Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] F Jeff Skinner signs with the Oilers (1 year, $3M)

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
Arvidsson was a good signing but this seems like overkill. If rumors are true and Evander Kane is being shoved out then maybe... but I think there are more pressing needs like D and Goalie. There is still a lot of time to re-shape but initally it looks like a big leap of faith in Broberg and Stuart Skinner. With 29 and 97 futures in the balance...
A Ceci upgrade would be nice.

A leap of faith with Broberg maybe, but Skinner, in his second season as an NHL starter got to game 7 of the finals. It’s not out of this world to think he’ll get a bit more consistent as he continues to age and get experience. He was never meant to be a starter this early but with the disastrous Campbell turnout, Skinner has picked up the slack and ran with it.

Reactions: Gordian Knot

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Button said he signed for too cheap. Jeff will be just fine Craig when you look at his career earnings.

Skinner Estimated Career Earnings: $76,714,140.00
That’s just Buttons flames homerism rearing it’s ugly and dumb head again.

What he means is he wishes Skinner signed for way more as he curses this signing under his breath cause he knows it’s a good one for the Oil.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
So if you were the GM , you'd be adding forwards and doing nothing on the back or in goal ?
If I was GM, I would be looking to improve the team in any way I could. I would have made it a priority to get the Janmark - Henrique - Brown line locked up, as they gelled well in the playoffs. I would have done like JJ did and look for value contracts to add to the roster around those signings. Typically, like this year, value signings means wingers or gambles on defensemen with injury history or warts on their game. I think it's better to make a value signing of a forward than to make a bad signing on the blueline. I'd have fixing my defense as my top priority, but given that there weren't any of the right player available in the price range, I would have signed some forwards instead.

I wouldn't do anything other than what was done by JJ to our goaltending. Skinner is a fine starter, and Pickard played well in relief last year, so I think saving money on goaltending is fine. At the end of the day, we didn't lost the finals because of our goaltending or defense. We lost because our depth scoring wasn't strong enough to overcome our stars not being able to carry the team, so adding scoring is a solid play, given the lack of defensemen that were signing in our price range.

SullivanT

May 9, 2015
Edmonton
If I were the Oilers GM , my primary concern would be defense and goal tending.

This isn't Yahoo fantasy from 2007.
This a team that had stellar defense and goaltending getting them to game 7 in the final losing by 1 goal? Only possible upgrade on defense you are making is maybe ceci and skinner almost had the same stats as Bob did .905vs.901 and 2.32 vs a 2.4. Not sure where you are finding this magic goaltender and what you expect to pay for him. Sure Skinner had a few bad games but he is improving year after year. Skinner is our guy he isn't going anywhere you are talking about a guy in his 2 year of NHL hockey.

Broberg also looks like he is ready if he continues to play like he did in the playoffs and now has a chance to get a full season under his belt. My guess is he will be slotted In permanently on the second pairing by the end of the year with wha the is showing looks like another decent defenseman in the making. Ceci and kulak looked alright when they were playing the 3rd pairing minus and taking ceci away from nurse made nurse look like a solid 2nd pairing defenseman top pairing of Bouchard and Ekholm had to of been one of the best defensive pairing this year and that combo has to be untouchable.

I'd say come trade deadline they Are looking for maybe a defensmen to give them some depth to interchange the bottom guys (unless some sweetheart deal comes along and they are able to land a top 3 guy) then maybe some other cheap pieces for depth incase of injury.

Other then that if someone told me that Oilers would have a second line of skinner Drai Ardvisson for 14.5 mill I would of told them they were crazy

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
^ It isn't always about the stats. Skinner is technically unsound. John Garrett brought up all the things he was doing wrong after every game on the post game shows. He ends up on his ass too often.

I don't mean to troll but you aren't going to do this again are you ? Stanley cup aspirations with Skinner ?

Barrsy

May 14, 2017

Thx Tips. Im pretty sure the org knows what to do. They arent some shit franchise that has won 3 rounds in the last 13 years & made the playoffs in all of 5 of those years.

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
^ It isn't always about the stats. Skinner is technically unsound. John Garrett brought up all the things he was doing wrong after every game on the post game shows. He ends up on his ass too often.
It’s only his second full season as a NHL goalie and he was forced to become a starter far sooner than he should’ve been due to the Campbell disaster.

It’s not crazy to think that he develops most consistency and composure over the next few seasons.

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
It’s only his second full season as a NHL goalie and he was forced to become a starter far sooner than he should’ve been due to the Campbell disaster.

It’s not crazy to think that he develops most consistency and composure over the next few seasons.
Yeah but it wouldn't hurt to pick up another journeyman goalie

A hockey trade involving a goalie

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
Blud, you got bigger things to worry about than other teams players; 0 points for McDavid in Games 6 and 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals.

The point of offseasons is to fix weaknesses, not add to strengths fam.
Yes, such a concern. Thanks for the heads up. We are very very concerned about the Conn Smythe winner.
What shall we do kids? Any ideas?

Reactions: VainGretzky

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007

I don't mean to troll but you aren't going to do this again are you ? Stanley cup aspirations with Skinner ?

Skinner is a .910 so far in his career. Over the past 3 years that has him tied with Adin Hill and Sergei Bobrovsky. Vasilevski is a .911 over that stretch. Demko is a screaming hot .913.

Those seem like pretty good goalies, 3 cups in the last 3 years in that group, and then…yknow..Demko.

But you’re saying the Oilers should tear everything apart to try to afford a bettrr goalie to guarantee their success? Any of whom who are performing at that level as UFas are making 10 million bucks. Tell me more.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
It's crazy to me how slow the posters on this site are at catching up with the present day. Seems like half the people here live 5 years in the past.

Here are a few truths.

1) The Oilers are a top 10 defensive team in the league. Do they have a top 10 defence? Probably not but a lot of things like forward back pressure, puck management, zone exits, possession time, team structure play a much larger part in team defence than the 6 guys playing the defence position.

2) The Oilers lacked goal scoring wingers and they just addressed that big time. Outside of Hyman the Oilers top scoring wingers who spent large periods in the top 6 were Kane (24), Foegele (20) and RNH (18). They just added two guys who have averaged 29 (Skinner) and 27 (Arvidsson) goals per 82GP throughout their careers playing with much less talent than Connor McDavid and Leon Draisaitl. This was a massive weakness of last year's roster.

3) Skinner is not an elite goaltender, and nor should he be given that he's paid less than a lot of back up goalies in this league. The Oilers understand his weaknesses and have tweaked their system to cover up those weaknesses and play to his strengths as a big positional goalie. The Oilers are trying to win the cup on a similar model to how Colorado won 2 years ago.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton

Who is available that is a significant upgrade on Skinner?

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017

In other words, you would either sign someone like OEL/Tanev to an insane deal or not sign anyone....

And you somehow think that is smart....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad