Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] F Jeff Skinner signs with the Oilers (1 year, $3M)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
So if you were the GM , you'd be adding forwards and doing nothing on the back or in goal ?
Considering the bargains the Oilers got some of those forwards to compared to the majority of disgusting contracts the defensemen signed... Yes.

Every Oiler fan knew Skinner would be the guy again next season, which I'm okay with. He's only 25 yrs old, signed for cheap, and there's still lots of room for him to grow his game

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
with Kane likely out longterm, Holloway is our most physical forward by a mile.

I think there's a chance we see something like this 5v5:

Skinner-McDavid-Hyman
Holloway-Draisaitl-Arvidsson
RNH-Henrique-Brown
Janmark-McLeod-Perry
Embarrassment of riches. Then toss in Kane near seasons end and holy crap!

Janmark Henrique Brown was an excellent line though leaves Holloway or Nuge the odd man out.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
I like what the Oil have done with Skinner and Ardvidsson. I’m just surprised the Oil haven’t found a way to get more of these guys into their line up over the years. Guys who still believe they have upside left in their careers who take short term contracts to play with McDrai and cash in after. Just needed to get rid of Holland I guess.

IB

Aug 20, 2009
Arvidsson was a good signing but this seems like overkill. If rumors are true and Evander Kane is being shoved out then maybe... but I think there are more pressing needs like D and Goalie. There is still a lot of time to re-shape but initally it looks like a big leap of faith in Broberg and Stuart Skinner. With 29 and 97 futures in the balance...

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Button said he signed for too cheap. Jeff will be just fine Craig when you look at his career earnings.

Skinner Estimated Career Earnings: $76,714,140.00

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
You don't sign skinner ro drive play from the 3rd line you get him to play with your play drivers to compliment them and score goals

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Arvidsson was a good signing but this seems like overkill. If rumors are true and Evander Kane is being shoved out then maybe... but I think there are more pressing needs like D and Goalie. There is still a lot of time to re-shape but initally it looks like a big leap of faith in Broberg and Stuart Skinner. With 29 and 97 futures in the balance...

The truth about Broberg is the Oilers have been slow-rolling his development for years, he is a top pedigree elite skating defenceman. It was scary injecting him in the lineup deep in a playoff run, but overall his arrival is well-expected. typical Ken Holland overripening of prospects. Now that he has SCF games under his belt where he not only didnt look out of place but looked good even in a top 4 role on his off-side…. Where’s the risk? Another 82 games and this guy will be well-seasoned and reliable as a top6 D minimum.

Skinner is interesting, he was a rookie last year and I think a lot of consternation and blame was unfairly placed at his feet. What do you expect of a rookie league min goalie exactly? Carrying a team to a cup? In his hometown under mega pressure no less. This year as a sophomore and with a fresh contract, it was fair to expect a little more. Jack Campbell was the presumptive veteran #2 out of the gates (which he failed at), but Skinner came in preparing and understanding that this was his net. There were ups and downs, but this guy is still a SOPHOMORE……

What’s more, is that this guy gets paid very little. The Oilers roster is constructed down the middle with a huge percentage of the cap going to star centers (and Nurse). The way the oilers are built, they’re not looking for Skinner to outperform a 10+ million $ goalie on the other end of the sheet. Thats our franchise centers jobs. His job is just to hold us in games, and he is now battle-tested down to game 7 of a SCF where he only allowed 2 goals. IMO it’s hard not to be bullish on what Skinner is capable of (behind tHIS team, to be clear - i dont think he would be carrying the Ducks to a playoff berth anytime soon, if you get me).

So anyway… longwinded way of saying, I think they are alright on the Skinner/Broberg front. They may look to upgrade 1 RD in-season if they can swing it, but Broberg will be in the top 6 all year guaranteed.

Draisaitl has had to carry around shamefully below-average wingers for most of his career and even then he has had good results. If 100% of the weight of line 2 production wasn’t on him, maybe it wouldn’t have been completely shut down in the later rounds in the playoffs when he was injured. If theres 3 good players on the Drai line, my man will COOK when healthy, and if injured they’ll still be a decent line instead of being totally anemic. Giving Drai some help is overdue and could pay dividends.

Reactions: McNuge and PuckG

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
The Oilers issue in the finals was scoring goals. They lost in the finals in the games they couldn't score. McDavid couldn't score 4 points per game every night. Adding 1 right handed d-man would definitely be nice but having Holloway and Foegele as your best options to play in the top 6 is a major weakness (Holloway isn't there yet). The Oilers needed some top 6 forwards. Kane wasn't consistent enough or healthy enough and there was no other winger in the lineup that consistently produced offense 5 on 5 outside of Hyman. The Oilers second line wingers have been weak for years now.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
I like what the Oil have done with Skinner and Ardvidsson. I’m just surprised the Oil haven’t found a way to get more of these guys into their line up over the years. Guys who still believe they have upside left in their careers who take short term contracts to play with McDrai and cash in after. Just needed to get rid of Holland I guess.

Trade deadline we'll squeeze a few more vets who are out of the playoff race.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad