Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] F Jeff Skinner signs with the Oilers (1 year, $3M)

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
And at the same time adding a guy who will be responsible for 50 against. Bonkers.
Jeff Skinner had a very good year 2 years ago. 80 points and +15 on Buffalo's top line.

Last year, his production slipped by over 30 points, and he was -2. Hardly seems like he has cost Buffalo a ton of goals on his own the last two years, does it.

Reactions: FiveFourteenSixOne

paulmm3

Mar 29, 2014
Subjectively from a Buffalo fan, one thing to beware of on Jeff Skinner is the skating. He has really, really lost a step over the last year or two. Long gone are the days of his history as a figure skater making his skating a strength. He's 32 but seems to have aged 6-7 years in the last 1-2 years. Gotta be one of the slowest skaters in the league at this point. He's unlikely to return to his best days for this reason.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Jeff Skinner had a very good year 2 years ago. 80 points and +15 on Buffalo's top line.

Last year, his production slipped by over 30 points, and he was -2. Hardly seems like he has cost Buffalo a ton of goals on his own the last two years, does it.
Yep.

In the last three years combined Skinner is -1.

He's not going to be on for any more goals against than he was in Buffalo, but he could very well be on for a whole lot more for here if he rides shotgun with McDavid and Hyman, which I'm guessing is the plan.

Subjectively from a Buffalo fan, one thing to beware of on Jeff Skinner is the skating. He has really, really lost a step over the last year or two. Long gone are the days of his history as a figure skater making his skating a strength. He's 32 but seems to have aged 6-7 years in the last 1-2 years. Gotta be one of the slowest skaters in the league at this point. He's unlikely to return to his best days for this reason.
I'm not too worried about that. McDavid made it work with Pat Maroon and elevated him to a 27 goal scorer, and Skinner almost has to be a better skater than Maroon.

paulmm3

Mar 29, 2014
Yep.

In the last three years combined Skinner is -1.

He's not going to be on for any more goals against than he was in Buffalo, but he could very well be on for a whole lot more for here if he rides shotgun with McDavid and Hyman, which I'm guessing is the plan.

I'm not too worried about that. McDavid made it work with Pat Maroon and elevated him to a 27 goal scorer, and Skinner almost has to be a better skater than Maroon.

Yeah, I still think he's a good signing for Edmonton and a good fit for where your roster is at. Just to weigh in that having gotten a lot slower on the ice in the last 1-2 years is the biggest difference between the Jeff Skinner most people know and the Jeff Skinner you're getting

benfranklin

Jun 29, 2024

Need to look at more than just the +/- and point totals. Unless you have amazing O zone time cycling around, this dude is essentially a cone out there. Maybe its not specifically a goal against while he is on the ice, but results in turnovers, no back checking, icings, D zone faceoffs for the next line out, etc etc etc.

21-22 - 16 of his 63 points came on the PP - 25%
22-23 - 29 of 82 points came on the PP - 35%
23-24 - 20 of his 46 points came on the PP - 43%

Who is he replacing on the PP? Hyman? Draisaitl? He works well in front, but not doing the dirty work like Hyman, more being a cone until a rebound pops right to him, then his high end finishing will show up. Obviously not going to replace drais on that one timer spot with him.

This is a bad move for a playoff team. Please come back and quote my post next June.

Maybe Knobs will turn him around, but odds are hes a lost cause at this point.

Attachments

• B.png
    B.png
    179.5 KB · Views: 1
  • B 1.png
    B 1.png
    142.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Reactions: Shane Diesel

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Yeah, I still think he's a good signing for Edmonton and a good fit for where your roster is at. Just to weigh in that having gotten a lot slower on the ice in the last 1-2 years is the biggest difference between the Jeff Skinner most people know and the Jeff Skinner you're getting
Fair enough. As long as his brain and hands still work, he'll help us, and he can clearly still shoot it which is the main thing we need him to do.

The guy he's replacing on the roster is Warren Foegele. Who's a decent player, good energy guy, nice guy to have on the team - but he whiffed and biffed so many chances set up for him this year and has a crippling disease where he feels he has to try a dangle at least three times a game and turn the puck over.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Need to look at more than just the +/- and point totals. Unless you have amazing O zone time cycling around, this dude is essentially a cone out there. Maybe its not specifically a goal against while he is on the ice, but results in turnovers, no back checking, icings, D zone faceoffs for the next line out, etc etc etc.
Funnily enough Skinner had more takeaways (37) than giveaways (33) last season.

Edmonton excels in creating o-zone time. What they don't excel at is converting o-zone time to goals. That's all Edmonton needs Skinner to do - fire the puck. McDavid has really come into his own defensively, to the point that he and Hyman can cover for Skinner's warts and let him do the things he does well.

Last edited:

benfranklin

Jun 29, 2024
Funnily enough Skinner had more takeaways (37) than giveaways (33) last season.

The Sabres giveaway machine looks to be Alex Tuch with 82,

Edmonton excels in creating o-zone time. What they don't excel at is converting o-zone time to goals. That's all Edmonton needs Skinner to do - fire the puck. McDavid has really come into his own defensively, to the point that he and Hyman can cover for Skinner's warts and let him do the things he does well.
First solid post i've seen on a plan to utlize him. Most simple look at 30 goals and scream that only.

And that is interesting with Tuch. Woof.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
When Skinner is motivated to play, he’s a guy that will create PP opportunities for the team. He will draw penalties on the other team well, and he’s a guy that will be able to transition up the ice. When he’s not, he’s very invisible often taking possession-killing shots that miss.

He has a tendency to break the zone early when he’s feeling it, and if your team is capable of cashing on those situations, then he should be a benefit of keeping teams a little hesitant with their pressure.

His defensive game is practically nonexistent. If he’s credited with a blocked shot it’s most likely from error and confusing numbers on the ice. He might stumble hard enough into somebody to be given a hit, and again, that might be when he’s motivated enough to play.

He’s going to give Edmonton goals, but he won’t give you much else in the way of winning games.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
First solid post i've seen on a plan to utlize him. Most simple look at 30 goals and scream that only.

And that is interesting with Tuch. Woof.
That is interesting because the poster had it wrong for Tuch. Tuch had 82 takeaways and had 31 giveaways.

Dahlin had the most giveaways at 44.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
That is interesting because the poster had it wrong for Tuch. Tuch had 82 takeaways and had 31 giveaways.

Dahlin had the most giveaways at 44.
I corrected it, haha. That's what I get for glancing quickly.

That being said, generally speaking, the forwards that have a ton of giveaways are usually the guys that have the puck on their stick a lot - which is, again, not what we need Skinner to do. Whether he's on McDavid's wing or Leon's, they're both elite passers and excel with the puck on their stick. All Skinner needs to do is find a nice squishy area in the defence and fire away.

benfranklin

Jun 29, 2024
So tough because you have to shelter him defensively, but then also give him elite talent to feed him.

IMO they were better off targeting Kane, Tarasenko, Drouin, etc. So many comparable, yet better defensive options.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I corrected it, haha. That's what I get for glancing quickly.

That being said, generally speaking, the forwards that have a ton of giveaways are usually the guys that have the puck on their stick a lot - which is, again, not what we need Skinner to do. Whether he's on McDavid's wing or Leon's, they're both elite passers and excel with the puck on their stick. All Skinner needs to do is find a nice squishy area in the defence and fire away.
I think I caught and submitted my post at the same time, hahaha.

Problem is that Skinner isn't the greatest passer, so in general, you're going to want to see Skinner at the ending of the puck possession (see scoring goals) more so, than extending the puck possession.

benfranklin

Jun 29, 2024
I think I caught and submitted my post at the same time, hahaha.

Problem is that Skinner isn't the greatest passer, so in general, you're going to want to see Skinner at the ending of the puck possession (see scoring goals) more so, than extending the puck possession.
Hes so unique. Hes not tough like Hyman in front and hes not quite Reinhart chilling in the slot either. Hes kindof off in the corner doing nothing until it comes right to him.

Donner

Jul 16, 2022

Who is he replacing on the PP? Hyman? Draisaitl? He works well in front, but not doing the dirty work like Hyman, more being a cone until a rebound pops right to him, then his high end finishing will show up. Obviously not going to replace drais on that one timer spot with him.

This is a bad move for a playoff team. Please come back and quote my post next June.

Hes also signed for only 3M for 1 year. 3M is what some average third-liners get. If Skinner is a disaster, hell just be parked on the 4th line or scratched. Downside is fairly minimal

Upside is very appealing and this is a move a cap team like Edmonton has to make. They have can withstand the downside, and upside pushes you over the edge cup wise

I see Skinner similiar to Alex Semin back in 2012. A seasno or 2 removed from 40 goal, 80 point season. Seen as somewhat washed up, but goes to a new team and puts up a PPG season

A new team, new surrounding will rejuvanate a player

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Hes also signed for only 3M for 1 year. 3M is what some average third-liners get. If Skinner is a disaster, hell just be parked on the 4th line or scratched. Downside is fairly minimal

Upside is very appealing and this is a move a cap team like Edmonton has to make. They have can withstand the downside, and upside pushes you over the edge cup wise

I see Skinner similiar to Alex Semin back in 2012. A seasno or 2 removed from 40 goal, 80 point season. Seen as somewhat washed up, but goes to a new team and puts up a PPG season

A new team, new surrounding will rejuvanate a player
I'd add what is the alternative? Who else on a short term low dollars like this was available that could make an impact to our roster next year?

We have struggled for years to find someone to play top 6 RW. We've struggled to have a third line that can put up some points when the big dogs are struggling. Jackson went out and gave his coach a lot of players to help that situation out.

Donner

Jul 16, 2022
I'd add what is the alternative? Who else on a short term low dollars like this was available that could make an impact to our roster next year?

We have struggled for years to find someone to play top 6 RW. We've struggled to have a third line that can put up some points when the big dogs are struggling. Jackson went out and gave his coach a lot of players to help that situation out.
This exactly. For 3M you are either getting a reliable 3d liner, or flawed top 6 player. Reliable 3rd liner doesnt do much for the Oilers as they resigned most of the bottom 6 already and its pretty full

So this type of move is perfect. At best you get a top 6 winger for a low cap hit, at worst you get a player who doesnt work out and hes off the team next year

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
lol, couldn't answer my question
I wouldn't even bother arguing with someone that says "blud" and "fam". Calling our offense a strength when we lost 2-1 while our PK ans D clamped a lot of teams, is wildly out of touch. Looks like we are witnessing the effects of drinking too much Lean in real time.

jeffff

Oct 4, 2011
First off he's making a lousy 3 mil for 1 year.

Secondly:

We don't need him to be a stalwart defensively.
We don't need him to PK
We don't need him to help our PP
We don't need him to transport the puck up ice.

We need him to be a shoot first, put the puck in the net player.......which is exactly what he is. He's not replacing anyone, he's icing on the cake.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

I was responding to the "cost 50 goals against" statement made earlier. Points and plus/minus clearly refuted that. I know Skinner isn't a defensive beast. He doesn't need to be if he produces.

I think it's laughable to suggest a player is a "lost cause" after he regressed a year. Nobody is expecting him to put up 70 points as a 2nd line/2nd pp unit guy in Edmonton - or 1st PP unit if we decide to move Nuge down to 2 PP - Skinner would give us four lethal shots on the PP and the garbage man (Hyman) to put home rebounds. He doesn't have to though. At 6M, if he puts up 25 goals and 45-55 points, that's a huge win considering who he is replacing in the top six.

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
So tough because you have to shelter him defensively, but then also give him elite talent to feed him.

IMO they were better off targeting Kane, Tarasenko, Drouin, etc. So many comparable, yet better defensive options.
You used the JFresh card as evidence of Skinner's poor defensive play, specifically highlighting EV Defense. Tarasenko is at 1% and Kane is at 0%.

Also, both cost more money, which is a concern for a cap-strapped team.

Drouin, who had a bit of a jump defensively last year but still nothing to write home about, is not what I'd consider a high-level finisher. Skinner shoots more and with greater efficiency.

His defensive limitations are a concern, of course, but the team needed one shot scorer, and that's what they got.

Reactions: ManofSteel55

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

Secondly:

We don't need him to PK

We need him to be a shoot first, put the puck in the net player.......which is exactly what he is. He's not replacing anyone, he's icing on the cake.
Well, he's replacing the revolving door of guys who failed to produce on Draisaitl's wing, most likely.

Reactions: jeffff

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014

Secondly:

We don't need him to PK

Agreed on all except the PP. It's needed depth on PP1 for inevitable injuries, and along with Arvidsson the second unit is much more of a threat.

Reactions: jeffff

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad