose him for nothing, it will be ugly unless you win the Cup next year. Or he re-signs then McDavid boucnes the year after and hes alone. Winning this year wouldve been so good because no one would care if they both left or both sgned for $30M collectively handicapping the team for 8 years.

Just wondering, is there any particular reason you chose to use charts that are 3-4 years old?
Dont pay for the service to get the latest ones.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Oilers have been a 100+ point team in the regular season for multiple years now, no one really gives a shit about a win streak. Good teams have win streaks.

The Oilers were top 5 in the league defensively in the regular season too under Knoblaugh, it wasn't just "well the PK was good in the playoffs that's the only reason why".

Vegas watched their leading scorer and Conn Smythe winner walk out the door and lost Stephenson also, if they want to play us now, bring it on. This is not going to be the same Oilers team from 2 years ago, Knoblaugh is massive upgrade coaching wise on Woodcroft who played nothing but run n' gun hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad